Double curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double curve

Has anyone had surgery for a double curve where they just fuse the thoraic curve and leave the lumbar curve unfused? Apparently when they 'correct' the upper/thoraic curve the lower curve is straightened out by a pull effect. They leave the lower unfused because a fusion here restricts movement. I had this a few yrs ago and am now experiencing pain. Could this be due to worsening of the lower curve? I'm a little concerned as I don't really fancy more surgery.

Originally posted by Ukman
    Has anyone had surgery for a double curve where they just fuse the thoraic curve and leave the lumbar curve unfused? Apparently when they 'correct' the upper/thoraic curve the lower curve is straightened out by a pull effect. They leave the lower unfused because a fusion here restricts movement. I had this a few yrs ago and am now experiencing pain. Could this be due to worsening of the lower curve? I'm a little concerned as I don't really fancy more surgery.
    My doctor did that only because my lumbar curve was a compensatory curve. I don't know about the other part of your questions I'm not even a year post op. Hope everything works out! ~Shelley
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

I had a double curve, and they fused me down to L2, not that low according to most orthos, b/c they wanted me to keep some flexibility. My ortho did talk about the pulling effect.

Gettting an Xray done would answer your question if your curve is either coming back or worsening.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi, I had a double curve in my spine but they only corrected the top curve. I was fused two years ago from T2 to T12, and had the metal work removed a year ago because of the pain it caused. But over the last 9 months I have been experiencing excrusitating pain in the lower part of my back, into my hip and down my leg.

I have been to see a hydrotherapist but she actually made the pain worse. I now see a physiotherapist who has given me stretching exercises to do to increase the flexibility in the lower part of my back. He has said that there isn't much he can do for me as the pain is caused by deteriation of the spine because it does the work of my other vertebrae. However I find that the stretching helps a bit with the pain and using heat pads also help sometimes.

Laura
        Last edited by laurad; 04-12-2006, 03:25 PM.

Comment

last july i had a section of my lumbar spine fused although i had a thoracic curve too (it was a compensatory one, the lumbar was the structural one).

the first way to rule out a source of your pain is to get a spinal xray and see if there are any problems with your fusion or remaining free vertebrae. have the xray checked by the consultant who did your surgery or at least their registrar. if the xray doesn't show anything unusual i'd imagine they would recommend physiotherapy to try and determine the source of your pain, but you may yourself be able to tell if it's skeletal pain or neuromuscular (does the pain feel like it's in the bone or is it similar to a muscle strain or nerve damage?)

so i'd say get an xray to check your spine out as a first course of action and see where it goes from there.

out of curiosity, where did you have surgery?
          diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
          braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
          fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
          Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
          scoliosis support forum

Comment

marmyte I had surgery in the Middlesex in London 2001. Am going for checkup next month and will find out if there is a prob then. Whatever happens I still think it's the best thing I've ever done.

Comment

Working...
            X