Active or Inactive ? just curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active or Inactive ? just curious

My Mom always contributed my "lack of interest in anything requiring exerting physical activity" to my scoliosis.

I was just wondering how it shakes out here. If you found out when you were young, were you active or inactive.

(my boss' wife was a cheerleader, hers is a single curve) (one of my cousins was a farmers daughter, up and at 'em all day and into the evening, very active....her's is slight, not requiring bracing)

thanks for any input.

If you go on the Spinekids site, you will see that most of the kids with scoli are athletes, dancers, gymnasts, runners, etc. My daughter played soccer and danced since she was 3 and she has 2 40 degree curves.

Melissa
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

thanks for the input

I've lived with this since age 12. After I got out of the second brace I forgot about it. Until I just before starting a family and now since I'm leaning.

I never thought there would be such a support group out here for scoliosis.

thanks, it would have helped alot when I was 12.

Comment

active..

imanbabesmom,
        I was very active as a teen.. I was on the tennis team(even with my milwaukee brace on in the beginning..) I jogged most evenings at the track. I was a swim teacher & lifeguard so was always swimming...
        no problems until about 42. Had my second child at 39 (8 lbs) & from then on my scoliosis got much worse...Luckily with the curves I have, I still don't have horrible pain.......Ly
        60/60 curv...

Comment

I used to wear a Boston brace 23 hours a day(most days), unless I wanted to swim or dance, since those are the only sports I really liked, and also my ortho didn't want me to do physical ed besides those two activities(wich suited me fine since I didn't like other sports), but I see all orthos are different. I guess it also depends if one has more pain doing a certain activity.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I was diagnosed when I was 14 and played volleyball, waterpolo, and did track and field (shotput and discus). I also love swimming (but that goes with the waterpolo). I did that right up until my surgery.

Comment

Active person, but not sportsy

Unlike previous posters, I was NOT at all athletic as a child --with a major double curve and one leg longer than the other, people would laugh at my gait when running as it looked strange. Phys-ed class was the only class I got low grades in. I tried doing a backwards somersault in class and my back cracked so loud that everyone in the class heard it and stopped and looked! During a cross-country unit, the running inflamed the muscles so bad in my legs that I could barely walk and had to sit out for a month. At age 30, I found out that I also had fibromyalgia so that may have contributed to the difficulty.

Deb

Comment

Working...
              X