No announcement yet.

Medication that helps with nerve pain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medication that helps with nerve pain.

I was in some very extreme nerve pain up until a month ago. I went to a Neuro physician that specializes in pain management and he put me on a med. called Lyrica. It is or was invented for patients that have MS and suffer severe nerve pain. I take 100mg twice a day and it has really helped me deal with the pain. I have experienced no real side effects thus far. I recommend at least giving it a shot. Regards, Jeremy

Another one is Neurontin. It has been around for awhile and I have heard it works really well. I have never personally had to use it, but I know a lot of people who have had great relief from it.

Comment

I have been put on Gabapentin for nerve pain. It takes several weeks to build up to full strength but works very well once you've taken it for a while.
      Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
      Post op 30(T)/33(L)
      http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

FYI - Gabapentin is the generic name for Neurontin. AND, Lyrica is made by the makers of Neurontin. My hubby has MS and was taking Lyrica (doctor samples) but our insurance will not allow him to take it because it is not for the intended use, or something stupid like that. Hopefully as Lyrica becomes more common, the insurance restrictions will ease up. We can hope, can't we?
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

I am real sorry to hear about your insurance problems. It is terrible the price people pay for premiums and they cannot even get the proper medication and treatment that could possibly help. I truly hope your husband will be able to try the Lyrica. It has helped tremendously for me with my nerve pain and I would hope it would help relieve some of your husbands pain as well. I was told it was prescribed to patients with MS. Good luck to you both! Jeremy

Comment

I took Lyrica for a couple of months. It didn't work for me. I take Neurontin (1200mgs twice daily)and it has really helped with the nerve related pain in my leg.
            Brandi
            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
            L1-S1
            Dr. William Lauerman
            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
            X