Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 days until surgery.

hey guys.

two more weeks until surgery and i just wanted to ask what it was like when you wake up from surgery? is there any tubes still in you? sorry but im like a needle and tube o phobic lol.

diagnosed - Feb 2003 with at 18 degree curve
    surgery decided - August 2005 with a 45 degree curve
    surgery date - June 19 2006
    Last edited by lindsay; 06-16-2006, 04:00 PM.

My daughter had her surgery 8 weeks ago and when she woke up she was pretty out of it with the morphine. Yes, she was hooked up to machines, had a catheter and 2 drainage tubes. She is doing great and feeling fine to go to school full time.
    Last edited by ScoliParent; 06-04-2006, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Hi
      You'll be so out of it..........really tired that you won't really realize it. Good luck!
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

There's really nothing to be afraid of, yes there will likely be alot of tubes and wires, but as long as you know to expect them and what they are for, it's no biggie. I can't tell you exactly what you'll have but I can give you an idea of what there may be. The best way to find out is to ask your doctor (the surgeon), or ask one of the nurses. This you can do the day you go into the hospital. At some point, you will meet with the anesthesiologist (the sand man) and this will probably be the morning you go into surgery. Most of what you'll have will be put in place while you're asleep. The one thing that will be in while you're awake is the IV and that's not a bad deal. Almost 40 years ago, when I was young, I had to have surgery and in those days they used the metal butterfly needles rather than the angio-caths that they have today. The angio-cath is a plastic catheter that fits over a needle. When the needle and catheter are inserted into the vein, the needle is pulled out and the catheter left in. Because it is relatively flexible it's hardly noticeable.

What other things that you may find:

*Either a mask, or nasal cannula to give you oxygen
        *One or more drainage tubes from the inscision.
        *Possibly a large catheter into the femoral artery (in the groin) to monitor your blood pressure
        *A probe that will clip onto you finger which will be to monitor the oxygen levels in your blood
        *Wires (probably 3) that will be attached to you chest to monitor your heart rhythm.
        *A catheter into your bladder which will probably come out when you are able to get up and use the bathroom

A very, very slight chance that you may wake up with a breathing tube in your throat. The likely reasons for that are that you may have not woken up as quickly as they would like to see, and the possibility of complications that may leave you needing help to breathe for a little while. This is not very likely, and the trick here is to try real hard not to panic If the tube IS in, they'll get it out as soon as possible.

Remember that the fear is not so much about the tubes, wires, etc., but of the unknown. Don't be afraid or feel foolish asking your doctor(s) or nurses questions about this.

There'll be alot of ups and downs throughout all of this but hang tough, you'll get through it.

Comment

hehe ur like my opposite!! i love neeldes and tubes....ive had one down my throat and up well the other end...i just had my preop today and i had a blood test with the little IV thing and it was just perfect it did not hurt one bit!! i love IV sorry im a bit whacked maybe im suffering from pre surgery anxiety and im really hyper about it....my surgery is this wednesday june 7th yay!

Comment

well i just had my pre-op day.

and i had to have blood taken!

out of a scale of 1-10 of being scared of needles, im like... a 20.
            i had my dad go back there with me. =] but yeah.

they showed me where i'll be in ICU and then in pediatric care for the next four nights after the initial day.

hmm...its getting closer 12 days.

and i have to say, im getting a bit anxious and nervous. okay actually, alot!

but i know it will have to be here eventually.

peace. <3 Lindsay

Comment

hi all you people seem to know a lot about surgery so i just wondered if i could some advice or something. I'm in the process of going on the waiting list for surgery, however i am no where near makig a descion abut actually having yet. The thing is i have an 's' curve i think the degrees are 60-70 and 60 but it doesn't really cause me any pain and my doctor says it's not progressing anymore, so i don't know if it's worth having surgery. I know that it's a huge operation and very scary risks are involved, but i also know the way i feel about scoliosis and that i don't want it to make me self conscious for the rest of my life! i know it's probably not a good reason to go through something like surgery for cosmetic reasons as my main reason, but i'm not sure how long i can cope with this. if anyone has any advice to offer that would great! thankyou -x-

Comment

after surgery

The best thing about after surgery is that you will have a steady supply of morphine being pumped into you so you really won't care about all of those tubes and wires and everything else that we've been telling you about. You will just be floating in and out of sleep. You'll notice the wires and tubes when you wake up occaisionally, but it will most likely be like,"oh wow. tubes. wires. cool" and go back to sleep

Comment

rincotato::
                  i would deff. recommend having the surgery. even if it's not causing you pain, you could be in for some major health risks as you grow older. when bones become more brittle, the curvature will be very hard on your spine. thats what my doctor told me and my family. and im sure we all know what your talking about when you say you are self-concious about it. atleast i do, i feel the same way. so i would recommend it to anyone who has this issue to the degree of needing the surgery.

so it's 10 more days until my surgery.

im starting to think about what im going to pack. ipod, pictures, and whatnot. is there anything that anyone would suggest that made you feel glad that you brought it?

my doctor reccomended having my hair french braided while im in the hospital. my friend can do it for me, but i was wondering, if anyone has done this, did it make things easier for you?

thanks guys, Lindsay
                  Last edited by lindsay; 06-10-2006, 12:13 PM. Reason: idk

Comment

Hi Lindsay,

I think having your hair braided is a good idea. You will be laying down most of the time for the first few days and you won't have to worry about tangles, brushing, etc. My son didn't end up using his ipod; some things I'm glad I brought for him were facial wipes and chapstick. He wasn't able to get up to wash his face so the wipes came in handy and your lips can get very dry in the hospital to chapstick is a necessity. Bring slippers or socks with a non-skid bottom. A change of clothes (loose fitting, pj's /pants/sweats with elastic waist and a button shirt or one that is easy to pull over your head will probably be most comfortable. A familiar, comfort item (like a favorite stuffed animal, etc.) might be a good idea. Oh yeah, another thing I've seen other girls/mothers mention, you may want to bring your own sanitary pads as many girls menstruate after surgery. I'm sure others will chime in and mention things I have forgotten. I wish you the best and will pray you have a successful surgery and recovery. Take care -

Renee

p.s. Hope you do alot of fun things before the big day!
                    Last edited by flowerpower; 06-09-2006, 10:34 AM.

Comment

facial wipes and chapstick. i never would have thought of that. thanks so much!

Comment

A warm, cozy bathrobe, toothbrush, and sneakers for PT. I actually cut my hair short and I'm soooo happy I did.
                        Jenn
                        37 y/o female
                        60 degree lumbar
                        45 degree thoracic
                        1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
                        T 5 to S 1
                        NYC

Comment

Rincotato, I would definietly consider the surgery. With curves that are significant there is the question of decreased lung function due to the compression of your lungs. While you are young now it's easy to compesate for that, but as you get older it may become more of an issue to your ability to function. Also, it's much easier to dela with the surgery when you are young then when you get older and the really need the surgery (maybe middle age).

Comment

Shelby and I have just one more week. I'm starting to cram in fun stuff!! && I hope that they had a fun time on their cruise! i wish i could go on one!

Comment

Yes Lindsay, we too are cramming in more fun stuff. I think we will go bowling, mini golfing and to an amusement park to ride some roller coasters this week. It feels like we are going on full speed but I know we will have time to lay around and rest after the surgery. We are certainly thinking of you and praying for you. I will try to get Shelby to sit down and write to you this week.

Kathy

Comment

Working...
                              X