Thread: Stopping Pain Meds

Stopping Pain Meds

Hi
    I'm curious as to when some of you started weaning yourself off your pain medication? Did you try taking less on your own (like I am) or let the doctor tell you when the right time was? I'm wondering when I'll most likely be done taking medication. 3 months? 4 months?.......
    Thanks
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Red face

I took my pain meds about 3 months then as I had less pain I took less.
    By about 6 months I was taking none. I am 8 months post op and I take no pain meds. If I do something that strains the muscles in my back I use a heating pad. The moist heat helps me more than dry. That is just my experience and every one is different. I would say use your own judgement.
    Good luck......... Mattie

Hi Jenn,

At 4 mos. post-op I'm still taking 3-4 norco per day. My Dr. said up to 6 mos. is normal. Pain isn't worth it if you go too long between meds. I use as I feel nessary at this point. I do remember wanting to wean off them at your stage of recovery but it might be too soon. Listen to yout body. best wishes.

I only had prescription Codeine for less than a month, and asked for a few more but at about one month they didn't want to give more. Took Tylenol extra strenght and it didn't do anything, so my GP prescribed NSAIDs and I stopped taking them as they were giving me bad side effects and didn't do much either-fortunately.

I wish I had known about other types of meds like Neurontin and also that my orthos should have been more attentive to my pain, b/c being in so much pain made my recuperation slower and longer- I was less active than I should have been.

For me, icing helps more than heat. Heat gives me inflammation.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Thumbs down Nsaids!!!!

Unfortunately a GP does not realize that NSAIDS interfere with fusion.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Jenn,
    I was 30 when I had my surgery. I began taking less of the pain meds and more Tylenol at about 4 weeks. I then was trying to only take the pain meds at night before bed. I'd say that I was off of them completely by 8 weeks and then on Tylenol only after a long day at work & at bedtime for another couple of months. I completely stopped taking Tylenol by the end of 6 months. My husband and I made the timing decisions together while consulting my surgeon.

wow
    That's great Heidi. Thanks for the info
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

All depends on the individual and the extent of pain you are experiencing. I know I was on Codine for at least 2 month. I found that I had to ween myself off the stuff. (addictive) Then I took Tylenol for times when needed, but slowly took myself off of that too.