Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just back from surgery...heres my recovery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for replying Stephanie. I think for you it was definitely the best decision, and I'm sure it will be wonderful once your body heals.

I have said this before, but it absolutely baffles me how my doctor told me "scoliosis does not cause pain" - yet your doctor insisted it's the main reason. I think this is what makes this whole condition and the decisions we have to make that much more difficult.

I agree that this forum has opened my eyes to the world of scoliosis that for some reason I had totally ignored before now. My doctor as a teenager never mentioned my future might involve an increasing curve.

I am actually going to get my xrays tomorrow from the last time I saw my doctor (I was 16 - so, 9 years ago). So I'll continue the "quest" for answers!

Best of luck!

Comment

Hi Stephanie and Jamie,

You both show so much courage and strength at such a young age. It's inspiring. Just think, after this experience, you gals can do anything!!!

It's a difficult surgery to go through but, you will wear it with pride and self confidence.

Shari

Comment

Scoliosis does not cause pain????

JamieAnn - was this a scoliosis doctor that said "scoliosis does not cause pain"? I had pain from 12 years old until almost 28 when I had my surgery. That is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard! Granted there are people that do not experience pain and their curves were worse than mine, but certainly there are many people with pain. He should come on this website and read about all these people that are suffering -he may change his mind. Okay, I'm finished......Have a great day! LYNN
        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
        2000 Partial Rod Removal
        2001 Right Scapular Resection
        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

This is why the decision to have surgery was so tough for me. I was in minimal pain with large curves that would only continue to progress. If I was in a lot of pain, I would've had the surgery years ago! I keep my fingers crossed that I made the right decision in the long run.
          Jenn
          37 y/o female
          60 degree lumbar
          45 degree thoracic
          1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
          T 5 to S 1
          NYC

Comment

Summer - I'm beginning to think I may end up doing the same as you, even if I don't experience pain. I have minimal pain, like when I'm driving especially. But nothing that I've ever taken pain killers for. I just usually whine about it and that's it.

But regardless, my curve has gotten 13 degrees worse in 9 years. To me, that's a good indicator it will continue! I just picked up my xrays from when I was 16 today actually. I'd like to bring them when I go back.

Anyway I give you credit for your decision and I'm sure it was the best thing for you. Good luck with your healing!

Jacque's Mom - he's a well-known doctor actually! I will ask him again when I go back, because since I was there I'm thoroughly confused!

Jamie

Comment

My experience not nearly as bad.

Having gotten a good idea what to expect beforehand from other forums, being a nurse myself and gotten good hints on how to mitigate the discomforts my experience was no way near to Stephanie's --even though my revision surgery was far more extensive. Plus I was muuuch older.

1) I demanded and got adequate pain relief.
              2) I had private duty nurses around the clock-they met my every need.
              3) I went to a rehab hospital where I was taught how to move about with less pain, gave excellent pain relief, and where they ordered the medical equipment I would need at home(elevated toilet seat, walker and grabbers).
              4) Made myself move and turn by using Pilates principles.
              5) Got household help for a month after discharge from rehab during the day since my husband had to work.
              6) Used a pain management doc for a few months into recovery to enable me to be active and sleep well avoiding the pitfalls of dependency.

This type of surgery--except for adolescents-is quite a marathon and requires "training" in advance and realistic expectations. There is no reason for it to be torture.
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

what a difference.....

Well here we are just a few days later and i feel sooo much better. For 1 we changed my pain meds and that has helped so much. For 2 i have been getting out of the house. Dr. said i could drive now but i am not quite ready ( just a litte scared..i am not sure at just 2/3 weeks post op ). Anyway, things are much better than the hospital days. I have been to the grocery store,visited some family,the bank,a purse party and even ate in a few resturaunts.Thank God it wasn't bad. Most people would not have thought i just had this all major back operation except i walk slow.(and plus the no bending lifting twisting turning)All in all things are going well. I am not in as much pain now that i switched from the Lortab to Percocet. I still have a not so good time with sleep. I fall asleep fine and sleep almost ok but i wake up at like 6 or 7 everyday when i usually wake up at like 11 am. Plus i am going to bed at like 12:30 1 o'clock.The dr. prescribed me Lunesta for sleep but i am afraid to try it. I also have Lyrica for pain and it makes me drowsy so i just take that in the evening. Point is thank goodness EVERYDAY REALLY DOES GET BETTER. Just wanted to say not as stiff and feeling good! Stephanie
                Stephanie
                T11 to L3
                1 rib removed
                June 5, 2006

Comment

stephanie--sounds like you are much better now! Just curious: where did you have your surgery? NY? & Dr? and was it just anterior?? thks, Ly

Comment

I'm wondering the same, as I'm in the area as well! Curious what hospital you were at.

I'm glad you hear you're getting better each day Stephanie!

Comment

my surgery...

i am actually in Michigan in a suburb of Detroit. I only had anterior i believe even though my scar is from just under my or on the side of my left breast area to around my side up my back. It's about 12 or so inches long. But it is very thin and looks nice so far. I have lots of pics i am gonna post both before and after plus the x-rays,rib hump and scar i just gotta figure out how to get them online. I know my dr. and hospital probobly won't help much anymore since now you know i am in MI but incase anyone else cares i was at William Beaumont Hospital In Royal Oak, MI. It is an excellent hospital. My dr. was Dr. Jeffery Fischgrund of West Bloomfield and has another office in Southfield. He was wonderful. Both as a surgeon and as a person. I had complete trust in him and believe he did an amazing job. He has a website that has a short ( like 2-3 minute ) video type thing that shows what the procedure is like. It shows the hardware and bone graft ( i did not have a graft I used my rib ) and this one shows of the whole spine approach but it gives good info. I'll find the page and put the info on here if anyone is interested.
                      Stephanie
                      Last edited by fitiani33; 06-24-2006, 10:53 PM.
                      Stephanie
                      T11 to L3
                      1 rib removed
                      June 5, 2006

Comment

the website.....

i think this will get you there....

http://www.understandspinesurgery.co...ient_education

if not i went to www.understandspinesurgery.com and then went to find a doctor my zip code that i put in was 48126 and when i found Jeffery Fischgrund i clicked on his dr. page. I then went to patient education and the video pops up just click on spine and then a whole menu comes up on which video you want to see. They have scoilios of course plus others like herniated disc,degeneration,tumors,stenosis,siatica and many more. They each have a short clip on what is done during surgery. It is very interesting.

here might be another way to get threre...... http://www.understandspinesurgery.co...ient_education

sorry i am not the greatest with computers.
                        Stephanie
                        Stephanie
                        T11 to L3
                        1 rib removed
                        June 5, 2006

Comment

Hi Stephanie,

It sounds like your doing well under the circumstances!!! The only time I left the house was to go to my Dr. visits. Out and about in 3 weeks is outstanding.

Shari

Comment

my 3rd week.....

I thank God everyday and i am so happy that just at the beginning of my 3rd week i am able to do what i do. Both yesterday and today i was able to stay out most of the day. I mean from like 3 in the afternoon till like 11 at night. I was able to go to some stores go out and eat and visit with famiy,both days. And the 2 days before those i was out for the dr.s appointments and went and ate and came home. I can't get over what a difference between each day. During the hospital days and week 1 i never thought i would be able to get thru this. I though it would be way too hard for too long. But thank God it has not been bad at all. So to anyone who is just back from surgery, know it gets better soon. I am amazed how much better it has gotten. Don't get me wrong, i still take it VERY easy and do not bend lift twist or turn, and i am very careful and looking foward to the days and months to come.

Stephanie
                            Stephanie
                            T11 to L3
                            1 rib removed
                            June 5, 2006

Comment

You are an inspiration to us all. I appreciate the detailed days of misery and recovery. I am so glad to hear that you are feeling so much better!! Thanks for keeping posting!

Comment

Stephanie... First of all, i'm SO glad that you are improving as quickly as you are!! You are just doing great!! Keep up that courage and determination!!

Secondly, your experiences brought back so many memories of my time in the hospital as well... The good thing is that those dark days soon fade from your memory and the GOOD days outweigh the bad more all the time!

And thirdly, don't be afraid to use the Lunesta if you need help sleeping. As you decrease your pain medicine, your nights may grow long and restless without something. I was prescribed Lunesta by my GP and i asked both her and my pharmacist if it is ok to take it in addition to all the other things i had. They both assured me it was ok. It is gentle and safe. The only side effect i've ever experienced from it is a bad taste in my mouth. The pill itself isn't bitter going down, but a few hours later (or in the morning if i don't rouse during the night), i notice a funny taste... but it is nothing compared to the benefit of a restful night's sleep. Just don't give up on it without trying it if you need something...

Again, Stephanie, i think you are very brave and doing wonderfully well being so active already!!! (((hugs))) God bless you and speed you along to wellness!!

JoAnn

Comment

Working...
                                X