No announcement yet.

Hello to all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Ryan, I agree that Shelby's health and recovery is the most important thing. My husband and I have decided that if it is safe for adolescents then the BMP is the way to go. I also read on the internet that sometimes the bone graph doesn't fuse for whatever reason and the BMP is a sure thing. Just don't know how a child's body will react to it. However our surgeon has used it and highly recommends it. I just didn't know that I needed to ask him about its use in kids, I thought if he has used it before it must be okay. Anyway, maybe I will find out some more info on it before you see your doctor as I have an e-mail into our surgeons nurse. I will let you know if I find out anything. Sorry to hear you passed out but good to hear you are okay.

Kathy

Comment

Hi Ryan,

I too am sorry to hear you passed out, maybe you were just on your feet too much so soon after donating.

I want to correct myself on the BMP thing, I don't mean to say it is unsafe - I don't recall reading anything that said it was, just that it had only been approved for limited use in adults and not approved for children. From what I recall, the success rate for fusions is good with children using autologous bone. Of course, things may have changed over the past few months, I think that would be a good thing. I remember another parent that said a dr. they interviewed proposed using BMP for their daughters surgery, but they would have to sign some kind of form, maybe a waiver(?). Every dr. is different in their approach. I wish you the best and keep us posted!

Renee

Comment

Ryan,
        Sorry to hear you passed out. That's just no fun, not that any of this is much of a party. I'm sure you'll do better next time. Now you know to take it extremely easy for 24 hrs. after donating. Breanne almost passed out twice but they got her head down and the smelling salts out and she perked up.

Renee,
        My daughter is having a posterior fusion T3-T12. She is also having a thorcoplasty to remove her rib hump. Yeah 4 units was a lot to donate. It was hard to just see her go through donations. It's really going to be hard next week. Monday we have an appt. w/ a cardiologist because of a normal variant in her prop EKG. I PRAY it's nothing.

Take Care
        Kate

Comment

Hi Kate,

You and you daughter will be in my prayers this week. The week before is hard dealing with the anticipation, worry and preparations but there is light at the end of the tunnel and soon you will be "on the other side" breathing a big sigh of relief! As hard as it is, try to get as much rest as possible (your daughter also) because you will probably will not get much rest in the hospital. Joe had a room with 2 other beds and there was always nurses/staff/people coming in and out, plus with the various monitors (joe's and others) beeping, etc. it was really hard to rest. Plus your watching over your child every moment.

I hope everything goes ok with her cardiologist appt on Monday and no setbacks. Keep us posted, take care -

Renee

Comment

Kate,
            I just wanted you to know that I am sending my thoughts and prayers to you and your daughter for her surgery tomorrow. We will all be anxious to hear how she does.

Take care,
            Kathy

Comment

Kate,

Hope you guys are doing ok. I pray your daughter's surgery is uncomplicated and recovery smooth and uneventful.

Renee

Comment

Thanks Renee and Kathy for your concern. I'll keep you posted. I can't wait to be on the road to a great recovery with my daughter!!
                Kate

Comment

Ryan,

I just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you tonight. I have my calendar marked for your surgery on Easter Monday.

I know you will do fine. I will look forward to hearing from you after your surgery. May God give you peace and comfort as you count down the days before surgery. May God heal your body completely and quickly and may this be the last surgery you will ever need. And lastly, may God use this experience, at a later date, to help you help others.

Kindest Regards,
                  GAil
                  Last edited by Gail; 04-10-2006, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Hi Ryan,
                    Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope all is good. Sending warm thoughts and prayers for your upcoming surgery on Monday. Please let us know how you are doing.

Good Luck and God Bless,
                    Kathy

Comment

Ryan,
                      Good luck with your surgery Monday. Breanne and I found a lot of wonderful people at Children's. I'm sure you will too.Try to have a peaceful weekend. Hope to hear from you soon.
                      Kate

Comment

Good luck with your surgery. Sending lots of hugs your way...

Brandi
                        Brandi
                        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                        L1-S1
                        Dr. William Lauerman
                        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Ryan,

My daughter, age 14 just had surgery 9 days ago and was in the hospital for 4 days. She had a posterior spinal fusion and thoracoplasty. I am not familiar with a stryker bed. Good luck to you.

Comment

Scoliparent,
                            My 15 year old daughter had surgery 8 days ago. Was in the hospital for 6 days. How long was her fusion? How is she feeling now?
                            Kate

Comment

Breeze, My daughter was in the hospital for 4 days. Her surgery was 8 hours and her fusion was from T4 to L2 with thoracoplasty. She is feeling fine with pain meds every 4 hours.

Comment

hello everyone,
                                im sorry i havent been able to reply to u all for the past week or so......last week i came down with a viral infection so i had to stay low for a couple of days but evrything is fine and tomorrow i will proceed with my surgery. i am very nervous but with the help and support from my family, friends, and especially ALL OF YOU ALL ON HERE i will be able to get through it quite smoothly. i just wanted to take this time to show my dearest appreciation for all of you, without you all these last couple of weeks wouldve been hectic....i know my parents and family can show support but not like some one that has had this ordeal before and you all have definatley given me a boost and a half and i just really really really deeply appreciate everything you all have done for me, like i said before it just shows you that there are people out thre who care and show support to you and that brightens my day everyday and will through this whole proceedure......... thanks a million!!!!

deepest appreciation,
                                Ryan
                                my name is Ryan Kelsch
                                i have a curve of 45-50 degrees
                                and my surgery is scheduled for aApril 17th

Comment

Working...
                                X