What Caused Infection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Caused Infection

My daughters incision opened after her 2nd surgery in 2004, done to shorten right rod hoping that was causing her pain. The doctor said the infection was not in the fusion. She had it closed by a plastic surgeon after 4 weeks since her prom was coming up. For a while now she has been on a low dose antibiotic for constant UTI's and kidney infection. Her first UTI was 4 months after 1st surgery (2000). There is no explanation for UTIs by her urologist. (Dr. Boachie-Adjei) Since her back also always hurts she went to a new doctor, and he says an infection could be in the fusion but will not know until he goes in again. He wants to remove here hardware, but says if the fusion did not take he will have to do it all over again. Shes flipping out. In her original surgery they took bone from the bone bank and not from her hip (suggestion by her doctor.) Has anyone ever heard infections coming from the bonebank? or was it a staph infection.

We don't know what to do!!

1st Surgery 7/2000 - Dr. Richard Ulin, NYC
    2nd Surgery 5/2004 - Dr. Paul Kuflik, NYC

infection

Did she have any dental work not covered by antibiotics, ear or body piercing?--since her surgeries??

These things can send bacteria into the blood and to the fusion. Since staph is a skin germ on everyone body piercings can do that.
    That is why Dr. Boachie is adamant about antibiotics forever with any breach of the skin.

On the other hand this may not apply to your daughter at all.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Karen,

Oh my, my surgeon did not warn me! I had about 100 needle pricks on both my legs to take care of spider veins about 1 yr post-op! I didn't take any antibiotics! I am now 3 yrs post op. Is there any chance I could have infection lingering in my body? I'm doing o.k. and feeling fine. I would have a fever if I had any infection wouldn't I?

I already take antibiotics for dental appts...not because my surgeon told me to do so, but because of a heart murmur.

Kindest Regards,
      Gail

Comment

Gail,
        No one can answer such a question on-line.

Usually infections manifest themselves by: pain, swelling, fever and elevated blood white cell counts.
        Last edited by Karen Ocker; 06-21-2006, 02:07 PM. Reason: unwanted smiley
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Originally posted by Gail
          Karen,

Oh my, my surgeon did not warn me! I had about 100 needle pricks on both my legs to take care of spider veins about 1 yr post-op! I didn't take any antibiotics! I am now 3 yrs post op. Is there any chance I could have infection lingering in my body? I'm doing o.k. and feeling fine. I would have a fever if I had any infection wouldn't I?

I already take antibiotics for dental appts...not because my surgeon told me to do so, but because of a heart murmur.

Kindest Regards,
          Gail
          This is really starting to confuse me, my orthos and dentist said it wasn't necessary but I will take the antibiotics before going to the dentist anyways. Surgoen told me it was more for extensive work, like root canals. But you're now talking about needles, and I get blood drawn every year and I'm starting to be confused here, not to sound silly
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

antibiotics "forever"?

The instructions I got referred to procedures that break the skin/mucous membranes-not injections.

Examples my doctor gave me were &C, dental cleaning/restoration, minor/major surgery, colonoscopy. My surgeon wrote specific prescriptions when asked. Different antibiotics might be used for bone procedures as opposed to colon procedures because of the types of bacteria released. In other words: not all types of bacteria respond to all antibiotics.

It could be because I had a revision which was very extensive rather than a first time surgery that I might be more vulnerable.

Comment

I also had a colonoscopy 9 months post-op with no antibiotics. I think with everything I have read...I would rather be safe than sorry. I'm requesting antibiotics from my GP in the future.

Kindest Regards,
              Gail

Comment

Okay, not to be paranoid but do post surgery kids need to worry about skin lacerations? Could these warrant antibiotic treatment?
                Kate

Comment

Working...
                X