First Ortho appointment in 10 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Ortho appointment in 10 years

I started having back pain (again) after the birth of my second child. He is now 5 months and the size of a 10 month old! Carrying him around has really done a number on my back. I am currently in physical therapy, which only provides temporary relief. I have an appointment with the doctor who performed the original surgery on Thursday and I'm so nervous! I had the surgeries when I was 12, but still remember the pain, of course! Also after having two c-sections, I really don't want to have to go thru surgery again. But the pain is so bad that I can barely pick up my son! I just turned 28 and want to be active for my two boys, so I'll do what is necessary.
    I'd love any advise from anyone that had to go thru surgery again. I've read so many stories that sound so similar to my own and I wish I found this forum years ago!

Are you sure surgery?

After the births of two of my children, I also had TREMENDOUS lower back pain...where even walking was killing me (and this happened probably 2-3 months after birth). Turns out it was just muscle spasms...took a muscle relaxant for a week or so and WAAALA! Life was good. (But man was I scared the first time around)

Always Smilin'
    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
    right thoracic 57
    lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
    revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
    unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

I'm really hoping that I'll get an answer like that from the doctor. I'm praying for the pain to be something simple that can be taken care of easily. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Keep me updated

Sure hope all goes well (I'm sure it will). Between baby and carseat that's a LOAD! I know I felt that something must have for sure broke, I couldn't even stand upright very well. But it took time...I just had my third a year ago with none of that pain.

I see results of my MRI Wed...have been having neck, shoulder, and arm pain with tremendous loss of muscle in my arm...not baby related So will be thinking of you as well.

Take care,
        Always Smilin' (Even with pain

Always Smilin'
        Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
        pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
        pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
        right thoracic 57
        lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
        revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
        unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

I didn't have pain until after the birth of my third child. I haven't been in to see a doctor because I'm just a big chicken! The pain isn't constant, thankfully, so when it happens, I just take it easy.

Comment

I am also looking at a possible ortho visit soon after about 10 years of nothing. I also get scared to death whenever my back hurts. I've always just gone to physical therapy, like you, but it's once every year or two. I'm not sure if I'm just going to have constant pain or if there is something wrong and I'll need a second surgery (I had 2 rods and a bunch of screws put in and removed 17 months later as a teenager). I've wanted to get X-rays and check things out, but I've always been way too chicken. So, I definately understand the fear of that first appointment. Sorry this isn't really advice...it just always help me calm down when I hear that other people are having the same problems. I hope all turns out well!

Comment

Working...
            X