Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

congenital contractures causing idiopathic scoliosis???!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• congenital contractures causing idiopathic scoliosis???!!

Here is a Polish study which really caught my eye because I just had abdominal surgery and my surgeon said my right rectus muscle was barely there--
    atrophied she said. This would correlate with this Polish study in my case--I think.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...pubmed_docsumI

There is an early intervention in young children there(Poland) to look for this 'syndrome of contractures' and an early intervention to prevent scoliosis.
    These contractures are frequently seen on the right side.(My left rectus was normal).
    Last edited by Karen Ocker; 05-06-2006, 03:14 PM. Reason: sentence structure
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Very good--interesting study

Thank you Karen for this interesting study.

"CONCLUSIONS: 1 .The so-called idiopathic scoliosis are connected with the right hip real or functional abduction contracture (sometimes plus flexion and out-rotation contracture)."

I found it very interesting that they mentioned the right hip muscle imbalance as my right leg seems to be rotated outwards when I walk and I have developed a lot of pain in my right hip (have left 75 degree lumbar curve). The drs. have not related the hip pain to the scoliosis and mri's show nothing but I'm sure it must be an imbalance and pinching in it.

The physical therapy that I have had for it has focused on stretching with minimal results (at age 47). I want to show this study to my therapist as his daughter is showing some slight scoliosis and possibly if treated early, could be helped

Quote " We see necessity to introduce new stretching-flexion asymmetric exercises and a special sports program for the children endangered with scoliosis."

I doubt that this will catch on anytime soon in this country as there wouldn't be money for the doctors in it; possibly some for the therapists, though.

Deb

Comment

Karen,
      My daughter, Rachel, exibits this. Her leg turns slightly outward and she walks a bit differently.
      What are the exercises that address this?
      Cheryl
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

I realized that I never updated this post ofter I looked at her again to see which foot turned. Her Spinecor brace has corrected the problem. Her foot no longer turns, and she doesn't walk funny anymore. I talked with another mom that has a daughter in this brace. The brace has corrected her daughter's problem like this also. I was shocked and amazed. I didn't realize this had happened with Rachel. She has had this problem for several years now(3).
        Yay!
        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Cheryl,

So glad to hear that your daughter's hip alignment has improved; probably from the brace. I wish they'd had something like that for me at that age, instead of just that awful Milwaukee brace which did nothing.

Karen,

I shared that article with my physical therapist and he said that the right hip muscles which it mentions are the very same ones which are tight and causing pain in me that he is treating with stretches and exercises! He is going to check his daughter to see if it is the same thing. Hopefully if they are worked on at a young age, her scoliosis will not worsen like ours did.

It does seem like getting these kids checked out by a good physical therapist for muscle imbalances as soon as there is even a hint of curvature would be very good preventative therapy--would be something pro-active to be done during the "watch and wait" phase.

Deb

Comment

Originally posted by Cakedec
            Thank you Karen for this interesting study.

"CONCLUSIONS: 1 .The so-called idiopathic scoliosis are connected with the right hip real or functional abduction contracture (sometimes plus flexion and out-rotation contracture)."

I found it very interesting that they mentioned the right hip muscle imbalance as my right leg seems to be rotated outwards when I walk and I have developed a lot of pain in my right hip (have left 75 degree lumbar curve).
            That is SIJD: Your left innominate has rotated anteriorly. That's why there is muscle inbalance and pelvic torsion.
            And that is what causes scoliosis. And it can be corrected...
            Read:
            http://personal.inet.fi/koti/faro/Se...ut/Others.html

Comment

Working...
            X