No announcement yet.

Surgery Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha! Yeah its kind of embarrassing, but don't worry. They put it in at some point during surgery while you are knocked out. I couldn't even feel it, and it was weird because I never knew when I was peeing - it just went without my control I guess. It stung for a minute after they took it out, but that was all. Its really not so bad.
    Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
    L2 to T4
    Braced for 4 years
    Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

i dont really want any 1 to see my you no what were you embarrased?
      40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Not really. I think being in the hospital makes you lose any sense of dignity. Walking around in a thin gown and the sponge bath??? Just remember that these people see stuff like that all the time. They couldn't care less.
        Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
        L2 to T4
        Braced for 4 years
        Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

I'm not quit sure how it goes in, but it doesn't really matter because you are knocked out from the medicine they give you. You dont really need to worry about it going in because like I said, you're asleep. Good Luck!!! And you'll do fine!!!!
          ~Jill
          Surgery: June 4th, 2004
          Main curve: 44 degrees
          Location of Curve: Upper Right Part of Back
          Surgery Type: Posterior
          T4-T12

Comment

oh yeah, one more thing. when you are in the hospital it's true what everyone says, you don't care about the baths or anything. the baths make you feel more like yourself and you feel so much better. it's their job, they want to help people. they make you feel comfortable with the surgery and with your self. when they rolled me in the night my gown didn't always "cover" my backside so you get used to that too, that helps with the bath part because you get so used to it. It became sort of a joke, I was like to my parents "you might want to leave the room so I don't moon you ". Don't worry, you won't care at all when you are there. Good Luck Again!
            ~Jill
            T4-T12

Comment

i'm not so worried biut it now coz the doc sed that he could take it out whil i am still asleep too so i wont even no about it! how did you bed to get on the loo?
              40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

it was a little bit painful at first, I had to take it slowly so my back wouldn't hurt too much, but you get used to it. are you sure your doctor is taking the cathader out when you are still asleep, because that doesn't make sense to me. unless you use a bed pan, you wont be able to walk to the bathroom until the 3 day or so. if you can, that's good, but from my experiences I couldn't/didn't want to walk that far. talk to you soon.

~Jill
                T4-T12

Comment

i hav 1 of the leading scoliosis surgion in like the world and i go to a private hospital, Doc sed i cood be walking on when i wake up. I hav to try and recover quiker so i can go on roller coaster at x mas.

Ps i hav a loo in my room
                  40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

If you say so...that seems a little early to me. if your surgery is in august, correct me if I'm wrong, 5 months seems too soon to me. I had my surgery almost two weeks ago and I don't think even I could go on a roller coaster in the next year. good luck with your recovery post-op!
                    Last edited by Jill K; 06-16-2004, 09:38 AM.
                    T4-T12

Comment

Boo:
                      I understand that your Doctor may be very talented, but hes not a miracle worker! There is no way that a spinal fusion patient could/should be walking right after surgery. Are you having a different kind of surgery?

"I hav to try and recover quiker so i can go on roller coaster at x mas"

I agree with Jill that roller coasters aren't going to happen. You are supposed to wait a year before you ride a roller coaster - I can understand a bit before that but five months is way too early. Don't rush your recovery or you will hurt yourself.

Good luck.
                      Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                      L2 to T4
                      Braced for 4 years
                      Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

he did say i could go on a roller coaster. i am only having 1 fusion and i'll hav bout 6months to recover the fusion has gone hard by that point, most people feel great after 4 months he sed.

PS

going to holiday at the end of december, the rod shouldnt break so dont worry! i'll be fine

I'M A FIGHTER

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                        40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

and i fogot to say that i may hav some 1 wheel me to the loo coz they understand how i feel. how many vertibra did u hav fused?
                          40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

I had T4-T12, so I think 8 +/- . Do you know how many you are having fused? Mine where, as you can tell by the T, in my thorasic area (upper back). talk to everyone soon!
                            ~Jill
                            T4-T12

Comment

Boo.
                              Amber's sugery was 5 weeks ago and sitting in the car longer than half an hour hurts her. She is walking at a normal pace now but I know wouldn't even consider trying to go any faster at the moment. I know that the type of surgery and how far it goes makes a difference to your recovery but I think you may be expecting to have a reasonable easy time. I hope your surgery and recovery go as well as you are expecting but I wouldn't count on it. I know that sounds discouraging but if you injure yourself you will be putting yourself up for more surgery and a longer recovery, all for a bit of short term fun. At 6 months the fusion should be solid but you won't be completely recovered. You really do need to give yourself longer to recover. You are young and rollercoasters aren't anywhere.
                              Best wishes.
                              Cheryl.

Comment

i am having 5 or 6 bones fused dats all i understand wot u r all trying to say and i am gonnna take it easy for the whole 6 months and after that i am mainly free i probably wont b able to go on all the coasters but i can go on most
                                40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Working...
                                X