Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cage fusion

Hi everyone,
    I have an appointement comming very soon to which I will have to make alot of decisions regarding my back. I am trying to get as much info. as possible before I get there. On option that I was told of, was the cage fusion. As I am looking to read up on it I found two different proceedures. As anyone ever had this. Did it help. How was the recovery.
    Looking at the images supplied, it doesn't look as complicated as what I was told. So I am wondering if there is another proccedure that is called the cage as well.
    The surgering I was told i would eventualy need, is anterior and posterior fusion of my lower back, and fusion in a triangular shape.
    Any info would be great, Thanks everyone. cic.

Hi...

Cages are just one part of some scoliosis fusions. They're used in the front of the lumbar spine to maintain or restore the proper back to front curves in the lower back. If cages aren't used, the surgeon will use bone (without the cages) to get the same result. I'm thinking that whether or not a surgeon wants to use them on you, it shouldn't really be much of a concern.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda!

I was hoping you would replie, reading some of your post, you can tell that you know alot and it helps and it is very appreciated.
      But, I think my doctor refered to the cage, being is own words to better explain what it would look like. My mistake, it gets very confusing at times to keep track of what all the different terms are. Sometimes they talk so fast like you are a doctor yourself and can understand every term and proceedure they are speaking of.
      But I did see the info. on the one you are speeking of. Which I know is the proper term.
      What they want to do to me to stabalize my lower back is a front and back surgery which apparently involves plates front and back of my pelvis area,screwing that together, then fusing across the hip(butt area) then hip to spin then spin to hip. I had found a website that showed this proceedure and it was refered to as the cage, only because il looks like one. But I couldn't remember what the proper name was. I have the picture of it, but it isn't good enought to scan.
      Anyway, thank you, I know there is only so much help you can get when you don't have the right terms. I apprecialte the info. you gave me but also what you give to everyone else. It helps alot. I will be doing my home work and getting informed. Take care. Cic.
      Last edited by CicfromOttawa; 06-13-2006, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Hi...

I really can't tell from what you've stated, what the surgeon wants to do. But, I will tell you what I've said hundreds of times to other patients. Don't get hung up on what any surgeon wants to do. There's no way, unless you've performed a lot of scoliosis surgeries yourself, to truly evaluate what will work the best. We're all very different, and what works in one case may be entirely inappropriate for the next. Instead, find a doctor in whom you can vest your confidence. When you've found someone you like, check out his/her references with other patients in the area. You can also do a search here on the forums to see if anyone else has mentioned that surgeon's name. If not, post a message here:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=115

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

So true...
          This Doctor name is Johnson. and he is my 5 one. Ane they have all pretty much said the same storie in regards to my situation.
          I couldn't agree with you more. it is so important to be comfortable and have confidence in the Doctor. The best on I had was Dr. Bouchard. He unfortunatly mouved due to a job offer her in Calgary. He was very special. Wanted pic of my kid every time I went for my follow up. He is the one who told me I could have kids. And came to visite me at the hospital at the birth of each one. Amazing..... This one I have had since 2001 was refered to him when Bouchard left. He is very good also. The only thing is he is near retirment, which means starting over with someone else again. That I get tired of.
          Thank you again, Cic.

Comment

Working...
          X