Thread: Cast ?'s

Question Cast ?'s

Hello again!

Ok, I need all the help I can get on this one from anyone and everyone who's had children in a risser cast.... how in the world do you stop them from peeing up/on the cast?!?!! I've tried seeming everything and don't know what else to do - I am open to any and all suggestions PLEASE!! Thank you!!

This is what I've tried:

* Peddaling
    * water-proof tape
    * double diapering (very fun by the way)
    * tucking the diaper in as much as I can
    * placing feminine pads in the diaper
    * lining the bottom of the cast with pads
    * changing Liam every hour

And he still manages to pee all up the back and soak the shirt and his cast!! It reeks already and he's only been in it a week!!

PLEASE SEND IDEAS AND WHAT HAS WORKED FOR YOU!!

Thanking you in advance for your help and support!!

Sincerely,
    Jennifer (Liam's mommy)

Jennifer,

It's been a while since we had the casts with diaper changes. When she was first placed in a cast, she was 19 months old and shortly after that was into potty training. The only problem I encountered was when I applied corn starch to a red/wet area in her cast and the thing smelled to high heaven The smell was SO powerful even the doctor commented on it when she was due for a cast change
    Last edited by Celia; 04-19-2006 at 07:36 AM.

jennifer,

it seems like you've tried a lot of ways. how old is liam again? if he is quite young than perhaps

my son is older and started a bit older than liam in casts (2 1/2 and currently 4 1/2 yrs old), but we've had a lot of problems when he is sleeping since he still is not able to go without a diaper at night. our newest solution has been poise pads instead of feminine hygiene pads. poise (or depends) is specifically for urine so i think it holds a lot more. they have different sizes. this is what we do for lucas at night:

put a poise pad in a smaller diaper with the tabs pulled out
    tuck that diaper as far in the front and back as possible
    then a goodnight diaper or any pull-up diaper over that

this has worked wonders although he still has a stinky shirt that we must clean occasionally.

good luck
    deshea
    mom to lucas and ruby (21 months)
    north of boston, ma