Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Found Out My Husband Has Cervical Levoscoliosis , On Thursday.
    I Need To Get Information On How To Help My Husband . He Has Applied For Disabilty Income For Social Security. What Are The Chances He'll Get It. He Has Lost The Strength In His Arm That Was Injured When He Had A Motorcycle Accident In His Late Teens. He Is Now 54 Years Old. What Do I Need To Help Him?

Donalda

I wish I could give you great answers but I don't know for sure if he can get s.s. disability. I am 35 and I had surgery in Dec. I was working at the time and luckily the company had short term disability and long term. I was able to get the long term but it was a big pain in the butt, not to mention my back which was trying to heal. The LTD company required I apply for S.S. disability first so I went through the steps. It was very time consuming as you would imagine. Here in NV, I went on-line and filled out the paperwork then called and made an appt at local office. I had to go in and meet w/ someone, took about 30 minutes. All along I was told that SS does not give disability if you will not be out of work more than a year, which I won't. BUT I STILL HAD TO DO ALL THE WORK!

If your husband's doctor say he will not be able to work again and you have it documented then he should apply for it. You will need to fill out a great deal of paperwork and it could take a while to get approved (hopefully).

I hope everything works out for you both. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Kim
    Kim
    35yr mother of 4 yr old girl and 8 yr old boy
    *Dec 05 A/P revision surgery-UCSF,Dr. Deviren- fused T3 - L3, rib removal
    *1995 Hardware removal (spine collapsed into 105 degree kyphotic curve over next 8 yrs)
    *1994 Revision scoliosis surgery to remove rods and put in clamps/other type hardware, ended up having problems so went back under 5 days later
    *1992 Removal of broken Harrington rod, 2 smaller rods put in
    *1987 Harrington rod for 46 degree scoliosis curve

Comment

Hi Donalda- I hope I can help, I'm in a similar boat

I also have a lot of neck problems, herniated disk, bulging disk, bone spurs,
      levoscoliosis.I am out of work on disability right now and cannot return to the type of work I have been doing for the past 15 years, I need a more sedentary job.I want to try that before I throw in the towel and go for complete disability. I've had 2 scoliosis surgeries on my back, so now my fusion extends from T4 to my sacrum- so my neck is taking a beating since it is the only flexible part of my spine. I have neck,arm,shoulder pain and a lot of headaches.
      A lot of how far you can get with disability (at least in New York where I live) depends on your doctor's documentation. It might seem like they are making you jump through hoops they might recommend pain management, physical therapy etc first before they let him go on disability. It's a pain but they are really inclined to help people still be able to function in some way.
      Has your husband ever had surgery on his neck/back?
      Have his tried chiropractic or acupuncture? I have been doing both. Chiropractic has been very helpful for me.
      I hope some of this info helps you, I'm right there with you and my heart goes out to you.
      1982- Scoliosis fusion with Harrington rod T3-L4
      1998- revision surgery for flatback syndrome: fusion extended to sacrum, 2 discs removed/replaced with
      titanium spacers, 2 new short rods attached to Harrington rod, 6 pedicle screws
      2005-found out one screw was broken-surgeon said fusion is solid and not to worry
      2004 to now: neck, shoulder and hip pain, degenerative disc disease in neck, herniated and bulging discs in neck, bone spurs, arthritis

Comment

When he gets turned down for ss disability, get a hungry lawyer!! The process can take up to three years. The lawyer will help you get back disability. They get 25% of back money or $5300 max. That is set by the government. I am waiting for my answer to my appeal (which will probably be denied and then we get a court date.) I was turned down for the second time this summer, so I got a lawyer.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
        X