Social Security Questions???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Security Questions???

Hi, I had a spinal fusion approx 2 months ago. I have had severe complications on my right side with severe decrease in motor skills of my right foot and severe nerve damage of the L5. I work in the law enforcement field and have to pass an intense PT course with full gear approx. 60 lbs. running and doing various other exercises. There is no way at this time I will be able to return to work. EMG has proved severe nerve damage as stated above. Problem here is that I have short term disability for only 6 months and then nothing. What are my options with SS? When can I apply for SS? I cannot afford to be without pay after that 6 month period. This is really beginning to affect my mental state. I am 30 years old and Dr. that did the EMG stated in his report there is a possibility that I may not get anything back in that nerve or hardly anything if at all. I am in intense physical therapy right now to try to improve my strength. I can only walk about a half a mile on the treadmill before my foot and leg fatigues and foot starts to drag. Please help. I need to know what my options are. I am going with all my records to another neurosurgeon this friday for a second opinion on everything. Thanks in advance. Jeremy

Hi Jeremy...

I'm really sorry to hear your story. :-(

Your surgeon's office may be able to help you with disability. Is there any possibility of working in a non-physical job for the force?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Unfortunately there is not. I am just ignorant to the whole social security thing. I am worried that I will end up going without a income for some time. I cannot believe they would turn me down for SS. My mom said maybe I should seek legal advice or talk with a social security person to find out where I stand. My last physical therapy session I could lift my left foot up to my calf with 89 lbs of pressure, my right was only 8lbs of pressure. Before the surgery my left side was affected and immediatley after surgery my right was 3 times worse than my left pre surgery. I am worried I may never be able to return to my job. On a lighter happier note I proposed to my girlfriend on my 30th birthday last wednesday. She is the greatest and has been extremely supportive of me throughout this. Jeremy
      Last edited by Jeremy1976; 03-15-2006, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Congrats on the engagement!!

Does your company have long term disability available?

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I would first find out from proabably your local unemployment office about state disablity. Then I would go see an attorney that deals just with SS. He won't charge you and you will get a better idea where you stand with dealing with SS Administration
          SandyC

Comment

Ss

Hi! Congrats on your engagement! That is wonderful news!

I wanted to tell you that I am also in a similiar situation. I had to apply for disability and I wanted you to know, depending on the situation, that it can be a very long process! Don't wait to start it all! You should find out about long term through your work, perhaps ask someone in human resources, but I have heard from many people that the key is to get a doctor to back you and give you some type of written documentation that states you are disabled. (even if it is just for right now) I've heard that makes it go extremely fast. Again, at least through my experiences so far, the process is SO long! I can't believe it! I guess they basically deny everyone the first and second time you fill out all of the information and paperwork. Also, they have a website that answers many questions you may have. That may be of some help.

I understand how you feel because I have been unable to work since last April, am close to your age and am also experiencing quite similar symptoms. I've had a really strong pain around my pelvic area that shoots down my right leg. I have Harrington rods from previous scoliosis surgery. Why did you have the surgery you had? I believe my pinched nerve is from the L4 L5 area where the vertebra are leaning. I have realized that this seems common in people who have rods and scoliosis through this site.

Please let me know a bit more about your situation when you have the chance. My surgeon has told me I should have fusion in that area (which would mean I'd be completely unflexable) and have the rods out. I am so confused as to what makes sense the more research I do!
            I wish you the best,
            Andrea

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy
              Congrats on the engagement!!

Does your company have long term disability available?

Mary Lou
              Thank you for the congrats. It is the only thing that is keeping me happy these days. And no, I do not have long term through work.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyC
                I would first find out from proabably your local unemployment office about state disablity. Then I would go see an attorney that deals just with SS. He won't charge you and you will get a better idea where you stand with dealing with SS Administration
                Thanks for the advice. I started looking for attorneys this last thursday and will make some calls on monday. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Update!!!

I got back from Madison Spine Center yesterday and got some very troubling news. This surgeon I saw is one of the best there is. He took one look at my scans and 5 minutes later he came in and was disgusted as to what he saw. One of my pedicle screws was put in wrong on an angle and went through the canal or hole that is by the L5, that allows all your nerves to travel through. It is compressing one of the nerves severely and he is unsure if it is partially severed or not. He told me, and showed me how apparent it was on the scan. He also stated with the complaints I had 1 week post op he would of did a scan immediately and had me back in surgery. Now almost three months later I am scheduled for basically another fusion. April 19th he has to go back in and remove the whole right side and realease the nerve and possibly re attach a portion of it. I immediatly broke down in his office along with my mom and fiancee. He also stated that there is a good chance the nerve will stay the way it is due to the length and severity of it being compressed and possibly severed partially. He also could not believe my surgery costed me over $112,000 total. The main surgeon called in another Neurosurgeon for an unknown reason on top of having his physicians assistant in there with him. He never said a thing to me about this and I first found out when I got a bill from this surgeon I never heard of for $36,000. My surgeon also canceled my 6 week post op that was scheduled for exam and X-rays without consulting with me. He just had the secretary call me and leave a message stating the appointment was canceled. Then when he found out I was getting a second opinion he was kind of angry and thought I did not trust him. I wonder why now. Well, I am getting frustrated typing this so I am going to go for now. I am just completely burned out and have no energy with all of this. Thanks for listening, Jeremy

Comment

Originally posted by Andreams
                    Hi! Congrats on your engagement! That is wonderful news!

I wanted to tell you that I am also in a similiar situation. I had to apply for disability and I wanted you to know, depending on the situation, that it can be a very long process! Don't wait to start it all! You should find out about long term through your work, perhaps ask someone in human resources, but I have heard from many people that the key is to get a doctor to back you and give you some type of written documentation that states you are disabled. (even if it is just for right now) I've heard that makes it go extremely fast. Again, at least through my experiences so far, the process is SO long! I can't believe it! I guess they basically deny everyone the first and second time you fill out all of the information and paperwork. Also, they have a website that answers many questions you may have. That may be of some help.

I understand how you feel because I have been unable to work since last April, am close to your age and am also experiencing quite similar symptoms. I've had a really strong pain around my pelvic area that shoots down my right leg. I have Harrington rods from previous scoliosis surgery. Why did you have the surgery you had? I believe my pinched nerve is from the L4 L5 area where the vertebra are leaning. I have realized that this seems common in people who have rods and scoliosis through this site.

Please let me know a bit more about your situation when you have the chance. My surgeon has told me I should have fusion in that area (which would mean I'd be completely unflexable) and have the rods out. I am so confused as to what makes sense the more research I do!
                    I wish you the best,
                    Andrea
                    Yes, the reason I had two previous back surgeries was due to herniated discs probably caused by a motor vehicle accident in 1997 that just progressively got worse over time. Trust me, I feel for all who have ant type of chronic back problems especially scoliosis. People just have a hard time understanding that are not in the same situation. I will say definetely get a second opinion and research what the surgeons history is. I am going monday to seek an attorney, I have no other choice in the matter. I also had a EMG from another Dr. stating that the severe nerve damage I have may never return. So as far as documentation I have a lot of good stuff I think that will strengthen my SS case. And in order for me to return to my career I need to run a intense SWAT course with full gear (Approx. 60lbs).
                    Attached is a letter I typed up and hand carried to the surgeon who did the surgery and the Neurological physician who did the EMG. This is before the bad news that I received yesterday.

3-15-06

Dr. XXXXXX

As you know I have run into some unfortunate complications post surgery. I am optimistic that these complications will get resolved with time and therapy. I however have another problem that I am facing. After 6 months my short term disability runs out and I will be left with no income. Also in talking with you in the past I explained that my insurance runs out after 90 days and forces me to pay for the Cobra plan which will be $450.00 monthly for me. I have been going to physical therapy and my right foot is very weak in comparison to a normal foot. I still am having difficulty walking more than a ½ mile without extreme fatigue setting in. Dr. XXXXXX I am asking for your support in applying for Social Security Disability. I have been doing research and it states that if your Physician supports you in saying there is a possibility I may not be able to return to work within a 12 month period it will strengthen my case tremendously. I realize there is a chance I may return to work within twelve months of my surgery date 1-9-06. However I do need to think ahead in the event I am unable to return to work before I meet that 6 month timeline. I need to have your support and documentation to get the process started as soon as possible. If I am able to return to work within a couple of months it is easy to cancel the Social Security benefits. If I am unable to return, I need to have some sort of income to afford the insurance that will provide me to continue physical therapy and any other procedures I may endure. I am learning in my research that Social Security can take up to 4 months alone just to process the application. This is the reason why I would like to address this as soon as possible. I know you are a compassionate person and will understand the predicament I am in. If you have any questions regarding this matter you can contact me at XXX-XXX-XXXX. Thank you for all the support you have given me thus far.

Sincerely,

Jeremy

Comment

Good Luck

Jeremy, I am deeply touched by your predicament and wish you all the best of luck with surgery

As far as your engagement, congratulations, and I know how hard it must be but I will say that if your fiancee is supporting you through all of this, it's showing you the kind of person she is and you're very lucky, as she is. This is when you see what people are made of, and you deserve a pain free future, don't give up
                      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Jeremy,

I just got my SSD in Nov of 2005. It took almost 2 years. I applied first by myself as is required and was turned down. I then got an attorney and she filed again and we did go to a hearing and I was granted my SSD on the spot. They did pay me back checks from the day I was disabled excluding the first 5 months which is not included for any one. Some kind of exclusion. The amount is based on your past earnings. I had a good salary for awhile so my checks are OK. But I do know people that get $450. a month because they didn't work much in their lives or just made min. wage. Make sure you get all your medical records so you can send copies to SS. I did qualify but I didn't have my MRI done at that time and when we refiled my nerve compression at L4-L5 was included. So I was eligible for life. Oh lucky me Also if you get on the WEB, type in Harrington Rod or Pedicle Screw. There is a class action law suite because the Pedicle Screw was never FDA approved for the spine. Yep, that's right. It was only for legs and long bones. It is the only screw that back drs. have for now so we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. I ran across that about a year ago.

Good luck
                        Bern

Comment

Working...
                        X