shoulder blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shoulder blade

I'm very self-concious about my scoliosis, especially about how much my shoulder blade sticks out. I don't like to wear really baggy clothes (and they aren't in style) and every shirt I wear looks horrible. The shoulder blade is really noticable and it pulls the material in a weird way which makes it even worse. Does anyone have any advice on what types of shirts I can wear? Especially since it's almost summer and I'll be wearing more tshirts and tanktops. And what about bathing suits? I'm way to self-concious to even go to the beach (I only swim in friends pools). I'd really appreciate any advice.

When I shop for bathing suits, tanks, etc. I try to find something with a print. Not necessarily a pattern like stripes (which may make any unevenness more apparent). I find prints make it less noticeable.

You shouldn't worry so much about going to the beach. People probably don't notice as much as you think.

I heard a saying once that I think is so true: "when you're in your twenties you worry about what everyone thinks about you; when your're in your forties you don't care what everyone thinks; and when you're in your sixties you realize they probably were never thinking of you to begin with."

Hope this helped a little.

Renee

Comment

I agree that people really do not pay such meticulous attention to others' backs; however, I have always been self-concious about my shoulder blade, as well. I have pretty much come to terms with myself that it is not a big deal, but when I want to hide it I try to find shirts with extra detailing on the top and I definetely stay away from light, solid colors. Dark colored shirts are a great way to hide it because shadows don't show up as well.

As for bathing suits at the beach, I don't think there is an easy way to hide it considering suits reveal most of a person's back; however, when you think about all of the crazy (and sometimes unwanted) things you see at the beach, having an imbalance in a shoulder blade is not as bad as we may perceive it to be. We just have to look at it everyday so it seems more noticeable to us.

Moira

Comment

Yeah, I have the shoulder blade problem as well. What I've come to realize, though, is that it only makes me look skinnier. Besides, not that many people will stare at your back. I have a long scar down the middle from surgery, and no one notices at dances. You just have to think about your positives; believe me, people won't be looking at your back if you're smiling at them.

Comment

With my spine one side of my hip is raised so you can see the creases in my tops and on the same side as that hip my shoulder is lowered and I have to tighted that side of my bra strap as tight as posible yet straps from vest tops and my bra still flop over my shoulder, showing that it's un even.

I don't really care now if poeple can notice mine anymore, I haven't had anyone come up to more or stare at me so I can still wear my clothes (although my robe like thing makes my hip noticable so I pretend to stand with a leg bent).
          Adolescent Idiopathic Thoracic Lumbar Scoliosis

Back Pain started in October 2001
          Diagnosed - June 2003

Thoracic and Lumbar curves- 37 degrees
          Started Hospital examination - June 2003
          Discharged from hospital - November 2006

Comment

Working...
          X