anyone know Dr. Shelokov in Dallas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone know Dr. Shelokov in Dallas?

I'm new here and glad I found this site! I was treated as a teen for my scoliosis and now find that my curve is getting worse. Sorry I don't know my curve degrees but it's the lower curve that is the problem and it's a little more than 60 degrees curvature. Anyway, I'm 50 now and have seen Dr. Alexis Shelokov in Dallas. It seems that mine is not a question of "if" I should have surgery, but "when" I should have surgery.

If anyone knows or has heard of Dr. Shelokov, please let know how your experience went. Did you seek a second opinion? Anything.

I really liked him, but think it's prudent to get as much info as I can.

Thanks tons!

Snowdal

Hi Snowdal...

You may want to do a search (see Search link above).

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks! I'm just learning how to work this site. I found a thread with info about Dr. Shelokov.

Snowdal

Comment

Dr. Shelokov did my revision surgery last September. I can only say good things about him. He is a wonderful surgeon and I am very pleased with my results. He also understands the great mental toll extensive surgery takes on a person (as well as the physical) and gave me excellent support postop. He will keep you well-informed of everything from pre to postop. He knows what he is doing. I am an RN and feel he is the best I know of. My surgery was quite extensive but I always felt confident in Dr. Shelokov. His staff is excellent as well, and if you recover at Baylor Plano you will be very pleased with this first-rate facility. Good luck and feel free to private message me anytime.

Comment

By the way, I am 50. Also, I have gotten the impression all along that Linda Racine doesn't care for Dr. Shelokov for some reason, but if you will check this site under search and his name you will find many who have been his patients and are very pleased.

Comment

Dr. Shelokov

My daughter had 2 surgeries done by Dr. Shelokov. Two too many, it was a very bad experience. He wanted to do a 3rd surgery, I took her to Scottish Rite in Dallas, and was told that the 1st surgery should have never been done. They were able to correct the problems, they also were amazed by what they found in her back, the heads on the screws were very large, they said no one would use screws like that, the screws were loose and moved around thus causing pain, a cathater was left in her and we were not told. This should have never happened. My advice is be very careful about who you chose as a surgeon.
            Last edited by momw; 08-09-2006, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I had my surgery at Scottish Rite and have had no problems. All the doctors I have seen since have commented on what a great job they did there. I suggest, if you are young enough and might qualify, you definitely check them out.
              Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
              Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Did your daughter have an unusual type of scoliosis? I am very surprised concerning her outcome with Dr. Shelokov. I was also wondering how old she is. I don't know much about his pediatric surgeries.

Comment

I am an RN also, and have been to Dr. Shelekov. I had my original surgery in 1993, and am fused from T9-S1. I now have flatback syndrome, and am looking at a revision. I have been very impressed with his office staff and the information that I have gotten. They also treat me as a fellow professional while realizing this surgery makes me a patient. This can sometimes be a fine line to walk. Haven't decided when the revision will occur yet, but will keep everyone "posted"!
                  A/P Repair 12/93
                  Scottish Rite Instrumentation
                  Fusion T9-S1

Comment

flat back syndrome

What is flat back syndrome?

My surgery is scheduled for next week and I feel very confident in Dr. Shelokov, but, as always, more information can't hurt anything.

My husband wants me to look into chiropractic treatments and we are going for a consultation tomorrow. I think my curve is too severe to be helped by anything other than surgery. I still don't know my curvature in degrees, but it's in my lower back, it's greater than 60 degrees, and my spine has some rotation too.

Comment

He is the best!

I am shocked to hear of anyone who didn't have a good response w/ Dr. Shelokov. I'm sure things go wrong sometimes with anyone - also, if you are an ADULT w/ scoliosis or in my case, kyphosis (even harder to find a surgeon), he is THE MAN. Children have many more options but even great surgeons won't touch adults - especially those w/ previous surgeries or kyphosis.
                      I have seen dozens of ortho and neuro doctors. He is the best hands down.
                      YOU WILL BE IN EXCELLENT HANDS W/ DR. SHELOKOV! TELL US HOW IT GOES!
                      Diane
                      39 y.o. female
                      Aug. 9 '05 - T-1 through S-1; Dr. Shelokov -Plano
                      Oct. 14 '97 - L4-L5/L5-S1 fusion BAK fusion cages (san antonio)
                      Feb. 14 '89 - laminectomy l4-l5/l5-s1 (omaha)
                      braced as an adolescent

Comment

bumping this ol thread - thinking of calling up to make an appt with Dr. Shelokov due to severe shermans {?} kyphosis.

Any idea of what he charges? I have no insurance thanks to my back and not being able to work.

Comment

well my best friend died during surgery w/ dr shelokov...He certainly isnt flawless.I suggest that you not choose a dr because he is heavily commercialized.Just research ALOT and dont fall into "he is so well known" This person you are trusting with your life..

~Lisa

[QUOTE=dianebetts]I am shocked to hear of anyone who didn't have a good response w/ Dr. Shelokov

Comment

If you need a second opinion, I highly recommend Barton Sachs in Plano. He's phenomenal. Seriously, words cannot say it. He was my 10th or so opinion, and I recommend not letting anyone touch your back unless you feel absolutely sure about it. It's a major, life-changing decision.

Comment

No More Dr Shelekov

Dr S was great to me for past 4 years or so and surgery was scheduled this year for revision from 1990. Then my insurance changed and suddenly all the pain was in my head and they cancelled the surgery. I am very disappointed and disillusioned with his practice right now. They are very nice as long as you have the right insurance and the money. If not.... I used to be a staunch advocate of him, now not so sure. I am a health care professional and to have this occur after sucha long term relationship is horrible. Even if my ins does go back to one he accepts I will never step foot in that office again.

Comment

Working...
                              X