exercising and being athletic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exercising and being athletic

I'm contemplating surgery, at age 40 w. two kids, single mom.. My curves have continued to slowly worsen throughout life despite working out A LOT. I see so much discussion here about hardware, etc. but how many of you can do things like walk five miles, touch your toes, go to the gym for yoga or weights... ? I'm not being facetious, really need to know!!! I have always loved working out, and if this surgery will take that away, I might not be willing to make the trade... I would be getting my thoracic and lumbar spine fused, sounds like 3-5 vertebrae in each... they are curves in the oppoiste directions, the lumbar is the larger, fifty degrees, I think... What is your physical life really like, with segments of spine fused like this? I am terribly anxoius and feel like I have to choose between the "lesser of 2 evils.." If I don't do it, the prognosis is increasing pain and discomfort and an ever more scrunched torso... I want to work and live fully past 90... any input appreciated! single mommy in seattle.
    60 plus lumbar, 45 thoracic
    first time surgery maybe in Dec 2006
    40 years old, single professional mommy

What can you do?

Hi This is an interesting topic. I guess it depends on ones serverity of curves, fittness and attitude (and dont forget the pain threshold!)

Sorry just re-read the question and it is aimed at people who have had surgery. I'll post this anyway.
    I havent had surgery and am not considering it at this stage as I think my curves are 1/2 the thread starters: Mebo
    I dont do weights at present as I dont belong to a gym, but if I put my back "out" I would avoid lifting anything that pulls the spine.

Whats Great For Me: Jogging, very slow, focus on posture and a stable torso.
    Walking up hill, basic yoga stretches, Swimming freestyle where I breathe both sides every 3rd or 5th stroke - I also use flippers sometimes and other times a float between the legs so I dont get a roll happening with the hips and I can really stretch out with my arms. I'm not that fit, very thin with good muscle but weak abs. I would love to do kayaking and that is the motivation for me to get fitter so I can sit in that position and enjoy the water.

Whats Terrible: Slow walking, like shopping for clothes in malls=PAIN!
    Working at the computer! Horse-riding: havent been back on the saddle for 7 years since that trek and have no desire to! Backpacks.

Good luck with your choice Mebo.

Comment

Hi Mebo...

I'm 13 years postop, age 56. I can walk 5 miles, as long as I'm going fast. (Slow walking really hurts my lower back.) I don't go to the gym. I haven't tried in a long time, but I suspect that yoga would be painful for me. I do some PT exercises almost every day.

You don't mention if you have pain. I personally think that should be a stronger variable than an increasing curve or a "scrunched torso." If you don't have a lot of pain, I think you should consider holding out, at least for awhile. Just my opinion. :-)

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

weight lifting after surgery

You are smart to ask.

I had my fusion in 1986. In the early 1990's, I took up weight lifting and I really liked how my body felt and looked. The trouble is, after 2 years of lifting, I noticed that my workouts were becoming more painful. My surgeon says, "if it hurts, don't do it"--they all say that by the way. So I stopped. Later, I also had to cut out softball and raquetball. Too much twisting and turning.

I have always walked (2 miles a day easily), in fact walking is probably what kept me from gaining a lot of weight over the years. I could also touch my toes until recently, you just need to keep your muscles stretched. Never tried Yoga, so can't comment there.

I think it is possible to have a good weight lifting routine, as long as you don't overstress your unfused spine. I haven't met any trainers that really understand this concept, but I think others in this forum have.

Comment

exercising and being athletic

I don't balme you for asking, it something I wish I would of known more about when I had my surgery.
          I had surgery in 1985, at 17, was diagnosed in 84. I was a very athletic teen, but unfortunatly had to give up alot little by little. I did continue with track, and Volley and alot of the other sports threw out highschool, but then slowly let some go due to just not feeling well.
          Today I am a mother of two children, I swim (very cautiously,) but am very carful not to go on my stomack cause it causes me to over extend and it is just not comfortable (makes me sick cause it is very bad feeling)we think it is in part due to the rod being broken in that area.(everyone doc. as a different view on it)
          I do low impact arobics (danse arobics) I speed walk, when I can, and bike for short periode of time.
          I think the bottome line is some excersies help one pain situation but make another worse, everyone is different, our bodies ajust each of us differently to hardware.
          But, I think it is safe to say that you will be mobile and will be able to do some form of excersise just differently now. You will have to make certain ajustement to your routine that will work with your operation.
          I would make sure to discuses this with you type surgerie he wants to do, and the levels he wants to fuse.
          Good luck, Back up again Cic.

Comment

Again, it depends...

But speaking for myself, as of now I can just walk and go to the pool but I had surgery in December.

When I healed from my first surgery I was able to do some light weight lifting, walking(not slow, pretty fast), swimming, and stationary biking. I was 26, very thin and very flexible before the surgery, and as much as I stretched everyday and tried to be the most flexible I could be, it was very hard to reach my toes and I'm fused to L2. Some can do it and can also do yoga-wich I can't even think about, it would hurt too much in my case.

Good luck with your decision and think wisely before choosing what you will do.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi, Mebo,
              I had my surgery 40 years ago when I was 14. I have Harrington rods and am fused from T-3 to L-3. The primary thoracic curve of 87 degrees was reduced to 37 degrees. In my opinion, I have led a normal life; husband, children, profession, travel, etc. About 5 years ago, I started an exercise program. First I worked with a physical therapist, then I "graduated" to a trainer at our local gym. I work out three times per week. A session consists of a warm-up, stretching, the workout, then more stretching. It is amazing how many things a person with rods and a long fusion is able to do! As I have said in previous posts, I am able to touch my toes without bending my knees. As an example, I am also able to do bicep curls or hammer curls with a 15 lb. free weight in each hand. I have found that a customized program is more effective than classes, such as yoga, because you are unable to arch your back after having surgery. Looking back over the past 5 years, I feel that I have made tremendous progress in improving my physical condition and I believe that there will be many new goals to reach. Finally, it is important to remember that each person's physical condition and scoliosis situation is different. As a result, each person's ability to participate in physical activity after healing from surgery will vary considerably.
              Good luck with your decision.
              Shelley

Comment

I had surgery 23 years ago at age 15. I have a fairly long fusion (T1 to L3). I am very active with biking, walking, and running, and occasionally canoeing and hiking. The main issues are pain and flexibility, and I'm not sure what your current levels of pain and flexibility are. Gymnastics-type activities are out. I agree with Shelley that an individualized program is best. I tried a yoga class once, and it just did not work, but I'm sure with an experienced and patient instructor, modifications could be made for you. I religiously do my physical therapy exercises, and they really help. It is hard to strengthen certain muscles in the stomach because of the lack of flexibility. but the physical therapy does help with this. The lack of flexibility is second-nature to me now, but the pain from other back problems, is the main problem for me. I have not always been able to be as active as I now am, but I've always found something I can do. I wish you well with your decision; it's not an easy one.
                Nan
                1983 Harrington Rod T1-L3

Comment

more from mebo

thanks for the input. sounds like how much flexibility and activity people engage in is quite varied, and not in direct proportion to how many vertebrae were fused. nor does it seem to directly correlate with fitness prior to surgery, or age... this is not really comforting, since it tells me that there is no way to know how "athletic" i can be, after. When you say, after surgery you cannot "arch your back" -- to what extent IS that? Don't we sort of arch our back 100s of times a day...?

A couple people asked about what sort of pain I have now. Well, it varies, but the most intense chronic pain sits inside the big, hump/ lumpy area of muscle/ turned vertebrae in the left lumbar spine. Sometimes the scapula area on teh opposite side hurts, but it seems like all my tension and pain are buried tight and deep in this one place. On days like today it is a constant despite 6 asprin, 3 advil, plus my Wellbutrin (for what that's worth...) it's mostly muscle pain ,but there is a constant tension in this whole part of my that never ever seems to release, and only exercise has improved it for periods of time. I guess that's what scared me - losing that joy of pain free, intense time when I am exercising. But my hip joints are aching more now days, too... Anyway, my pain is far from debilitating, but on the other hand it has worsened, is supposedly going to continue to do so, and often turns me into a real you-know-what with my kids. Also I am single and either way - -with or without this huge surgery, I wonder will I ever find a guy who can deal with all this. Those of you who already had wonderful husbands, that's different than meeting a guy who wants to take on a 40 year old single mother dealing with a serious physical condition....
                  60 plus lumbar, 45 thoracic
                  first time surgery maybe in Dec 2006
                  40 years old, single professional mommy

Comment

After surgery, the fused vertebrae do not move forward, backward or anywhere else. A person's mobility comes from the coordination of and compensation by the unfused vertebrae, as well as other bone and muscle structures within the body. I am able to touch my toes because the vertebrae below L-3 are not fused, as well as the fact that my hamstring and abdominal muscles are in decent shape.
                    My reference to "arching one's back" would be best described by the position of an ice skater doing a layback spin (use google to find pictures of layback spin). This just can't be done after a long fusion.
                    Hopefully someone with a better knowledge of anatomy will be able to explain this further.
                    Shelley

Comment

It's a hard decision to make, and you at least know some of the risks and the pros and cons. It also depends on the degree of your curvature, wether surgery should be in your future if it increases too much.

I know it sounds cliche, but when you meet a person and they truly like you and enjoy your company, whatever comes with it(medical conditions, for example) can be dealt with. Everybody has problems, I know some are greater than others but that's when you see if a person is genuine and worth it. It's not easy though, I know.

You will mostly still be able to be athletic, but not as flexible. For some people, it's more important than for others, but pain is hard to deal with too.

Good luck with your decision, and it's good that you're still exercising so much
                      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Mebo, I'm 46 & had been very athletic pretty much up until about 3 yrs ago. That's when I basically started to drop in height & feel the curves increase..
                        My hump is what (if anythg) gives me aches. My sisters told me on a vacation w/ them recently that I walked from the pool with my hand on my left backside. Guess they assumed it was bothering me. Maybe I've grown so accustomed to aches & adapted my 'walk' to them ..
                        I can definitely touch my toes & am flexible but my lower spine is calcified which leads me to believe it will take some time to rotate/move it.....I'll find out soon enough..........Ly

Comment

For Mebo- Regarding relationships and scoli.

I just wanted to comment on your worries about finding someone, being in the situation you are in.
                          Relationships are hard whether you are having surgery or not. it take alot of courage and strenght,mentaly and emotionaly, to be able to deal with this condition. i find that everyone in this forum, very couragous and should be proud. Because I know alot of people who would not survive 10 minutes in our shoes.
                          Mebo you should feel proud of yourself for what you live with, what you have survived. Just the simple fact that you are a single Mom, is alot to be proud of. To me you are quite the survivor, and anyone who gets to know you for you, will feel the same way. Proud. A surgery shouldn't change that. My husband and children our proud of my courage and strenght, and when you find the right person they will admire you for you courage and strenght as well. I admire you, for being a single Mom. I have two and don't know if I could ever raise them alon . Bravo to you.
                          As far as your surgery, once you speak with your doctor on the specifics of your fusion, he will be in a better position to tell you what to expect.
                          Let us know what he says. Take care. Back up again Cécile.
                          Last edited by CicfromOttawa; 06-22-2006, 11:09 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't let exercise be the deciding factor, at least unless you dream of being a gymnast, contortionist, or ballet dancer!
                            I just posted in the triatholon thread about what I do, so I won't repeat it all, but I am 30 years old (15 years post op) and am more active now than I ever was as a child. I did have to give up ballet and gymnastics, but have grown to love multi-sport racing now.
                            Whatever vertebraes get fused are the ones that you can't move or arch. So I haven't arched my back in 15 years! (although I'd kill if I could just pop it once!) I can bend at my neck and at my waist, but I can't touch my toes anymore. This only limits me in a few aspects (such as some yoga poses, doing crunches, and I have to make some adaptions to some of the things I do).
                            I do endure lots of pain from vigorous training (sometimes 3-4 hours after working a 8-9 hour day) and make sure to care for what is hurting by applying ice and heat, but I hardly ever attribute these pains to my rods, but to just normal training (I assume many athletes have the same pains I have)
                            Good luck with your decision!
                            Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
                            Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Hi Mebo, I am only just over 3 months post op and I work out at the rec center every other day. I use the weight mach. for my upper arms and legs with no problem. I can't lift anything yet that uses my back muscles of course. I can't do a 5 mile walk yet, but I am getting close. What has really been a drag is I can't use the hot tub. They keep it a 103 and believe it or not it heats up my rods. It gets to the point that the heat will swell my lower back so bad I need a cane to get back to the dressing room. I guess in time that will pass.
                              Jess
                              March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
                              15 1/2 Hours
                              Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                              X