What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

Last year I was fused from L1toL5. Within 4 to 5 months I lost a lot of weight and the screw heads were pocking threw my back muscle. The surgon decided to remove the hardware. Long story short it was to soon my spine had not fused and my back re broke. I now have rods from my tail bone to the base of my neck. Do you feel I should sue the doctor for this screw up?
    March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
    15 1/2 Hours
    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Hi BackTalk...

Recurrance of one's curves after removal of implants happens relatively often, and I'm guessing that your surgeon actually disclosed that information before the removal surgery. If s/he didn't disclose it, it could still be difficult to prove.

Have you seen another doctor? Did the doctor who performed the first two surgeries perform the third one?

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

BackTalk, what a nightmare! My guess is the doc had no choice the second time round. With the first op, were you warned there might be problems if you lost weight? Was the weight loss what caused the metalwork to get so painful? I'm a complete amateur, but seems to me it was the first op if either where they got things wrong.

Comment

Wow.. he took them out after only those months, I'm really amazed.

I had a hook taken out but my ortho did it a year and 4 months post op, that's what they usually do(wait at least a year post op when the fusion is more solid), and if it's REALLY necessary like in cases of infections that won't go away or extreme pain(like in my case). I also had more pain when I was skinnier, and the added weight and muscles help in cases of tolerating the hardware.

As far as doctors talking about curves coming back after taking out hardware(even years later), I think a lot are still not specific or even truthful about that. Most of the orthos I've seen still think and tell me that after the fuson is solid, there is mostly no way that it might recurve, and from what I have read on forums and also info I've gathered from patients IRL, that's not true in many cases.

I'm sorry I can't tell you if you could sue, but I don't think you can. You can still try to get more info about it, and hope you have luck with it.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I hope this picture works. It's a great before and after picture.
          http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jlazyh/tn_BA.jpg
          15 1/2 Hours
          Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

fusion recurving

My ORIGINAL fusion in 1956 recurved over 40+ years even though a doctor said it was "solid". I spent a whole year without walking for it to heal. That was the procedure at the time.

That is why hardware is used--to reinforce the spine to allow early walking and to support the fusion after it's healed permanently. From my experience I would not rush to take out hardware just because one does not like the idea of having hardware. On the other hand we've seen on the forum that there are valid reasons for removing some implants.
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I have no thoughts of ever getting the hardware removed this time. I am 60 years old now and the first fusion I had I was 48, L1-L5. Little did I know that 12 years later I would have the full set. I am only 9 weeks out from having this done. This one was front and back. 15 1/2 hours in surgery. The little L1-L5 type surgerys I was able to rehab in about seven weeks, however, this one is a tuff one. I seem to try my hardest to bend but it just won't give lol. I seem to be doing very well for a 60 year old duff. The only problem I have had is where they went threw the front they had to move things around and I have come up with a twisted bowl. I go in monday to get that fixed. I am out of the wheel chair and very rare do I use a cane.
              15 1/2 Hours
              Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

I hope you get better and better, and maybe you shouldn't try to bend or twist, that would not help with the fusion. I know that the longer the incision and bigger the operation is, it does take more time and patience to heal, and it is more painful.

Take care.
                35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

backtalk

What do you mean by twisted bowl? I feel my digesitive system is all out of whack
                  Jenn
                  37 y/o female
                  60 degree lumbar
                  45 degree thoracic
                  1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
                  T 5 to S 1
                  NYC

Comment

Originally posted by summer
                    What do you mean by twisted bowl? I feel my digesitive system is all out of whack
                    When they did the surgery they went threw the front as well as the back. To go threw the front there were several things that had to be moved aside so the spine surgeon could get to my lower spine. The bowl being one of them. Since the operation I only have a bowl movement about every 10 days as I am bound up. The surgeon seems to think this large lump I have in the front could be the bowl and it may have a twist in it which would stop me from doing the deed if you get my drift. Man if you think you have a problem go see a Gastrolagist.
                    15 1/2 Hours
                    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Just another thought. I have a picture of the hardware in my back just before they took it out. I think if you want to see it you should send me your email addi and I will send it to you. Don't know how others would take to seeing it on this site.
                      15 1/2 Hours
                      Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Wow backtalk, you've been through a lot! But you have a great attitude and zest, I can just see it.

As for the picture, I think you should post it with a warning. That way anyone who is curious can click the link and those who don't have the stomach for it, don't have to click it. It's all about choices we make.

Also, if tons of people want to see it, you could end up emailing it repeatedly which is a huge time burden and you probably have better things to do than sit around and email a picture 200 times!!

I know I'm curious to see it. I have a great stomach for this kind of stuff and am very curious to know how it all looks.
                        36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                        Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                        Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                        Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                        Curve post op = 20 degrees
                        No pain anymore!!
                        Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Statute of Limitations for Suing

Backtalk,

You are a real survivor! Is that picture link showing the before and after of you?

About the suing the dr. for taking out the hardware too soon issue, there is a statute of limitations regarding lawsuits. You would need to check with an attorney specializing in medical malpractice lawsuits. The surgery was 12 years ago, which may be past the time limit; but since the aftereffects are continuing to plague you, it may work differently.

Is there anyone on this forum who has attempted to go after a surgeon and what were your results? I have a girlfriend whose husband DIED from a botched up heart catheterization where a stent was put in and the legal advice to her was that it would be extremely difficult to show that the dr. was at fault; they told her that the trauma going through the case would not be worth it to the family and she decided against it.

All the best to you.

Deb

Comment

Originally posted by Cakedec
                            Backtalk,

You are a real survivor! Is that picture link showing the before and after of you?

About the suing the dr. for taking out the hardware too soon issue, there is a statute of limitations regarding lawsuits. You would need to check with an attorney specializing in medical malpractice lawsuits. The surgery was 12 years ago, which may be past the time limit; but since the aftereffects are continuing to plague you, it may work differently.

Is there anyone on this forum who has attempted to go after a surgeon and what were your results? I have a girlfriend whose husband DIED from a botched up heart catheterization where a stent was put in and the legal advice to her was that it would be extremely difficult to show that the dr. was at fault; they told her that the trauma going through the case would not be worth it to the family and she decided against it.

All the best to you.

Deb
                            The surgery was 18 months ago.
                            15 1/2 Hours
                            Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Should be within limitations if 18 months

Sorry, misunderstood. You probably are ok timewise then, but should look into it quickly. Some communities have an attorney referral service you could check with to get someone who handles that kind of case. They will usually give you your first visit free of charge and give you an idea of whether it is worth pursuing.

(Formerly legal secretary)

Deb

Comment

Working...
                              X