Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is SpineCor not an accepted means of treatment among Orthopedists' in the USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for your good advice. I will definitely try some of those ointments. I really think they should make a bodysuit that covers the thigh area so that the thigh bands are not directly on the skin. Or they should make little shorts that have snaps in the crotch area.
    I believe Dr. Deutchman said they were tossing around a few ideas to improve upon the bodysuit or short idea.
    I can't wait until sat when the weather is warm so that I can hang up her brace to dry in the sun. That will be the best thing.
    Gerbo, you made a lot of good points.
    Melissa
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Originally posted by MATJESNIC
      Did you say that you live in Canada? How far do you travel to see Dr. Rivard?
      Change of subject -- I don't think Nicole's thigh bands have been completely dry when she has put her brace back on and now she has a bright red area on both thighs where the straps go. It is burning her. Is vaseline the best thing for that or does anyone know of something better. Melissa
      Melissa,

Yes, I'm from Central Canada. We travel by train 10 hours to see Dr. Rivard. The local hospital doesn't carry the brace even though our local ortho believes in the Spinecor brace To top it off, he's the division head so one would think he would have the official capacity to bring it in This is sooooo bizarre to me.

What I do for red chafing is just put a bandaid on it, after a day the chafing is gone.

Gerbo,

REALLY excellent points, I couldn't agree with you more !
      Last edited by Celia; 03-10-2006, 08:28 PM.

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

they were tossing around a few ideas to improve upon the bodysuit or short idea.
        what is fashionable currently here in the uk are underpants with ever so slightly extended legs, they prevent rubbing against the skin till some extend

Comment

Originally posted by Celia Vogel
          Dr. Alman believes in the Spinecor brace
          does he believe in it now (rather than just going along with it?)

Comment

SpineCor in California, Studio City

My son's SpineCor doctor is the one you mentioned you were not able to find. His name is Ronald Marinaro, he is in Studio City, the phone number is (818) 505-0816. He is very nice and seems to know what he is doing. If you need more info about him, you can contact me.

Comment

Nicole loves her Spinecor bodysuits. If they can just have them come down longer on the thighs, it would solve the problem of the chafing. I will also be very careful from now on to be sure the bands are completely dry.
              Thanks everyone.
              Melissa
              Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Washing & Drying the Spinecor brace

I've been able to wash the bottom half of my daughter's brace by zipping it in a lingerie bag and washing with the load in cold water. The bolero and elastic straps also get washed with a regular load of clothes. I use the Quick Load cycle so its 22 minutes instead of 45 in the washer. I dry them both (bottom half still in the lingerie bag) in my dryer on extra low. So far there has been no problem., except for the paper number stickers coming off the pastic portion. But my daughter knows where it snaps and we just wrote on it with a marker.

If I just lay the bottom half flat to dry it takes forever and the timing when my daughter is not wearing it is difficult. I don't want her to have more excuses for less time in the brace.

Comment

we are putting both parts in their own knotted pillowcase, washing them at 30 degree on the "delicates setting".

(didn't think it was of much interest, but just fancied being "one of the girls", exchanging some domestic essentials)

Comment

well i have found that wearing a pair of cheer shorts rolled maybe twice with a tank top under my brace works just as well as the bodysuits, maybe even better. because the snaps on the bodysuits would just frustrate me so much and now i dont have to deal with them.

and about the bottom part of the brace: Dr. Oulette, my chiro and person who does the brace, is now designing a new bottom piece so we wont have to deal with the thigh and crotch straps and you wouldnt have any extra snaps. he's supposed to have it ready to try in the next couple of weeks. he's having some older people try it because he said in case it doesnt work it wont effect their scoliosis
                    Diagnosed @ age 14 (now 15)

i HAVE A LOVELY SPINECOR BRACE

CUrVES* 14&&17 as of 4.22.06 (out of brace)

ATLANTA, GEORGiA

Comment

Urgh..I'm going to break my promise and post this one time...
                      I'd think it's safe enough since I'm not talking about chiropractic this time...
                      So those who are chiro haters..I'm just trying to contribute...so let's not start up arguments...

I am flying out to chicago next week to get some training done for spinecor and I think I could share some perspective on why it's not catching up like wild fire in the states...

#1: Historically, US has always been reluctant and slow in adopting to technologies developed from foreign soil...I myself tend to have less trust for foreign studies for some reason even though I am aware that they have peer review system just like we do...maybe i'm used to the idea that corruption is more likely else where lol...

#2: Yes. The accreditation process isn't quite easy...not to mention the initial cost involved for the providers. And to put up that kind of resource for a technology that hasn't been accepted by the med community at large is quite a daunting task.

#3: It's a totally new concept..a lot of docs will need paradigm shift and it's often challenging for many if not impossible

another reason is the existing competing technology. There are always forces that will resist the changes for whatever reasons of their own...below quote from Max Planck has put it quite nicely..

An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by gradually
                      winning over and converting its opponents: it rarely happens that Saul
                      becomes Paul. What does happen is that its opponents gradually die
                      out, and that the growing generation is familiarised with the ideas
                      from the beginning.

Max Planck (the founder of Quantum Physics)

that's just human nature at work.

BTW, those in southwest, Dr. Ron's contact info is listed on spinecor web site. I didn't have problem contacting him. I think there are couple more sites opening in CA. In next year or two there should be big increase in numbers in my opinion.

OK..i'm going back to lurking mode..please put down your chiro-guard...
                      An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by gradually winning over and converting its opponents: it rarely happens that Saul becomes Paul. What does happen is that its opponents gradually die out, and that the growing generation is familiarised with the ideas from the beginning.

Max Planck (the founder of Quantum Physics)

Comment

Sportsdoc,
                        I appreciate your input. I obviously am not a hater of chiros since my daughter goes to one and her Spinecor Doc is one. I have always had an open mind towards chiros because I have some family members who have had good experiences with them. My family is very conservative and would certainly try to avoid surgery whenever possible. It must be very difficult to be in a field such as yours, when so many people have such anger toward it. I, myself, am fortunate because I work with young children with autism and other developmental delays. Who could find fault with that?
                        Anyway, good luck to you as you become more involved with Spinecor. Just wanted you to know that you have some "friends" on this site, as well.
                        Take care,
                        Melissa
                        Melissa

Comment

Lauren,
                          That sounds great that your doctor is trying to improve upon the brace. I'm sure Dr. Deutchman will fill us in when we go in April. Thanks for your input.
                          Melissa
                          Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by gerbo
                            does he believe in it now (rather than just going along with it?)
                            Prior to my getting the brace, he said that the Spinecor was "not much better than other braces". I took this to mean he thinks it IS better than other braces but not by much He didn't say "it's NO better than other braces". He also seemed a little more animated when I mentioned the spinecor brace.... I'm very good at reading facial expressions so I don't think I'm imagining this I knew by his reaction, that I could trust my instincts on the Spinecor.
                            Last edited by Celia; 03-10-2006, 08:27 PM.

Canadian eh
                            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Originally posted by cloggerx3
                              Dr. Oulette, my chiro and person who does the brace, is now designing a new bottom piece so we wont have to deal with the thigh and crotch straps and you wouldnt have any extra snaps. he's supposed to have it ready to try in the next couple of weeks. he's having some older people try it because he said in case it doesnt work it wont effect their scoliosis
                              I wonder if this is the "new" design I'd rather stick with the "old" design, knowing that it's effective and works. I don't feel comfortable being the test case.

Canadian eh

Comment

Spinecor in TX

Hi. We are going to go with Spinecor next week. We are going to New York for our initial fitting, and month check, but are doing our 3 month follow ups in Sugarland, TX. In case you aren't familiar with where it is, it is outside of Houston. (a suburb) It's closest to Houston Hobby airport. I have called and talked with the office and both Dr. Gary Smouse and Dr. Stephanie Smouse. They are happy to talk to you and answer any questions you may have. They endorse Spinecor. We are closer to Houston so Dr. Deutchman in NY so he told us of the TX location. Since I had already had so much contact with NY and had the appointment and ball rolling for insurance, we just stayed with our initial in NY. Both offices are very helpful. I'd call theTX office anytime. They were very helpful in answering all my questions and calling me back to answer any questions quickly if both the doctors were busy, and the office knew it was a question the doctors needed to attend to. Dr. Gary Smouse has a personal interest in Scoliosis as his daughter has it. That is what got him so involved in treatment. Best wishes.
                                Shirley
                                Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Working...
                                X