Leveling the shoulders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leveling the shoulders

What advice can you give me about things I can do to draw attention away from the fact that my shoulders are not level, or even level them somewhat? My right shoulder is noticeably lower than my left (about 1-2 inches)

Difficulty-- I'm a college professor, so I must wear at least "business casual" most of the time; I don't usually wear a tie, but I do occasionally. On occasion, I do wear a suit.
    28 degrees cervicothoracic, 34 degrees thoracolumbar, not diagnosed until age 34. Get yourself and your children screened early!

How about a shoulder pad with the velcro on the lower side ? You could also consider growing your hair long and looking like one of those hippy professors What course do you teach ?

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

do you think anybody notices? And if they do, do you think it bothers anybody?

Comment

appearances add to first and overall impressions

Originally posted by gerbo
        do you think anybody notices? And if they do, do you think it bothers anybody?
        I'm not sure of that. My wife tells me that she's always noticed that, but didn't care enough to say anything. In retrospect, having known this ten years ago might have been helpful, as I've been having back pain for 7 years now and was just diagnosed about 3 months ago.

As you're aware, first impressions are everything; in this business, it is important to look your best and make a good impression. Sure, we have a lot of the "hippy" types that always have a slovenly appearance, but it's been my general observation that those types tend to hit a "career ceiling" early on and are often passed over for promotion, especially to the administrative ranks.

Those of you in the business world know what I'm talking about, I'm sure.
        28 degrees cervicothoracic, 34 degrees thoracolumbar, not diagnosed until age 34. Get yourself and your children screened early!

Comment

Originally posted by The Professor
          ... Sure, we have a lot of the "hippy" types that always have a slovenly appearance, but it's been my general observation that those types tend to hit a "career ceiling" early on and are often passed over for promotion, especially to the administrative ranks. Those of you in the business world know what I'm talking about, I'm sure.

In your field, I always thought the number of articles published was important. This is what I had in mind about long hair....not the kind hanging down the shoulders I should caution that I'm not a certified beauty consultant and these are just personal opinions....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...PA:en%26sa%3DN
          Last edited by Celia; 05-11-2006, 12:26 PM.

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Celia Vogel
            In your field, I always thought the number of articles published was important. This is what I had in mind about long hair....not the kind hanging down the shoulders
            That's not too bad. Maybe a bit feminine looking, though. My hair is a little on the long side, as I have a lot of it and it grows quickly, but I don't know if I'd want it quite that bushy.

And yeah, the number of articles published is important. That's not a problem now... just put one out in February, and working on another one to submit this fall. One a year to every 18 months is about average, and I'm on target with that.

Comment

Originally posted by The Professor
              That's not too bad. Maybe a bit feminine looking, though.
              Yeah, you're right it is a little feminine looking. The important thing when men wear their hair like that.... is to have a bit of scruff ( 5 o-clock shadow ) on the face.

Canadian eh

Comment

What about a dark poncho?
                Adolescent Idiopathic Thoracic Lumbar Scoliosis

Back Pain started in October 2001
                Diagnosed - June 2003

Thoracic and Lumbar curves- 37 degrees
                Started Hospital examination - June 2003
                Discharged from hospital - November 2006

Comment

what abbout a cloak sorta thing?
                  Virtual Pets |
                  Games |
                  Create a Virtual Pet

Comment

Professor:
                    I know exactly how you feel... My shoulders and hips were greatly uneven and I know that everyone would notice it but no one would ever mention it until after my surgery last year every one would say how different it was to see me not "leaning" over. I was very self contious about my looks. After nearly 10 years of living this way I learned how to hold one shoulder higher when I was in front of a crowd of people. I also would stand with one leg bent to try disguise my hips being uneven. I had several people that the only time I say them I was doing this and they say they could not tell it was so bad. I even had an ortho Dr tell me that he would have never guessed my curve was so bad with the way I carried my self. Now that I've been 1 year post-op I still catch myself thinking I've got to hold my shoulder up or standing with my right leg bent just out of habit. So think about those tricks while standing in front of the class! Has anyone every mentioned the surgery for you. It is an awesome experience now that I'm "striaght"! I would do it all over again if I had too, Hope this helps...
                    Lisa

Comment

I haven't considered surgery at this point because my curves are not advanced enough for most surgeons to even recommend it. They are painful, but the degree of pain relief from the surgery varies greatly. Also, I can't spare the 6-9 months recovery time out of work.

I know what you mean about trying to hold the other shoulder higher. I don't make much of an effort to hide it when lecturing in classes, but if I'm giving a research seminar or other kind of formal talk, I sometimes find myself leaning against the podium (if there's one there) to draw attention away from my posture.

I also hold my head higher than normal (with the chin up a little bit); I'm guessing that it's part of the overall postural compensatory mechanism my body has adopted to deal with the spinal curvature. I've noticed this in pictures, so I have to make a conscious effort when having photos taken or when in formal situations to adjust my head position. I've had a few people tell me that my posture is "intimidating"-- but this is not something that I can easily control. Holding my head in the usual posture feels highly unnatural and weird.

I've gone more towards suits and solid-colored shirts. I don't know if this helps or not.

Comment

Just remember Prof that it's not the looks that makes the man (You're talking to a girl who had a Milwaukee Brace, glasses, and braces all at the same time! And I survived I know I'm not a beauty queen with my body the way it is but my friends and family think I am

I come from a family of educators and spent a good deal of my life hanging around profs (my dad being one who did work his way up the ladder) and having lived that life I know it's not the shoulders but the brain and the social skills that will help you make the move. Be confident!

You may find the dress to cover your shoulders but I don't think anyone will truly dwell on the shoulders if you wow them with the brains and social skills.

Be yourself -
                        Always Smilin'

Always Smilin'
                        Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                        pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                        pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                        right thoracic 57
                        lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                        revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
                        unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Originally posted by always smilin'
                          Just remember Prof that it's not the looks that makes the man (You're talking to a girl who had a Milwaukee Brace, glasses, and braces all at the same time!
                          Be yourself -
                          Always Smilin'
                          lol I understand that! Me too! Expander, braces, glasses and a Milwaukee! fun!
                          Scoliosis for 8 years, Milwaukee, Providence & Boston braces. 35T 42L Dx'd with Chiari Malformation 8/06, decompression surgery + duraplasty 11/24/06.

Comment

Shoulders uneven.

I had that same problem before my revision. Now my shoulders are even.

What I did was use an appropriately sized shoulder pad on the lower side; I had quite a collection of shoulder pads depending on what I was wearing. They can be sewn or pinned in place.

After awhile even that wasn't enough because my whole body was leaning not just the shoulders.

On another forum my handle was "leaningtower".
                            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Drummergirl,
                              You just made me smile.You already know what is important. Your outside is just that, outside. I know it is hard, but, you are who you are. The outside can be beautiful, and the inside can be very unpleasant. The opposite can be true. This world focuses on the outiside, but your heart is the important thing! The people with heart make a difference. They lift the lowly, encourage the discouraged, help the hurting, and love the unlovely. You would be surprised at the beautiful people that are hurting and wish they had one real person to love and help them. Love the ones that need loving. There are a lot of beautiful and not so beautiful that qualify.
                              Hugs,
                              Cheryl
                              God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Working...
                              X