exercising and being athletic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot tub

A big no-no for me Heat all around is worse for me in general. I know it's different and some like it, but I prefer the cold. When I had a lot of pain last Summer before getting my rod fixed, I LOVED going to the grocery store in the cold sections, I swear some of the pain would go away in seconds. I used my freezer a lot too.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I can't withstand the cold.If I get into just a heated swimming pool the skin and muscles in my back start to quiver and I feel shockey. I took the boat out last week with the grand kiddos and I got sprayed by a jet ski. I thought I was going to die for sure before I got dried off. However, I can sit with an ice pack on my lower back and it seems to numb it and knocks down the swelling.
      March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
      15 1/2 Hours
      Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Hi Back...

I wonder if you should talk to a neurologist. There are syndromes (e.g. Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy/Complex Regional Pain Syndrome) that sometimes have symptoms like you describe.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Backtalk I can relate to a certain degree since I had to have the heaters on pretty high all Winter after this last surgery, and I see that some of the shaking did lessen with time. But it has to be chilly for me to feel that way, I just went to a heated pool yesterday and didn't even get in the pool, just browsed a bit and it was so hot and humid I had to get out of there.

I really hope you feel better soon and don't have all kinds of strange symptoms that are a pain for you. At least you're not letting it beat you down, and are pretty active, I love reading your posts and really admire your determination. Hang in there.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I had my spinal fusion 25 July 2005. And I had an emergency appendectomy/oophorectomy in April of 2006 (with a cut from my navel all the way down). I am fused from T5 to L1 and I can do yoga, run 1/4 of a mile (as long as I am holding onto something like my daughters stroller) I am also still rather flexible and can do situps by using a big pilates ball. Pushups are another thing though. I feel like a screw is coming loose when I try one of those. I am also able to work out using resistance bands as well. After a workout I find that using my tens unit and some icepacks help out a bunch! Also, now that it's summer time I can start swimming (as soon as the weather clears up) The only thing I have to be careful about is when I have to arch my back. That I can no longer do But when you have to do yoga poses that require a straight back with great posture I'm definitely a shoe in! Take care in all that do and don't forget to ask your doctor about what you can or can't do. Be lucky that you don't have a year to get back in shape as far as running 1.5 miles and conducting pushups and situps as required by the USAF ~Shelley
            Last edited by itsjustme; 07-02-2006, 09:51 PM.
            25 yr old female =^_^=
            Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
            Lumbar curve 23 degrees
            surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
            Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

HI,

I too, am a mother of 3, I had my surgery in 1983. I've found that if I'm careful, I can do pretty much anything, escept of course situps!
              I am also in the seattle area, Up near marysville. What area are you in?

Comment

Working...
              X