No announcement yet.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all - new update. Hubster is still passing gas---yay!!!! And has even successfully "moved" his bowels! He's been upgraded from a "clear liquid" diet to a liquid diet, of LOTS of milk type products (creamy soups, milkshakes, energy drinks--enough to make me, his lactose intolerant spouse run for the door!-- ). He's also had the cath pulled out, so the only thing he's attached to is the central line (for his occasional morphine).

He has had a slight setback...

Folks, USE THE LITTLE PORTA-POTTY they provide, instead of the room toilet! There's a reason why they want you to use a potty, seven inches higher than a normal toilet! Hubby thought he would be more comfortable on the "regular toilet," so he scooted over the bathroom, plopped down, and quickly realized that he made bad mistake. He had a very hard time getting back up off the toilet, and thought he may have hurt his back (the jury is still out on whether he did or not, the pains could be gas related--but the doctor might x-ray his lower back, just to be sure). Whatever he did to it, he's now having a harder time doing his physical therapy, and "rolling" off of the bed. We'll see what the doctor says.

More updates to come...
    Bryan

Corrected T4 to L4 in May 2006
    Thoracolumbar Curve
    Before 65 Degrees - After 26 Degrees
    Thoracic Curve
    Before 52 Degrees - After 25 Degrees

Comment

There's no place like HOME!

Well, I'm back home...finally.

At last post, the missus mentioned a setback involving the hospital toilet. It felt like a samurai had just sliced across my lower back. It took about four days (four days of excruciating pain, mind you) to convince the doctors and the physical therapist I wasn't just a weenie and that something had gone seriously awry. I was right (though it was pyrrhic victory). It turns out, sitting on the very low toilet (what hospital has a toilet that low, anyway?) forced me to move my back to a point that it caused the the screw on the left side of L4 to pop up about a quarter of an inch, which caused the vertebre to move slightly and fracture, which hurt a lot. That afternoon, I went back to surgery to get it fixed. Since this procedure only lasted about four hours, I went to IMC (Intermediate Care) for the evening. Then it was back up to my room, to start all over again.

Since I had already become adept at log-rolling and getting out of bed, all I really had to do was start walking again, which came quickly. By the next day, I could walk around the entire perimeter of the floor, twice, without a walker. Within two days of surgery number two, I got to go home.

My doc decided to have me fitted for a Boston brace that I have to wear any time I am out of bed for the next three months. It's a little uncomfortable, but I really appreciate the extra stability.

The ride home is rough. We thought it would be a good idea to bring the SUV, since it was a taller vehicle. We thought it would be easy to get into--and it is...if you can bend your back. I was wearing the Boston brace, and it was nearly impossible for me to get into the car. We tried the front seat, the back seat, and having no luck, ended up wedging myself into the cargo area in the back.

The drive home is no fun, no matter what route you take. You WILL feel every flaw in the road--trust me.

Here is where I want to add a few random thoughts:

When you first come out of surgery your hands will be about two or three times their normal size. Don't worry. This will subside, but be aware of your hospital bracelet. When your hands (and wrists) expand, your hospital bracelet will feel like a tourniquet. The nurse had to cut it off me and fit me with a new one.

No matter how many bed baths you take you will stink. There is NO substituting for a real shower.

For any hirsute men, be prepared for bare patches all over.

Within three or four days of surgery I was keenly aware of the pins and rods in my back. This is not painful, but it's a bit uncomfortable.

If you think your sleep patterns will be back to normal after you come home, think again. I thought that being back in my own bed would be an instant comfort, but I can't seen to mentally shut down and this affects your sleep--or lack there of.

For all of you people not going through this with any support, this will be tough. A support system is going to critical. That said, any person, or spouse who goes through this with you is an immediate candidtate for sainthood. I can attest this will not be easy for them. You will become very reliant on the help of others.

That's about it.
      Bryan

Thoracolumbar Curve
      Thoracic Curve

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience with us

Bryan and family,

Thanks so much for sharing your surgery experience with us; so glad that they figured out what had gone wrong and were able to repair it quickly!

All of us who are looking forward?? to our surgery are glad to get the "heads up" on using the raised toilets afterwards to avoid problems.

We're just relieved that you are home and on the road to recovery!! I like the part about your helper being a "candidate for sainthood" and will share it with my family. Keep us updated on your progress.

Deb
        Last edited by Cakedec; 05-15-2006, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Bryan and the missus -- your updates are very much appreciated, especially by those of us waiting nervously for our turn. I wish you a fast and safe recovery and better sleep soon.

I'm going to make my husband read your posts because he has NO IDEA what he's in for.....

Chris
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Bryan...

Good to see you back again, and glad you made it through the ordeal relatively unscathed.

Just so you won't feel so alone, I have another acquaintence who had the same problem post-op (in that she broke a vertebrae (her sacrum)) by trying to clean up after using the toilet. I think hospital personnel may need to be more adamant about stressing the no bending or twisting rule.

Happy healing!

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I never have had any pain either, just a lot of emotional pain from the deformity. I am scheduled for my first surgical consult tomorrow.

Comment

Bryan...

I was wondering about you, and I'm glad you're home but man what an experience...

The sainthood comment is very fitting, and believe me after having had three surgeries, I know it can be hard on relationships and those who are close to you.

Try to get some rest.
                35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Bryan,
                  Glad to hear you are doing well, keep up the good work and get lots of rest!
                  36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                  Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                  Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                  Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                  Curve post op = 20 degrees
                  No pain anymore!!
                  Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

This forum is GREAT!!! I read it almost every day since i am anticipating surgery myself. Thanks for the information on your husband's surgery, and I wish the best for the both of you.

Debbie
                    A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
                    T2 to Sacrum
                    Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
                    Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
                    Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
                    Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
                    Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Comment

Suzy is not kidding.... I went 13 days with no bowel movement. It was awful. I was in pain and crying. You don't realize how bad that feels until you experience it. When your stomach is so bloated and you have a 6" incision from my anterior surgery it hurts.....
                      Make sure they start giving you something as soon as you start eating. I didn't take it when they offered it because I thought "oh no big deal", boy was I wrong. Sometimes you learn the hard way..

Comment

13 days Lisa! Holy S*#~! no pun intended....... I think it took over a week & 1/2 or so for me, then it felt like I was delivering a baby. Something you DO NOT want to experience Bryan, being male after all! I plan on filling my Dr. in on the fact laxatives combined with stool softners are the way to go. (HA, that sounds funny) He thought stool softners would be enough. I have 3 month check up next Tues 23rd. I'm still having some problems. But I am still on pain meds..........

Comment

The first hand, up-to-date reports are very helpful to those of us who will be going through the same thing soon. Like others, the elevation to "sainthood candidate" was funny as well as truthful I am sure. I have had my husband read your story and it has been just the kind of honesty that we need to hear. Keep posting when you can!!!

Comment

My first real BM was the day after my second surgery. It felt like I was passing barbed wire covered bricks. You are absolutely correct Suzy. If men gave birth, humans would have died out ages ago. Still, it was nirvana to have it out.
                            A few notes on my third day home. The human body is no great multitasker. All of it's resources appear to be dedicated to mending my back. My internal thermostat is way off - one minute I'm freezing, the next I'm melting. Anything you do makes you tired - even sitting. Then there's the sleeplessness. My first night home, I took my perscribed painkiller, hydrocodone - yes the hydrocodone, to alleviate the pain and help me sleep. I got real warm for about ten minutes, then I got real tingly for ten minutes, I passed out for about thirty minutes and spent the rest of the night awake, hurting, and with indigestion. People get addicted to this? The next night I went with plain old Extra Strength Tylenol. It seemed to take the edge of the aches longer, but I still couldn't get to sleep. Tonight, it's Tylenol PM. Here's hoping.
                            The site of the bone graft has made it's presence known today. It's pretty uncomfortable, and the pain travels all the way down my leg. It almost makes me forget they did anything to my spine. Almost.
                            Last edited by CorkScrew; 05-18-2006, 06:17 PM. Reason: Forgot a word
                            Bryan

Thoracolumbar Curve
                            Thoracic Curve

Comment

Originally posted by CorkScrew
                              My internal thermostat is way off - one minute I'm freezing, the next I'm melting.
                              Have you checked your temperature? It sounds like you may have one.

I totally remember the sleepless nights. The good news is that they don't last forever. :-)

Regards,
                              Linda
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Bryan, keep the posts coming. They're great. I just love it when people go into morbid detail.....that's the stuff I really want to know. Hope you're sleeping.
                                Chris
                                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                                X