Anyone else have this problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have this problem

Hello all. I've recently noticed a rise in shocking myself with metal objects. i.e. car, radios, telephones.... I don't know if it has anything to do with the hardware or what. Its really odd, therefore it might just be my luck. who knows. any input is most appreciated.
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

It's just you ;-)

I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with your implants. It probably has to do with the weather.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks... I guess I'll just have to wade it out.
      25 yr old female =^_^=
      Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

I live in a cold climate(winter, but now it's finally nice Spring, yay!), and I do get shocks whenever I touch electric stuff b/c of the static coming from the heaters, and yes it gives a huge shock to my rods, but my hubby feels it too, not as much but he bitches about it, and he has no hardware in his back.

Btw, how are you since you had the accident? Hopefully better, man I fret about all the holes we hit everytime I'm in the car, Our streets are so bad.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Shelley,

We must have more in common than our birthdate! I had been wondering the same thing! I know the weather also plays a part in it. I have been getting shocked all the time no matter if the air is dry or humid. When it's dry other people also get shocked but not as much or as easily as me. Just this past week I got shocked just by touching the material on a teacher's sleeve! These are also loud shocks, other people hear them. I'll try to do a google search on metal implants and shocks and let you know.
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa
            I'll try to do a google search on metal implants and shocks and let you know.
            Already did that... the only thing I found was about cochlear implants.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I've noticed that shocks seem to be more extreme this Winter too...to the point that I have seen the little zap of light extend out from the light switch or the car handle a couple of times and this has been before I even touch them. I've just chalked it up to the very dry Winter that we've had in the Northeast this year.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetness514
                I live in a cold climate(winter, but now it's finally nice Spring, yay!), and I do get shocks whenever I touch electric stuff b/c of the static coming from the heaters, and yes it gives a huge shock to my rods, but my hubby feels it too, not as much but he bitches about it, and he has no hardware in his back.

Btw, how are you since you had the accident? Hopefully better, man I fret about all the holes we hit everytime I'm in the car, Our streets are so bad.

I'm still achy. Just three days ago I went to meet up with the claims adjuster for the taillight that was messed up from the accident. Well, I pulled into a parking spot and put the car in park, pulled the e-brake, opened the door and had my seatbelt unbuckled and was about to exit the car when someone backed into me AGAIN! I'm seriously considering cutting my license in half and never driving again! At least this time the accident occured where there were quite a few witnesses. I know how you feel about the potholes. I live close to DC and the famouse cobblestone streets. I HATE it! I always end up premedicating myself before I go on a car ride with my husband to the city. :/

Originally posted by Theresa
                Shelley,

We must have more in common than our birthdate! I had been wondering the same thing! I know the weather also plays a part in it. I have been getting shocked all the time no matter if the air is dry or humid. When it's dry other people also get shocked but not as much or as easily as me. Just this past week I got shocked just by touching the material on a teacher's sleeve! These are also loud shocks, other people hear them. I'll try to do a google search on metal implants and shocks and let you know.
                The birthday and the fact that you live in TX (I grew up just a few hours south of Houston down near Corpus Christie, I'll be there in 2 weeks! YAY!) Any who... I was secretly hoping I wasn't the only person out there who was getting the everliving daylights zapped out of them. Today I was outside with my almost 3 yr old and I went to grab my Nestea when the can it was in zapped me. My next door neighbor was outside when it happened and she heard the noise from the shock. I hope y'all find something about this. I don't want to call my surgeon and sound like a chicken because I can't handle being zapped everytime I go to touch something. (I'm sure he'll be laughing at me as soon as I get off the phone with him. I know I would LOL)
                Last edited by itsjustme; 03-27-2006, 06:02 PM.
                25 yr old female =^_^=
                Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

I think it's more due to the weather than anything else. I haven't had surgery but I have been getting static shocks daily for months, even giving my kids a kiss in morning when dropping off at school. Its gotten to where I hate to touch things like the car door, mail box and when I'm at the gas station (I keep imagining I'll be that person you see on the evening news that spontaneously combusted while filling the tank

I asked my son who just had surgery if he has noticed a difference and he said no.

Renee

Comment

Shelley,

While I was searching the internet (only found stuff on the cochlear implants like Linda did) I found a really interesting and fun website to read about electric people. Beware of who you talk to about this website!!!!......I said something to my husband about it the other night at bedtime and he couldn't stop laughing about it.
                    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                    Fused T2 to sacrum
                    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I'm at the point I can't even kiss my husband on the lips, we get shocks almost everytime. I thought it had to do with the heaters being on so much last month b/c it was so cold in February, and even if I think that makes it worse, I still get shocks and the heaters are not on much lately... We'll see this Summer. Like I said, my hubby who has no hardware has been getting them for years but I think it could be slightly worse with people who have hardware, b/c I feel it all the way in my rods.

Shelley, what a bummer about the other accident I understand how you would feel when you hurt yourself and sometimes think that you may have displaced something, like a screw( even if it's not the case). I am very anxious about that, since I had revision surgery lately, and just this past weekend while doing the bed I had a sharp pain in my upper screw, and am still in pain there, so it worries me and I wish I didn't know about breakages and stuff like I do now. After my first surgery I never worried about it b/c nobody told me about it and so those days of not knowing were better
                      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I get shocked all the time too. I started getting shocked awhile ago, but it is worse when I work at my weekend job out where it is really dry. I will go to touch a filing cabnet and just shock the heck out of myself. I guess I just have a shocking personality. Lol. I thought it was just me, I guess not. Happy to know I am not alone.

Comment

Working...
                        X