CT Mylecogram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT Mylecogram

I have to get a CT Mylecogram before my surgery, I've heard so many different stories on how painful it was and how some people had no pain. Is it generally a painful test or are there some people with medical conditions that makes the test painful?

Thanks
    Sue

Hi Sue...

I had a CT-myleogram about a year ago. While it wasn't terribly comfortable laying on the table and getting into some strange positions, I didn't find it painfaul. The radiologist injected a little lidocaine, which was about as much pain as a regular shot would be. It lasted less than a second. By the time he was ready to inject the dye, the area was completely numb and there was no pain. I could feel him moving the needle around, but it wasn't at all painful.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Never had one of those.. had a Discogram, though... It hurt!

Comment

Hi suzyjay,
        are you going for surgery this summer?? Just thought our timing is about the same because I go in next week for my tests in NYC too. I did'nt see a CT myleogram listed. My worst one is the MRI which I knew I needed again. the others are EKG, Echocardiogram and bone density..I hope thats all...looks like a full day. Guess I won't have time for much else in the city! Lynne

Comment

CT Mylecogram?

Wow JoAnne, I had a discogram too and it didn't hurt.... till that evening. Once again another example we are all so different. What is a CT Mylecogram? Dr. mentioned I won't ever be able to have an MRI again due to hardware, is this in place of one? Or looking for different things in a different way? Suzy

Comment

Problems with CT-Milogram

Suzy,

I have had two CT-Milogram scans. Im not going to lie, but it was probably the worst pain that i have ever had. Now I do know that this was due to my condition. The first one that I had in 2000 I experienced extreme pain in my lower back and down my legs. I would refer to it as "charliehorses" in my legs that did not go away for several hours. The dr thought i could have been allergic to the dye that they injected into me. I thought that was the problem.
            When I had my second CT-milogram scan this past year I warned my dr and the doctor that was performing the scan of what had happened before. They said that the chances of that happening again are slim. But it surely happened again and it was horrible!! Im not sure if I am realy allergic to the dye or if it was just a reaction from my condition. My dr did say that if you are having problems at the levels that they are doing the scan then you will have the pain and that is a sign of the problem. It did not last too long but it was very painful.
            I hope you dont go through what I experienced. I have a very high tolerance for pain (4 back surgeries) but this was in a totally different league!
            I hope I didnt scare you, but i do know this is a very important test if they have any concerns about which levels to fuse.

When are you scheduled for surgery? I hope everything goes well with you.

Sarah
            Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
            2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
            March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
            August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
            August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

Hi Sarah, I am 3 mos post-op but wondered what this procedure was incase I need surgery down the road. I don't expect to but wondered what it was used for....DIAGNOSIS BEFORE SURGERY? For what? How is it different from a CT scan or MRI? Linda Racine, why did you have one a year ago? I know your surgery was a few years ago..... just never heard of it and never saw it mentioned here before. Suzy

Comment

Hi Suzy...

I have disc problems below my original fusion (which was 13+ years ago). The CT-myleogram is used to look at the nerve roots, and is a relatively common diagnostic test for people who are candidates for additional surgery after a fusion.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda, Thanks for the info. Had 3 month check up and asked Dr. about it. He hates to send people in for it as he knows it is painful. I'm sorry to hear you had to have two Sarah....... It basically also gives them a view of nerves that are sometimes blocked and thus causing pain, he said. I love learning something new. My Dr. has been quite pleased at all the info I have gathered here, I've been able to ask him intelligent and pertinent questions. He has sometimes raised his eyebrows when he realises I totally under his Dr. speak! Gotta love that! Suzy

Comment

Suzy,

Well I am glad to hear that you dont have to go through this test now. It is very good that you self educate. I already knew alot about my condition but have learned so much more by being on this site. Also it is a great comfort knowing there are others that go through what I go through everyday. The normal person just doesnt understand.
                    I hope you dont have to go through this test. I guess if it was necessary for me in the future then I wouldnt have a choice, but I would request to be put to sleep.
                    How are you doing post-op? Hopefully good. I wish the best for you in the future and I hope for a good recovery. I will be going into surgery in August for my 5th surgery..Yuk!! Not looking forward to that!

Sarah
                    Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
                    2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
                    March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
                    August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
                    August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

sarah
                      I'll be in Aug 1st...when in Aug do you go?? Lynne ant/post surg...

Comment

Lelc2002@yahoo

Originally posted by lelc2002@yahoo
                        Hi suzyjay,
                        are you going for surgery this summer?? Just thought our timing is about the same because I go in next week for my tests in NYC too. I did'nt see a CT myleogram listed. My worst one is the MRI which I knew I needed again. the others are EKG, Echocardiogram and bone density..I hope thats all...looks like a full day. Guess I won't have time for much else in the city! Lynne
                        Hi Lelc2002@yahoo
                        My doctor didn't give me a date, I saw him two weeks ago. He wants me to get CT myleogram and bone density test after the tests I have to go into his office and meet with him and his associate. I would like to have the surgery done in the winter so when it's time to go back to work I won't have to travel in bad weather. Good luck with your surgery.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                        X