No announcement yet.

Surgery Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just make sure that you are hearing what the doctor is saying and not what you are wanting to hear. Don't put your own interpetation on what your doctor says. After the surgery listen to your body and don't push it too far.
    I hope all goes well for you are you have a speedy recovery.
    Cheryl.

Comment

I disagree that most people feel normal by 4 months post-op. I still have back/rib pain and my movement is still very limited. My endurance is really low too from all the time without exercise.
      Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
      L2 to T4
      Braced for 4 years
      Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

I agree with that. Although I have not had spinal surgery I have had other surgeries and it does take longer than what the doctors say for you to be back to normal. Watching Amber's recovery I can't see how she would be back doing everything that she was doing before surgery in another 3 months time.
        Cheryl.

Comment

Jill, and anyone else - How long has it been since your surgery? If you think back about everything that was making you nervous before the surgery, do you think it was as bad as you thought it would be? Has it all gone by faster than you thought it would?

Comment

My surgery was two weeks ago yesterday (friday), and things have definitley gone by fast. It seems like I got home from the hospital this week, and surgery was last week. Amazingly, even though I do pretty much the same things everyday, it goes by quickly. Before going into surgery I wasn't nervous, but things didn't go as I thought they would. First of all, I remember everything that happened to me, the OR, recovery room, my first night there......I didn't think I would remember too much, but since I was on an epidurral versus morphine, I wasn't too out of it. Also, the first time Physical Therapy made me stand up, I almost fainted!!! I fainted once before in 4th grade and from what I remember it felt the exact same (minus the actual colapsing part). My eyes blacked out and I heard a ringing in my ear. The physical therapist showed fingers to me, to see if I was okay (I remember the numbers in this order!!!!! 5,4,2). It was awful, and the physical therapist was perky the whole time!!!! This happend on day 3. My room mate, who stayed the same for the whole time, kept burping everytime they ate!!!! That really grossed me out. The time spent in the hospital, however, went really really slowly. The first night (friday) seemed like forever. They kept waking me up every hour to roll me and take my vitals. Other than those few things, my hospital experience was pretty good overall. I'll check in soon!
            ~Jill
            Surgery: June 4th, 2004
            Main curve: 44 degrees
            Location of Curve: Upper Right Part of Back
            Surgery Type: Posterior
            T4-T12

Comment

My surgery was a little over four months ago. I think it was exactly how I thought it would be. One thing that I'm happy about is that the doctor moved up the time limit before I could ride horses. The month after surgery (at home and in the hospital) went by pretty slowly, but since then everything has flown by - it feels like my surgery happened a million years ago.
              Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
              L2 to T4
              Braced for 4 years
              Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Charlott.

how long is it till u can do every thing?
                40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Amber is having her 6 week check up this Wednesday. I'll let you know what her surgeon says about her recovery so far, her curve correction and what her limitations are. I'll probably post it on my main thread "worried mum from Australia".
                  Cheryl.

Comment

ok thanx
                    40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

• Anyone who has had surgery-
                      Right after surgery, the first few months...did you tend to hunch later on in the day when your back was getting tired and weaker? Lately my back has been doing that but my doctor said for the first 3 months that is normal. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else out there. Thanks!
                      ~Jill
                      Surgery: June 4th, 2004
                      Main curve: 44 degrees
                      Location of Curve: Upper Right Part of Back
                      Surgery Type: Posterior
                      T4-T12

Comment

• Boo -

1 - 2 weeks: Shower, walking
                        1 month: School, lifting 0 - 5 lb, light upper extremity exercise
                        3 months: Bicycling, driving, swimming, light jogging
                        6 months: Lifting 5 - 10 lb, non-contact sports
                        1 year: Routine gym class, skating, skiing, bowling, amusement park rides, roller coasters, lifting more than 50 lb gymnastics
                        2 years: Horseback riding (no jumps), contact sports
                        Never!: Parachuting, motorcycling, mosh pit

I got all of this information off a chart from my doctor, but this is a general time schedule and depends on the individual clinical situation.
                        Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                        L2 to T4
                        Braced for 4 years
                        Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

• Jill,

This is Theresa. I'm 48 and had anterior/posterior surgery on April 9 & 13. I have posts under Just Had Surgery on the adults section. In answer to your question, I know what you mean. I hunch more and more as the day goes on. I probably should lay down some during the day but I don't. The doctor said it is all muscle related. When I first get up in the morning, I'm nice and straight. I still use a walker or a cane. Hope this helps. Theresa
                          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                          Fused T2 to sacrum
                          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
                          X