Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBP Technique

HI
    I am new here and I hope this is the right place to post this?
    My daughter who is 13 has scoliosis 35 or 36 on the top and 18 on the bottom.
    We have gone to Shriners and she has a Boston brace, but it has been very hard getting her to wear it.
    It is not just that she hates it it is also because she has skin problems hives etc.
    Unfortunately, we cannot afford spine core and live in an area that is to far from the Shriners that has used it.
    We are in far North West California. Have been going to Sacramento but changing to Portland.
    Has anyone used a technique called CBP? Biomechanics' or something that that?
    The lady that uses it here says she can help my daughter?

Sorry if I am not posting this in the right place. I hope I can get back to this spot!
    Computer whiz I am not.

Hi mom...

You might want to post your message here:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96

(You've posted it in the area for healthcare professionals.)

Your daughter may already be out of danger, so ANY treatment might be of marginal value at this point.

I'm not really familiar with CBP, but the one thing I can say about it is that there has never been any proof that chiropractic treatment does anything to reduce scoliosis curves. (There has actually been a study published that showed that chiropractic did not affect curves.) There has never been even a single case published in a peer reviewed journal, that showed that chiropractic had any effect on structural scoliosis curves.

If you and your daughter feel the need to do something, you might want to look into Yoga. Check out http://www.yogaforscoliosis.com.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

to have any chance of succes with the boston brace it needs to be worn more than 20 hours a day and correction from the brace must be as close to 50% as possible. If she cannot tolerate the brace and she is not going to wear it (whether you know that or not) it is not going to work

you either accept that or look at alternatives. There are quite a few on this forum whose children are using the spinecorbrace (and that includes my now 12 year old daughter) and there has been extensive posting on thesubject (look under bracing treatments)

There is less research available on the effectiveness of this brace (but what there is looks promising), but at least it is a brace that is manageable and reasonably comfortable, so tolarable to the wearer.

you can also look on the website on www.spinecorporation.com for further info

gerbo

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
        If you and your daughter feel the need to do something, you might want to look into Yoga. Check out http://www.yogaforscoliosis.com.

Linda, on what basis do you recommend this, do you know of evidence re effectiveness of yoga? Have you seen the video or tried the exercises?

(not trying to be critical, just wondering whether it is worth buying the video myself)

gerbo

Comment

[QUOTE=LindaRacine]Hi mom...

You might want to post your message here:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96

Thank you, I have moved it to the other place.

Comment

Hi Gerbo...

If you do a search, I think I may have posted about Yoga for Scoliosis before. I know Elise Browning Miller, and have seen her own results. She has a significant curve, which she has reduced. I personally believe that it's straightened because she spends so many hours a day doing the exercises, and like ANY treatment, if/when she stops the exercises, her curve will return to it's original degree.

I do have the DVD, but have not tried the exercises. I worked with Elise once, many years ago, and was in a lot of pain after trying just a handful of exercises.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
            X