X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally a Successful MRI done

I am new to the boards.
    DD 13yo with 57 curve lined up to have surgery some time this summer
    She finally had successfully MRI today I can't thank the ladies Sacred Heart enough for getting it right on the third attempt. We went somewhere else the first 2 times. MISTAKE. Having surgery done at Shriner's Tampa.
    Anyone having anything done there?
    Family scared but happy it is going forward.

I can't remember ever hearing of an unsuccessful MRI. What happened?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My MRI experience

My 13 yo DD had to try 2 other times. The First time the medicine used for sedation just made her hyper. the second time they would not wait 20 min for it to kick in. She moved her head and they turned off the machine.Took her out and said they could not help us.
      The Radiologist slipped up and said something about a tethered cord.
      I am lost, This is so new to us. She wore a brace for 2 years and now surgery. UGH!

Comment

Just wondering how long the MRI your daughter had lasted, my 11 year old daughter is having one tomorrow and we were told it will last 1 hour. If moving her head causes them to stop like in your second(?) attempt, I wonder how she will stay still 1 hour!!

Comment

Originally posted by cyprusmom
          Just wondering how long the MRI your daughter had lasted, my 11 year old daughter is having one tomorrow and we were told it will last 1 hour. If moving her head causes them to stop like in your second(?) attempt, I wonder how she will stay still 1 hour!!
          You don't have to stay still for the full hour. Each sequence of images are taken in 2 - 5 minute period.. You get a small break inbetween to wiggle a tiny bit.
          30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
          2005 - T50, L31
          bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
          2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
          Post - op curve ~35

Comment

When I had mine, they sedated me. After 20 minutes they started putting me in the machine and had to pull me out as I got sick! They were very patient and waited for my stomach to settle down and let me go into the machine with a cold wash cloth on my face. It seemed like the teat took an eternity, but my husband said it was about 30 minutes.
            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I just had my neck done but all but my legs were in the MRI apparatus.

One happy thought I had going in was that at least I didn't have to worry about throwing up, as I was on Valium. Believe me, my first "meltdown" was at the pharmacy, I got all trembly asking questions, "And I won't throw up right?"

The Valium I had was 5 mg., 3 tablets. I took all three after feeling absolutely nothing from the first two and I had a momentary alarming thought, "Ohmygosh, it's in a half an hour!" Down the hatch with number 3. Even then, I felt "normal" but I was admittedly well, not freaking out.. I had a worry here, worry there but I didn't "go there."

Now I wonder why they couldn't use the same support, arch, to support children's head as mine was supported. It had soft cotton pads they tucked in on the sides and it really was not unpleasant. It was comfy even. It sounds worse than I am describing it. Hope this helps someone.
              Traction at 13, body cast 1 mos., Milwaukee, first plastic (severe allergy, abdomen skin burst, watery) then leather. Harrington Rod @ 15, 9 mos body cast, hips up. 9 more mos being careful and protective. Degenerated disc C4-5 I think well above the rod. Degenerated disc below the rod now? Probably.

Comment

Working...
              X