A few questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions...

I have been down and out with a nasty flu, my back is killing from all the sneezing and coughing , and have a question about meds. Is it just anti inflammatory pills that interfere with the fusion or other types of medicine can as well? I have been taking cough syrup and some decongestant caplets and was wondering, hope I don't sound silly...

Also, I have a dentist's appointment in a few weeks and was wondering if it's a good idea to go, since I read about infections and I'm about 4 months post op. I will see my otho before and will ask him as well.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Sympathy first of all for your flu and pain. Might be a good idea to check with either your doctor or your pharmacist about whether it's OK to take the meds - I have found pharmacists to be better up on a lot of info than my GP. Re dentists: with metal in the body it is essential, I was told, to take antibiotic cover an hour before any invasive procedure, including and especially dental hygiene work. Apparently the bugs love to hide out around the metalwork, and it's a hellish procedure to get them out once they're in. I have found dentists know all about this and hand out the relevant prescriptions.

Hope you'll be feeling a bit more comfortable soon.

Comment

Thank you for your reply, first of all.

I have been to the dentist for years since I have my rods, and never was told about or given antibiotics by her(and she knows about my rods) or my orthos, but I will ask her by phone and ask my ortho when I see him in a few weeks.

I have been taking the meds for my flu, figured it was only for this week but will ask my pharmacist, although I doubt they know so much. I know it's NSAIDs that are not good, don't know about the rest and so I thought more people would have an idea here.

I wanted to say take care of yourself, and how I understand what you've been through with your surgery lately. You described all the pains that I've been having, and so it's normal for you to feel this way. A good slightly padded office chair helped me sit up longer periods of time and walking too. Also, like you, I find that whenever I have pain it's better ot leve it alone, no massages PT or tens units. It was interesting how you said that you had a good fusion but loose hardware, my ortho says the same about previous patients he's operated on.

This flu really did give my back a beating, and that's what I'm concerned about most, since it's hurting now . Anyway take care of you and hang in there, as I will.
      Last edited by sweetness514; 04-21-2006, 01:54 PM.
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Yes, hanging in there is the thing. And thanks for your suggestions and reassurance about the post-operative phase.

I only found out about the antibiotic cover when I had my op, when my daughter had her spinal fusion in the early 1990s no-one said anything about it. But when I was in for my fusion there was another patient having her metalwork taken out because it had got infected. She was going to have to have prolonged antiobiotic treatment, which may or may not work, and then the metalwork put back in. Horrendous thought! My surgeon then told me about the absolute necessity for it, says he often has doctors/dentists phoning him to ask if it's necessary and he says yes, yes, yes! As he says, once he has operated on a few people because of it he does not want more patients going through that. It seems to be in the medical books consulted by doctors, and the 2 dentists I've been to know about it.

Good luck! thanks for your encouragement, and hope your flu is getting better.
        Last edited by Lavinia; 04-22-2006, 10:36 AM. Reason: Inaccuracy

Comment

The need for prophylactic antibiotics is controversial. Some people with implants take prophylactic antibiotics before any dental work. I do not, and when I've discussed this with spine surgeons, they've indicated that they tell patients to use the antibiotics if the patient asks about it. However, if the patient doesn't ask, they do not recommend it. I take that to mean that they're covering their butt, but honestly feel that prophylactic antibiotics aren't all that useful.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Wow Lavinia, about those infected patients Just had my third surgery this December, and I know how you feel, you'll feel better so quickly. There are ups and downs, but it's better than that first surgery for sure...

That is something to think about when I go to the dentist, usually I only get a clean up, and I go twice a year. I will make sure to ask what my ortho thinks about that for sure, and once and for all the meds I can't take. I called my pharmacist and she told me that the meds I took did not have anti inflammatory agents like Advil would, especially since some of them like my cough syrup is homeopathic. What killed me is that she didn't even know that NSAIDs are not good for a fusion! Oh geez, gotta laugh at some incompetence...
            Last edited by sweetness514; 04-22-2006, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X