Just Feeling Sorry For Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Feeling Sorry For Me

OK, so I thought I would post a "feeling pitiful me" . I had my A/P done in '01 from T4-S1. I had mulitple infections (staph) which required opening me up again x 4. By October of the same year (orig. surgery in Feb.) I had to have all of the hardware removed as a last resort to try and remove the continuing infection. So fast forward to today. I have been aware and in much denial that my hips and waist have changed since the surgery. I'm just putting off the enivenable(sp) of making an appointment and finding out that my lumbar curve has moved. The lower 2-3 ribs are curved into and beyond my hip. At my last post-op visit,in '02, my lumbar was 75*, which means that it is now getting really bad.

So I have a question for you all. I know about how the thoraic curve can effect the heart/lungs. What is the effect of the lumbar curve??? Anyone?

Thanks
    SandyC

I have the same lumbar curve

Hi Sandy,

So sorry to hear about all the pain and problems you have had. What do you think will be their next step in treating your curves?

I also have a 75 degree lumbar curve (with a matching 65 degree thoracic). (Not treated with surgery). Ten years ago they were both 65 but now the lumbar one is getting worse and causing me pain, pushing my waist out on the left and pulling my right hip in and causing pain and sciatica. I know they say that a curve doesn't affect lung function until 90 degrees, but I already get winded quickly and have no stamina. Sometimes I think that the lower curve presses on the muscles around my heart and causes it to race for a few seconds, like a spasm. Also getting heartburn more frequently so imagine it is pressing on the stomach.

Do you have sciatica with it? I have some of that, plus the sciatic joint is so inflamed and swollen that I can barely put weight on it to walk for long without pain; even driving is getting rough. Haven't been able to work for 1 1/2 years. The surgeon will not guarantee that even corrective surgery (T4-L5) will help with the sciatic joint problem, but I think that it will because they can't see anything else wrong with that area other than the scoliosis and others here say that area improved afterwards.

Do you have a brace or supportive wrap for your lower back? They gave me a corset-like one to use and it does help support my back when I'm going to be on my feet or sitting for a long time.

Are you getting any physical therapy or other treatment?

I'm sure others will be along with scientific studies on how the lumbar curves affect things, but this is my personal observation.

Deb

Comment

Hi Sandy...

I'm really sorry. :-(

The good news is that I think even horrendous lumbar curves aren't known to have any affect on organs. The bad news is that they're often far more painful than thoracic curves.

I think it's time to make an appointment. The worry is probably far worse for your health than the truth.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,
        Yes, I know your right.....the unknown is always worse than knowing. I also know that with a history of previous Harringtion/ and removal of same, an A/P with a very long fusion and infection, that my chances of having this fusion "take" was proabably not real good. I know that the only thing that Dr. Deverian is going to be able to do is cut and I'm just very tired of being cut.

I'm so glad that this web site is here.....
        SandyC

Comment

Hi Sandy,

I'm so sorry about all that you've been and are still going through

I'm not an expert or doctor, but I don't think lumbar curves affect the heart and lungs...My advice is to see your doc, and what the curve is. I totally understand that you don't feel like getting cut again, and that's why unless it is urgent(wich I doubt), take your time and maybe see other orthos before deciding on surgery. I don't know if you have pain and what you can or want to tolerate, but look at all your options, like alternative meds(PT for example, if it can help). I know a woman who was told in her youth that she had to have surgery for her lumbar curve or she would end up paralyzed and not be able to have children, and 20 years later she still hasn't had surgery and she is walking, had children and is not really in pain, she said that just working out helps her. I know that's her personal experience but it's to prove that we're all different.

Take it a day at a time, and if you need to talk or get advice, you know you can come here
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

sandy,
            I have both curves(60/60) & I think it most definitely makes the stomach,diagram, intestines all squished. I get major heartburn on bending over. I feel stuffed after half what I used to eat. By night time my stomach feels like a big balloon ready to pop! lots of pressure.
            cakedec: I have that racing feeling sometimes like you say about your heart, muscles..like a spasm every so often. Can't pin everythg on scoliosis but sounds like it the organs get moved around. God knows where they are on me! I just hope after the operation they put everythg back neatly where it's really meant to go...augghhh! Ly

Comment

Working...
            X