Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful Fusion VS NOT Fusing

Hi
    I know I have a long time before I'll know whether or not my spine has fused properly. However, is there anything I should be doing NOW that would help my spine fuse? Is there anything that might stop it from fusing that I shouldn't do? Thanks!
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Take in lots of Calcium and vitamin D. If you drink milk or take calcium supplements but dont have Vitamin D your body does not absorb the calcium and your bones do not develop as quickly. Avoid NSAID's (Non Steriodal Anti Inflammatory Drugs) because they slow down the rate at which the bone is able to fuse.

Comment

Thank you!
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

Hi Jenn...

You should ask your doctor those great questions.

My personal advice would be to eat a healthy diet, walk as much as possible, and try not to bend, twist, or lift anything over 5-10 pounds for at least 3-6 mos.

Happy fusing!

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Calcium and Vit.D

I for one did ask about the calcium and vit.D, but all they could say was in theory, it's not proven to help, but can't hurt so why not, b/c it does make sense. He told me that as long as we don't have a poor diet without much calcium in it, it's ok. I did take calcium with vit.D and magnesium caplets the first time, took it real easy and still had a non union, so most docs don't pronounce themselves much on the subject. I was told that walking helps b/c of the bouncing on the spine.

I wish they knew more about it.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
          X