Flat on back after surgery??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat on back after surgery??

Has any one had issues sleeping on back after surgery? People often complain about good sleeping posture because of curves (Kyphosis)

I am wondering if people can lie flat on back with out much pain (after surgery) and do they still need pillow to support protruding neck?

I sleep fine on my back as long as i have a pillow under my knees.

Comment

I was very uncomfortable on my back after surgery. Mainly because they removed part of my rib and when I'd lay on my back it would put pressure on that area and hurt like hell. I found that proping up with pillows on that side helped out. You just have to becareful that you aren't twisting your body when you prop up. I'm now nearly 6 months post op and can sleep on my back now with out pain in the rib area but, I often get uncomfortable sleeping in that one position (in the fusion site) so I flip from side to side. It's ok to sleep like this as long as you put a pillow between your legs.
      Shelly
      Anterior Spinal Fusion and titanium rod and screws inserted to correct 45 degree thoracolumbar curve from T12 - L4 on 1/4/06.

Comment

I just got back from P.T. and had asked about sleeping on my stomach (since I do) and he said side or back is best. You should be able to sleep on your back fine, when on your side you need to put a pillow between your knees and a small one under your waist to lay perfectly on your side. Best wishes.

Comment

I can sleep on my back with or without pillows under my legs. It does feel better with a pillow. I prefer sleeping on my side...I want to feel the pillow on my face. I spent 40+ years belly sleeping with my face on the pillow...sleeping on my side with my face on the pillow is the next best thing.

Kindest Regards,
          Gail

Comment

Sideways

Sleeping on side, doesn’t that put pressure on spine when it’s still not fully fused?

Comment

Working...
            X