Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prostetic for Opposing Side of Rib Hump

Hi -

Has anyone ever heard of a reconstruction surgery to place a prostetic (sp?) on the opposite side of the upper rib hump, so that the two sides look more equal? Perhaps a shaped piece of plastic screwed onto the ribs on the left side.

No - do you mean you HAVE heard of it or do you just think it would be a good idea?

Comment

I've thought of the possibilities of that before, but that would certainly be pioneering in the plastic surgery industry if it were to occur. I find it pretty bizarre for an idea as a whole.

Comment

opposite side of hump

Yes, I've seen that in the academic literature somewhere to improve the cosmetic result. It is a new procedure. I do not remember which center is doing this.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Karen...

I haven't seen anything on this, so if you find it, please let me know.

Thanks!

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I don't see how there'd be enough room between the superficial and deep layers of the back muscles to keep any implant(s) in place. Placing something under the skin would eventually cause it to drop down...

Anchoring it onto the ribs would restrict movement during respiration
            30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
            2005 - T50, L31
            bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
            2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
            Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Thoracoplasy on the "sunken side"

It's called "expansion thoracoplasty".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_DocSum

This article says they use a titanium rib. It's been used in children with congenital scoliosis who are in danger of hypoplastic(too small) lungs.
              The follow up study shows annual improvement in the children's lung capacity.

This is at the Children's Hospital in Pittsburg, PA
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Karen...

That's not really a cosmetic procedure. While it actually does provide some cosmetic improvement, it's done as a stop-gap measure for kids who aren't old enough for fusion. Perhaps Carmell will see your message and post more details. Her son, Braydon, has gone through the procedure.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker
                  It's called "expansion thoracoplasty".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_DocSum

This article says they use a titanium rib. It's been used in children with congenital scoliosis who are in danger of hypoplastic(too small) lungs.
                  The follow up study shows annual improvement in the children's lung capacity.

This is at the Children's Hospital in Pittsburg, PA
                  Ok... that's what I thought you were talking about. Like Linda said, it's not really for rib humps. I don't think that procedure can even out the posterior surface of the ribcage, it's more along the line of increasing the overall height of the ribcage on the concave side.

The word 'titanium rib' is really deceiving since the device doesn't look anything like a rib.
                  30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                  2005 - T50, L31
                  bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                  2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                  Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Hi - Yes, I was asking if anyone has ever heard of it. Seems like it would work if they anchored it to only one rib and distanced it off the rib cage a couple centimeters so the rib cage can flex when breathing, placing it under the dorsal muscle. I haven't found it, but was told recently to check with a reconstructive plastic surgeon at UC Irvine.

Comment

Somebody, in Germany, have tried (or is trying) to resect the ribs of the opposite side of the rib hump and to connect it to harrington rod (or - I suppose - another hardware put in to the purpose), to correct rib frontal symmetry, but surgical complications are more and more, and this type of correction is actually considered really dangerous.
                      Last edited by kid77; 08-13-2006, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X