X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(called evoked sensory potential).

Here's a link explaining:

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.ed...care/eeg-ep.cfm

(from Karen Ocker's reply) (she is SO smart!! and has helped me a lot!!)

Comment

I was told by my surgeon and again by the anesthesiologist during pre-admission testing 2 weeks prior to surgery that I would be brought out of sedation just enough to wiggle my toes and fingers and then be put back under and that I would not remember any of it. In addition to my orthopedic surgeon and anesthesiologist, I also had a neurosurgeon who monitored me during surgery. It's my understanding that you are NOT supposed to remember it as you should still be at a level of unconsciousness that should not allow you to be aware of or remember anything.

Comment

That's why I'm baffled as to how many remember I don't know if that's something that just happens or it's the anestesiologist's fault.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Originally posted by Shari
          I remember waking up and feeling like I was choking. I remember pointing to my throat and my Dr. nodding his head and that's all I remember.

Shari
          Hi Shari...

I wonder if what you remember is them actually bringing you out of anesthesia after the surgery was over. During the wake up test, the patient's eyes are still taped shut, so you shouldn't have been able to see the doctor nodding his head.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,

Why are the eyes taped shut?

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris...

I think it's to keep them moist. I volunteer in a spay/neuter clinic, and we put an ointment in the animals' eyes for that purpose.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

eyes taped shut??

Linda's right. The eyelids can drift open while the person is anesthetized allowing the corneas to dry out. That is why the eyes are taped and or have ointment applied during surgery.

Heck, my eyes open during normal sleep!!--and get dry.
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I do remember choking and not being able to breath for this last surgery, but that was after surgery and they gave me oxygen right away.
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Linda,

Could it have been a dream??? I assumed I felt like I was choking because I had tubes down my throat, but since my eyes would have been taped shut, I'm not sure if what I remember was real.

Shari

Comment

Originally posted by Shari
                      Hi Linda,

Could it have been a dream??? I assumed I felt like I was choking because I had tubes down my throat, but since my eyes would have been taped shut, I'm not sure if what I remember was real.

Shari
                      Who knows! With the drugs that they give you, I think almost anything is possible.

--Linda

Comment

I had a problem with the anaesthetic when they took my appendix out and they had to bring me round briefly during the op (like a wake up test). I also remember seeing the surgeon (even though I've seen it on TV that they tape your eyes shut) and wondered after if it was a dream but was told when I asked afterwards that they did really wake me. I felt nothing except that I couldn't breathe (that was why they had to wake me!). I wonder if they remove the tape (and put it back on after) so that you are less frightened when you try to open your eyes? It might explain people's differing memories.
                        Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                        Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                        http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

For my surgeries they hooked these electrodes on my legs, head and back of neck. I was told this would show the Dr. my nerve function. I guess in case he gets near one or damages one. Those little needles were quite uncomfortable. Maybe because I was so anxious.
                          Mattie

Comment

Hi Pips...

During one of the spine surgeries which I viewed, they did a wakeup test, but did not untape the patient's eyes. I don't know if it varies by anesthesiologist.

Regards,
                            Linda

Comment

Working...
                            X