MRIs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRIs

I had a Harrington Rod inserted for scoliosis in 1969. While I'm not sure of the exact placement, it's lower thoracic and lumbar region. I've had a few problems over the years, but nothing major. Have developed lots of leg pain, numbness in feet, some tingling in hands over the last few months. The leg pain bothered the most, to the point I felt nauseous. Also have very low back pain. My passion is gardening, which aggravates the problem. Primary care physician wants to do MRI. I wanted some feedback that MRIs are okay to do with this rod in and won't cause other problems.

As far as I know, harrington rod is contraindicated for MRIs. I'd assume the reason is that they were made before MRIs were used clinically so the metal actually might respond to the magnet (move..dislodge ect)

I've had MRIs and one of the question they ask if the area being scanned is the spine is if you have harrington rods or not.
    30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
    2005 - T50, L31
    bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
    2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
    Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Hi...

While the metal will cause artifacts on the images, there's no problem with the metal heating up, etc. Here's a discussion on the topic:

http://chemnmr.colorado.edu/ammrl/ar...r-98/0033.html

While they're mostly discussing titanium implants, there are some references to stainless steel implants.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you for the responses. I have checked out the site you gave me, Linda, and I guess I'll just have to decide what to do. I had the surgery at 14, and now I'm 51, and I'm just a little nervous about doing anything that might really cause a problem. I'm trying to get some information on just where the rod is and what kind. I had the surgery at the Shriner's Hospital in Salt Lake City and just haven't been able to talk to the right person yet.
        Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Hi...

You really don't need to worry that the MRI will do anything harmful to you. (Other than having to endure it, of course.)

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

MRI's

I can't say anything personally about MRI's and heat with rods since I haven't had any done since having surgery, but I can personally say that I had a tomogram(bone scan) done and I had major inflammation caused by all the heat the machine released-I was on it two different days, almost two hours each day-, the pain lasted more than a few days and was very painful. I got an MRI done before surgery, and from what I remember it doesn't release heat(or has much).
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi...

Tomograms use radiation. MRIs use magnets.

--Linda

Comment

I have had several MRI's and CT Scans, both with and without contrast. There has never been any problem with my old Harrington or with the new titanium rods.
                SandyC

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
                  Hi...

Tomograms use radiation. MRIs use magnets.

--Linda
                  So tomograms are like Xrays?
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Yup...
                    http://www.drdillin.com/education/ba...t_tomogram.htm

My understanding is that it's the closest one can get to a definitive diagnosis of a pseudarthrosis.

--Linda

Comment

I still don't know if that's what I had done, but the machine only had a French name on it, wich resembles tomogram(tomographie in French) but then the doctor called it a bone scan, wich I think is different. It didn't detect the pseudarthrosis that was detected through my surgery. Must have been a bone scan, dunno. I don't even know if they have machines for tomograms, I should ask.

Comment

Sweetness...

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that there are different names for the same procedure. Here's what a bone scan involves:

http://www.drdillin.com/education/ba...t_bonescan.htm

Regards,
                        Linda

Comment

Yeah, that's what I had done. Didn't detect the pseudrathrosis, and it was pretty big according to my surgeon.

Comment

MRIs

Hi All,
                            Just joined! 36 yrs old. Surgery for scoliosis at age 13. Full length thoracic rods (Luque rods).

I have alot of neurological symptoms (numbness, neuropathic burning, flushing) as well as other disorders (Celiac Disease, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, rosacea, Raynaud's, etc).

When I had my operation done in 1983 I had "Luque" rods put in not Harrington rods.

Does anyone know what the Luque rods are made from, and if they are safe to have an MRI with? I don't know much about their difference from Harrington rods other than that they (Luque) are wired in around each vertabrae.

Thank you

Comment

Hi Shelly....

Luque rods are just Harrington rods attached to the spine with wires. They're made from stainless steel. They shouldn't be harmful to you in terms of an MRI, but they will distort the images in the area of the implants.

Regards,
                              Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X