View Poll Results: How was your scoliosis first detected?

Voters
261. You may not vote on this poll
  • School screening.

49 18.77%
  • Pediatrician or family doctor.

70 26.82%
  • Family or friends.

69 26.44%
  • Self.

21 8.05%
  • Chiropractor.

12 4.60%
  • x ray/exam for accident or other reasons

21 8.05%
  • Other

19 7.28%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How was your scoliosis first detected?

Smile re: stuff from stasi for inca

hi inca! 1st, happy belated everything! i hope you & your family had a wonderful Christmas/Channukah & WARM new years too!
    i'm so sorry that you are now suffering with scoliosis. i honestly wish i knew how come no doctor every noticed it before. i was blessed that my mom's eyes were so 'attuned' to it since she wore a brace from the age of 2 to age 18. (yep, you DID read that correctly. 16 years she wore a brace. to quote her. "my spine was like a letter Z when i was 2!" she remebered it vividly in her senior years... she noticed it on ME when i was 7 MONTHS OLD! my teeny tiny right shoulder blade stuck out and i was unable to sit up properly at that young age. @ 7 months a baby CAN sit up good, but... 'cause of my scoliosis i wasn't... thank GOD she knew what to look for! sad to say now she has alzheimer's and is in a very wonderful nursing home in our neighborhood in brooklyn.)
    my only suggestion for you is that you seek out the BEST DOC in the scoliosis field! they WILL know what to do better than just an orthopedist. i'm keeping you in my prayers kiddo!!!
    you can write to me directly at: tersieface2@aol.com
    God bless,
    stasi (pronounced 'stacy') but mine IS spelled correctly LOL!
    stasi

first noticed

Hello every one, I think my story is rather unique. I was in the 4th grade washing the dirt off of my basketball. My mother noticed a bulge in the left side of the back....off to the doctor we went! His diagnosis was I was "to right handed." I was to start using the left hand more and practice standing straight! You can only imagine the problems I went though with this attitude from Herr DoKtor! At age 28...feelinjg draft was limited for me, I did go to a doctor that handled these types of problems....Right off he said the word "scoliosis" and nothing he could do with technology at this time. Cruve was 42 degrees. I moved to the southern part of my state.....found new doctor and continued to monotor the spine. One year, the spine went from 42 degrees to 76 degrees in less than six months! Something had to be done to solve this rapid change! Dwyer instrumentation and Harrington rods were placed in back in two separate operations just two weeks apart. Only thing I had to give up was my riding of "spooky" my horse and dozer {rough ride...no springs!} Have had a good live limited little by this surgery. I feel the attitude one has is directly related to a successful recovery.....Sorry for going on and on but wanted to share when and first diagnosis....

First time I've seen this thread.

My scoliosis was first discovered at school screening, the year before high school. I grew up in NZ where kids are screened and innoculated for just about everything at school.

Ignored until rapid progress of curve caused height loss of 6 cm. Never been much of a problem throughout the years, and had two children without problems.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

In about 3rd or 4th grade I remember how uncomfortable the hard chairs were in school and I had to sit a certain way to get comfortable. In 6th grade I noticed my hips and waist were uneven (thought is was from the way I had to sit in school to get comfortable). Told my mom about the uneven hips and waist but she wasn't too impressed by the discovery. In high school my best friend had scoliosis (her moms was a RN) and she told me that I had it too. Mom believed it that time and took me to a doctor.
    dd
    dd
    57 yr. old female
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No Surgery, No Way, Not Ever, but I reserve the right to change my mind
    2003: rotatory component centered at L1 convexed to the left with a measurement of 68 degrees. Gentle compensatory thoracic curve and a more acute compensatory curve in the lumbar spine at L4-5 Superimposed fairly extensive degenerative change seen in the lumbar spine.

re: ddr's posting

hi dd!
    how ya doin' now kiddo?! hope you are well!!! you can write to me direct at: tersieface2@aol.com
    i'm stasi (pronounced 'stacy' but MINE IS spelled correctly LOL!) abramson
    sorry to make this a short but sweet note... but i must... to be continued...
    God bless,
    stasi
    stasi