Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast ?'s

Hello again!

Ok, I need all the help I can get on this one from anyone and everyone who's had children in a risser cast.... how in the world do you stop them from peeing up/on the cast?!?!! I've tried seeming everything and don't know what else to do - I am open to any and all suggestions PLEASE!! Thank you!!

This is what I've tried:

* Peddaling
    * water-proof tape
    * double diapering (very fun by the way)
    * tucking the diaper in as much as I can
    * placing feminine pads in the diaper
    * lining the bottom of the cast with pads
    * changing Liam every hour

And he still manages to pee all up the back and soak the shirt and his cast!! It reeks already and he's only been in it a week!!

PLEASE SEND IDEAS AND WHAT HAS WORKED FOR YOU!!

Thanking you in advance for your help and support!!

Sincerely,
    Jennifer (Liam's mommy)

Jennifer,

It's been a while since we had the casts with diaper changes. When she was first placed in a cast, she was 19 months old and shortly after that was into potty training. The only problem I encountered was when I applied corn starch to a red/wet area in her cast and the thing smelled to high heaven The smell was SO powerful even the doctor commented on it when she was due for a cast change
    Last edited by Celia; 04-19-2006, 07:36 AM.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

jennifer,

it seems like you've tried a lot of ways. how old is liam again? if he is quite young than perhaps

my son is older and started a bit older than liam in casts (2 1/2 and currently 4 1/2 yrs old), but we've had a lot of problems when he is sleeping since he still is not able to go without a diaper at night. our newest solution has been poise pads instead of feminine hygiene pads. poise (or depends) is specifically for urine so i think it holds a lot more. they have different sizes. this is what we do for lucas at night:

put a poise pad in a smaller diaper with the tabs pulled out
      tuck that diaper as far in the front and back as possible
      then a goodnight diaper or any pull-up diaper over that

this has worked wonders although he still has a stinky shirt that we must clean occasionally.

good luck
      deshea
      mom to lucas and ruby (21 months)
      north of boston, ma
      mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
      spinal detethering due to a tight/fatty filum at 22 mos;
      tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
      serial plaster casting from 2 1/2 until 4 1/2 at shriners in erie, pa;
      now in a spinecor brace at 21o/19o from montreal. next appt. sept 2008
      and ruby (3 1/2 yrs old and a handful!)
      north of boston, ma

Comment

Working...
      X