X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain in butt and leggs

Hi everyone it si me again,
    God I have alot to bi... about this wk.
    I just wanted to know what some of you are doing to help with the legg pain and but pain. I do a number of things. But was wondering if there was any other ideas out there.
    I get very little sleep due to this and everything else. Picture this..... I rumb my thighs and them wrap them realy thight for a while till the pain nums a bit so I can fall asleep. I have the t-shirt , boxers and two wrap legg in that strech elastic. Woo hoo. My husband said stop it your too much. Too sexy for me.
    Anyway I was just asking, any tips are welcome.. Oh and I also do scwats while I have them wraped..... picture it...... nice heh! Tooo sexy......
    Okay got to go. Take car everyone. Back up again Cic.

I remember you and I talked about this before through e-mail, and like I said it was on and off for me before this last surgery, but since I bought those slightly padded office chairs, have lumbar support and don't sit on low couches and stuff, it's better. I often talk about this miracle chair and if I know how to post a pic at some point I'll stop sounding like a broken record and post it here. Not stretching my legs help too, I know it's good to stretch but for me it caused pain and am always told by PT that if something hurts, stop doing it. The pillow under and between my knees while sleeping helps a lot too. Sometimes I would get it so bad that I had to take meds(NSAIDs), I don't know if you take some meds too.

But since you need surgery, maybe that would help as well.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I had my fusion in 1975 (down to L5). I had severe pain develope in my left leg, with tingling, itching, and numbness. Nothing worked to relieve the pain. I ended up having to see a doctor. My fusion had continued to grow and was now down to S1 and pressing on my disk and nerves. I had surgery to remove most of the extra fusion and they also removed the bottom hook on my rod (there was enough bone growth around the rod to keep it in place). I was pain free for about a year until the scar tissue started mimicing a herniated disk. Now I use moist heat to relieve the pain. I have a whirlpool tub that I use or most rimes I use a heating pad right before bed.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Thanks everyone!
        I do do the hot tub thing too. It helps sometime. If anyone else as any tricks our different ways to help the pain to be able to sleep, let us know.
        Mine is the worse it as ever been this yr, really getting worse little by little. Don't get much sleep.
        Thanks for the feed back. Back up again Cic.

Comment

Topical analgesics

I've used the Myoflex and IcyHot rubs with some temporary relief. The Myoflex has no scent, but the IcyHot has the menthol smell. I also use Benadryl at night for sleep and have a long body pillow for between my legs when I turn on my side. Since my second surgery I have no need for a pillow under my knees anymore, but when my leg symptoms were worse before the surgery I always had my knees gatched if I was laying down.
          45 y/o female, retired RN
          1st scoli surgery '75, double curves, 56 & 52 degrees with Harrington Rod T4-L4.
          2nd reconstruction '05, removal of rod, pull L5 into fusion, secured with 12 screws and 2 plates.
          Presently 18 month post-op, doing relatively well.

Comment

I used Lidocaine patches on my low back just above my butt to help alleviate that pain. I also laid on my side with a pillow between my knees and eventually the pain in my leg would subside. I also found that if I minimized my activity during the day, the pain was not too bad at night (I don't know if this is an option for you).
            Brandi
            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
            L1-S1
            Dr. William Lauerman
            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I work in retail and I am on my feet most of the day. I feel like someone is ramming an ice pick into my right butt cheek. Nothing seems to help. I get minimal relief from vicotin. I also lose quite a bit of sleep over this. My pain pills don't make me sleepy.
              Sceduled for surgery 9/6 and 9/8
              Fusion from T-10 to Sacrum
              Getting nervous!
              surgery 9/06
              Rothman institute

Comment

Working...
              X