"Hump" question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hump" question

I've been reading through a lot of the old (and new) posts gathering info.

When you all refer to the rib hump or a hump on your back do you mean a very obvious hump when you are standing up or just when you bend over?

I am 37 and have about a 62 degree right thoracic curve and my right shoulder blade sticks out a little when I'm standing. As I look in the mirror with a shirt on I only see a hump when I bend over - and then it's huge. I never knew it was there until I read about it here and got a mirror and checked. Without a shirt on I can see a small hump just under my shoulder blade - kind of weird looking but I wouldn't say it's real big compared to the way some people on the board describe the hump. Maybe I'm just lucky so far.

I'm also wondering if the "hump" becomes more prominent as the curve progresses and if it has to do with what part of the spine you have the curve? Anyone with any insight? Thanks.
    43 y.o. married w/a 12 and 14 y.o
    62 degree curve T7 - L2 that is now being measured at 54 degrees?????
    Never had surgery/Thinking about it and gathering all the info I can!

Hi Lost...

Yes, for the most part, rib humps are usually related to thoracic curves, and they are actually a function of the rotation of the spine and rib cage. Severe rib humps are obvious in people with a lot of rotation, even when they're not bending over. For example, check out the child in this article:

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=97183

Here's a picture of a typical rib hump:

http://www.spineuniverse.com/display.../srs_3a-BB.jpg

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi lost,

My curves are 34 thoracic/30 Lumbar. It is off becaus emy hump is noticeable even when I am sitting or standing, though of course it is more prominent when I bend over. Also, because my rib cage has shifted, it like, sticks out on one side of my body, so my profile on my right side looks yucky, theres a big bump there It looks like I have kyphosis but on one side only! I do NOt however, have kyphosis...just a weird looking rib hump. This is what my right side profile looks like (although I think this guy's is a little worse): http://portfolio.med.up.pt/nino/Pato...omegalia12.jpg. That is what bothers me more than anything...the fact that even standing up I look deformed
      28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
      1998 22T/20L
      2002 30T/28L
      2006 34T/28L
      2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

My 'hump' is pretty bad & sticks out just standing....I have kyphosis, 85%....Ly

Comment

Originally posted by Mobee211
          Hi lost,

My curves are 34 thoracic/30 Lumbar. It is off becaus emy hump is noticeable even when I am sitting or standing, though of course it is more prominent when I bend over. Also, because my rib cage has shifted, it like, sticks out on one side of my body, so my profile on my right side looks yucky, theres a big bump there It looks like I have kyphosis but on one side only! I do NOt however, have kyphosis...just a weird looking rib hump. This is what my right side profile looks like (although I think this guy's is a little worse): http://portfolio.med.up.pt/nino/Pato...omegalia12.jpg. That is what bothers me more than anything...the fact that even standing up I look deformed
          i know exactly how you feel, i have an 's' curve i think the degrees are 60-70 and 60 and my spine is twisted as well, so my ribs have rotated. my rib hump is noticable when i sit down, stnad and bend over and myribs stick out a little in the front because of the rotation and so i sometimes try to hide it by folding my arms. I'm very self conscious about it and can't wear summery clothes or swimsuits or anything, i don't know what i'm going to do this summer! some people say they can't notice that i have scoliosis, but I notice and it bothers me a lot. Are you planning on having surgery? what are your degrees? -x-

Comment

Does anyone know if you have surgery - just the standard rods/screws does the rib hump go away? During a recent visit to an ortho surgeon he told me if I choose surgery I would only be done posterior...I see some people mention an anterior approach also. I didn't ask him about the hump. Also does anyone know from experience if your rotation can get really worse? Mine isn't too bad right now...my doctors notes said a 17 degree rotation about 10 years ago which he worded as "minimal". I've sent for a copy of my med. records to see if he noted anything from this visit. He shoved me in and out the door so fast I did think to ask these things.

Comment

Hi Lost...

It really depends on the technique. I've seen some doctors whose patients get excellent derotation of the ribcage, and others that get only mediocre or no derotation. I'm not sure why, but I often hear from people that they had good reduction of their rib hump, but that it reappeared within a year or two of surgery. Your best bet is to discuss the issue with your surgeon. And, talk to some of his/her patients to see how much reduction they got, and whether the reduction has held.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Linda,

How do you talk w/a surgeons patients? Should I just ask him directly for some references - don't they get offended that you want to "check up on them" so to speak?

Comment

Lostfan,
                  I would surely think the office would give you some who had the surgeries..
                  They offered them to me recently but I did'nt need them since I luckily met several thru this forum who had my Doctor. That's why this forum is great!
                  About the rib hump(& mine is real bad,when standing), I was told they will use a rib to correct it(ouch!) Lynne

Comment

My surgeon would not give me names and numbers of patients but offered to give patients mine. It's like a privacy issue and he didn't want to give out any ones info just because I asked.
                    I appreciated that.
                    For me, I would hate to get a phone call from a complete stranger whom my doctor had given my number to to talk about my surgery.
                    It would be a serious invasion of privacy for me.
                    But he said he would ask former patients if they would call me, if they would be willing to discuss their surgeries.
                    I had two women call me, both close to my age and degrees of scoli. It was nice to be able to talk to them about it and one of them has even called me since to ask how I'm doing.

I think that's the way it should be. It should be former patients calling new patients, not numbers just given out.
                    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                    Curve post op = 20 degrees
                    No pain anymore!!
                    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Doesn't like to do it over age 25

I saw one of my surgeon team today and asked him about the thorascopy, sp? rib hump thing. He didn't think mine was extreme enough to do anything for with the surgery. Neither do I, actually, it's only noticeable if I hump my whole back over.

Because of the increase in pain and risk, he said he prefers to do rib resection only for younger patients (25 or under).

Deb

Comment

Cakedec (Deb),
                        Wow! I'm way over 25! I'll of course, add that to my pre-op questions... I was told they will probably take a rib out but my hump is very pronounced while standing. I don't have to bend for you to see it..... I suppose no pain, no gain..right?Ly

Comment

Originally posted by lostfan
                          Linda,

How do you talk w/a surgeons patients? Should I just ask him directly for some references - don't they get offended that you want to "check up on them" so to speak?
                          Hi Lost...

Absolutely ask for references! If you find that your surgeon gets offended, I would run the other way. For several years after my surgery, my surgeon's office would call regularly and ask if it was OK to give my contact information and a summary of my surgery to a patient.

One way or the other, I would ABSOLUTELY find a way to talk to other patients. They're the ones who can give you the best idea of what you might expect. Also, you can search here on the forums for your surgeon's name, and you can post a message here:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=115

Asking for opinions.

Regards,
                          Linda

Comment

Working...
                          X