how much did you grow after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much did you grow after surgery?

im having surgery june 19 and i am just wondering to all the people who have had the surgery...

can you please list your degree of curve, S or C, and how much you grew from the surgery? half an inch, inch and a half or whatnot.

thanks!!!

lindsay

degree of curve and height gain

Curvers were 62 upper, 32 lower - gained 2.5 inches; lost over 20 pounds. I looked like a different person but most importantly, I was pain free. Good luck with your surgery!
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

I just posted this in another thread where height was being asked as well.

I lost 3 inches in the last 5 years and I got them all back after surgery.
      I was 5'8 to begin with, lost 3 inches and 'shrunk" to 5'5 and when they measured me after surgery, I was once agin 5'8. I didn't gain additional inches but I gained back all that I had lost due to my curve.
      36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
      Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
      Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
      Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
      Curve post op = 20 degrees
      No pain anymore!!
      Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

I had an S curve, they were in the 70's and 80's. I gained two inches from surgery.
        ~*Lauren*~
        Braced for 5 months
        Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
        Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
        Surgery on April 26th 2005
        Fused from T3-L4
        Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

Instantly taller - a way to measure

My daughter Emily had Spinal Fusion in March, 2005. She went in with a double-major (s-shaped) curve of 78 degrees at its worst point and a height of 5'5". She came out of it with curves of under 20 degrees and 5'8" tall.
          Before her surgery we did a fun experiment. I took a cloth measuring tape (like you use for sewing) and measured between 2 fixed points on her back. I used the bottom of her hairline and the top of her underpants. Then I measured again, starting in the same place, but this time I carefully felt along where her spine really was, curving the tape measure along that route. My measurement showed us that she could gain 3 inches in height, which she ultimately did.
          It's totally non-scientific, but it worked for us.
          Good luck.
          Jeanne

Comment

im having surgery on june 7 and my doctor told me that i will grow two inches
            ~Wanda~
            40TL curve pre op
            Posterior Spinal Fusion with Dr. Pablo Marrero
            San Jorge Children's Hospital in Puerto Rico
            June 7, 2006
            post op curve: 16

Comment

"S" curve, top was 79 degrees, bottom was 54, I "grew" 3 inches from the surgery and an additional 6 as I got older.

Comment

Just wondering how old you are now Etoile and how old when you had the surgery. Six inches is a lot.
                I read about the 'growth' one gets from straightening the spine with the fusion, but what happens after years. Our doctor said that the fused part of the spine will not grow(obviously) but she(my daughter) will grow in her limbs. She is almost 12. Considering surgery in the next months. Curves T50, L30.

Comment

Pola,
                  I didn´t know surgery was so imminent. Sometimes there´s nothing we can do to avoid it, braces not allways work as we want...
                  Good luck with it, you (and Nicole of course) will be in my prayers.

Ailea
                  2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
                  Treatment: Cheneau brace
                  2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

With my son's surgery, he gained about two inches from the surgery. Before surgery, he was 5'9", after he was 5'11". He had it at age thirteen. He is now fourteen, and is still growing. We haven't been back to his surgeon for awhile now, but the last time they measued him in January, he was 6'1". Hope this helps.
                    LeaEvelyn

Comment

My son had surgery in Dec. 05. His "S" curve measured 60T/53L at the time of surgery. He gained about 2". Pre-surgery height measured 5'6 3/4", post-op height is about 5'9" and growing. Good luck to you -

Renee

Comment

I had an S curve but my doctor did the selective fusion surgery where he only fused the top curve hoping the bottom would kind of follow and straighten itself. My top curve was in the 50's and I gained 2cm in height.
                        Last edited by ScoliChick; 04-26-2006, 08:50 PM.
                        My name is sierra
                        I am 17 years old
                        Both my curves are between 55-60 degrees
                        I had surgery on March 10th 2006

Post op my curves are 22 on top and 25 on bottom
                        I had a selective fussion where they only fussed the top curve hoping the bottom would follow

Comment

Working...
                        X