No announcement yet.

Surgery Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks paiger and AngelP. You guys are really helping me to get ready for surgery. The only thing that sounds different for me is that i am getting my surgery (June 4) and i will recover over summer vacation. Do you think that if i have surgery on june 4, and my family reunion is july 28th or so, and the car trip is 3+ hours away...will i be up to it/feel ready? how much did you guys grow? Thanks for helping and reading my questions.
    Surgery: June 4th, 2004
    Main curve: 44 degrees
    Location of Curve: Upper Right Part of Back
    Surgery Type: Posterior
    T4-T12

Comment

Hi Jill K,
      You will be surprised at how much better you get each and every day. Even when you don't think you're feeling any better 3 weeks after your surgery, just take a look at how much you've been through and how far you've come. I'm sure as long as you stay strong and positive, you will help the recovering process go quicker.
      I would say, considering there's almost 2 months between your surgery and reunion, and if you're healing well, you should be able to handle a car ride occupying that amount of time. If you would happen to have some trouble, just have your mom or dad pull over for a little while, so you can get up and move around. From my experiences, after 6 days in the hospital, I had a 2 hr. car ride home from the hospital, and I didn't handle it very well. 6 weeks later though when I returned to have a small check up and x-ray done w/my surgeon, I handled the ride fine. I had my seat belt on, but adjusted myself so I could lay down in the back seat. Just my opinion though--I think you will probably be okay for that car ride. Good luck w/surgery and let me know if you need to talk! Bye!
      "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
      "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Comment

Thanks....hopefuly i will be fine for the reunion. I did hear that you recover really quickly, @home and @hospital. At the hospital the doctors said that everyday they will "remove" on iv or something from me. Does the iv thats in your neck/chest area hurt? Which iv or thing stays in the longest/shortest....ALso do you think i will be able to fly on an airplane in 2-3 months? Thanks again!
        T4-T12

Comment

Hi again,
          Honestly, I don't know which IV/tube stays in you the longest...my cathader was removed after about 4-5 days approximately, the chest tube I cannot remember...but the docs told me I was a tough patient b/c I didn't yell or complain when they removed the chest tube...they said I laughed because it tickled me so much! lol...Anyways, don't worry too much about any tubes in you, the nurses remove the one from your hand/wrist and your cathader as pain-free as possible, hopefully!
          I do think you'll be okay to fly after 2-3 months considering on planes they make you as comfortable as possible anyway...BUT be sure to ask your doctor about flying, and about obtaining some type of medical card or evidence to present when security systems you walk through go off, considering you'll have metal rods, bolts, and screws in your back! My surgeon never told me for sure if they still make people with "hardware" in their bodies carry a medical card, I was told by some of my relatives/friends that people used to have to carry a type of card like that. These are just my opinions though, always ask a doc as I'm sure you of course already know! Good luck!

Comment

I think you will definately be okay for the family renunion and for flying two to three months after surgery, though you might get stiff and need to walk around. I flew four hours to California for spring break two weeks ago, less than two months after surgery, and I had no difficulties at all.

Heres the order and time that all of my tubes were removed: Three days after surgery I had my cathedar and blood drain removed. My right hand IV (the one that was a morphine drip) and my left hand IV (not being used, just kept as a back up) didn't get removed until the day I left. I didn't have any IVs in my chest or neck.

Good luck - don't get too nervous, it will all be over soon.

P.S. - I think we will have the same metal rods in our backs b/c we have the same doctor and hospital, and the metal detector didn't go off b/c of my back when I was at the airport. In other words, don't worry about getting a medical card b/c your rods won't set the alarm off.
            Last edited by dapsbounce8; 04-11-2004, 11:04 PM.
            Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
            L2 to T4
            Braced for 4 years
            Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

That klinda stinks that it is over break.......but you should be able to go to the reunion. I grew about a inch but it is different for everyone.....
              luve allways,
              *Paige*
              __-------______--------______-------__
              12years old had postier fusion Jan.22,o4!!

Comment

Thanks everybody. My mom finally set up a day that I should give blood on, and I dont need to go to the hospital again until the day of, and then i will have my last and final tests....until after surgery. Did you feel sore/weak/tired after and/or during the blood giving. Is there a certain weight and height requirement that you need to have in order to give blood because i am worried that i am too small to give my own blood but hopefully i am not. Thanks for reading/answering!
                T4-T12

Comment

i didnt give my own blood cuz i cant stand needles...im a wimp!!!
                  But i think if lik your under 100lbs or sommin you have to give a lil bit at a time but im not sure what the wieght min. is sorry!!
                  how much do you weigh if you dont mind me asking!?!?!?also how old are ya??!?![again if you dont mind me asking]
                  luve allways,
                  *Paige*
                  __-------______--------______-------__
                  12years old had postier fusion Jan.22,o4!!

Comment

If you are under 110 lbs., they "devolumize" the bag your blood goes in, so that you are still giving a significant amount of your own blood, but just a little under what someone 110 or over would give. It's really almost the same amount. I am a very petite person myself, and though I was 16 when I gave my blood, I only weighed around 102. So, they had to reduce the volume from each bag. I was supposed to have a total of 4 bags (pints I believe) drawn over the course of the summer, but after the surgery date got changed, and things were messed up, my date had to be rescheduled, and I had to donate all over again because the shelf life of my units had expired. Therefore not only did I give 3 times the first time, but then I gave a whole new 4 the next "time." Seven times is a lot for one individual, so I was fairly proud of myself. Try not to be scared of the needle...people who are scared of it usually don't even give it a chance. Yes of course it looks intimidating, but the flambatomist (sp?) makes you as comfortable as possible, and once the needle is in you, it feels like a slight sting for only 2 seconds, and then once it's actually in you, it's fine. You squeeze a stress ball the entire team, and get to drink and eat some snacks. Just be brave...if you can go through a spinal fusion surgery, you can handle giving your blood. Just toughen up Good luck!

Comment

Hi Jill,
                      You must be at least 110 pounds to give blood, but the doctors usually let that number blur a little. I'm 100-105 lb. but Dr. Sawark encouraged me to give my own blood anyway.

Giving blood really wasn't a big deal for me. Drink lots of juice and eat snacks before and after to increase your blood sugar. I felt a bit dizzy and tired the day I gave, but not for long. Its really not that bad.

How are you doing? I have an appointment with Dr. Sawark on May 4th for my three month check up. I hope everything goes okay.

Good luck!
                      Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                      L2 to T4
                      Braced for 4 years
                      Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

I'm doing fine....how about you? is your back healing okay? Thats really weird about your back oppointment because i was scheduled to have one that day too! My mom had to change the date to may 14 because she is going out of town. Is your appointment in his glenview office (i think its glenview) or chicago? Mine was supposed to be in his glenview office. I have become somewhat less nervous then i was during my pre-op a month or two ago. talk to you later
                        T4-T12

Comment

I think its glenbrook hospital, but yes, that is the one I am going to. Its much closer to me than the chicago hospital.

My back is doing really well. I feel like most of the pain has stopped, unless I'm slouching. I've started doing more at home and around my riding stable, grooming horses and grazing them. I also started climbing the stairs at school instead of taking the elevator, and I can now bend to pick things up off the ground.

Good luck - keep in touch!
                          Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                          L2 to T4
                          Braced for 4 years
                          Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

my mom switched my appointment back to may 4 at glenbrok because my original days started off at may 4 then it was switched to may 18, and now it was switched back because on may 18 i have field trip. what time is your appointment? that will be so cool if its at the same time as mine! ttyl
                            T4-T12

Comment

My appointment is early - I think around 9:30.
                              Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                              L2 to T4
                              Braced for 4 years
                              Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

thats so cool, mine is at 9 ish too....bright and early.....no school for the morning!
                                T4-T12

Comment

Working...
                                X