Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for best cars and chairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for best cars and chairs?

Does anyone out there have recommendations for cars and/or chairs that can help with back pain? I was diagnosed with a 34 degree double curve (S-shape) at 34 years of age after having experienced off and on low back pain for about 6 years and finally getting tired enough of it to have it checked out.

I've noticed over the years that I can no longer tolerate certain types of chairs and seating; at first, I simply chalked it up to aging, but I can no longer do so because I now know where the pain was originating from (most likely).

Any experiences out there? I can tell for a fact that I've had trouble with most GM vehicles in the recent past, especially Pontiac Sunbird/Sunfire and Saturn. I have a Toyota now (with a lumbar support), but sometimes it really helps and sometimes it seems to hurt more than it helps, and I couldn't quite figure out why... until now, that is.
    28 degrees cervicothoracic, 34 degrees thoracolumbar, not diagnosed until age 34. Get yourself and your children screened early!

best cars & chairs

Hello Professor,
    I also have a real rough time with finding comfortable cars and chairs to sit in. Actually,I have a rough time being comfortable when sitting anywhere but what I have bought for myself to aide me somewhat is a lumbar pillow and I always use it when driving and sitting anywhere. I never go without it and find it very helpful. I found mine in a avon booklet and it is very good. You might can try this and hope it will help you.

Regards,
    Regina

Comment

comfortable chairs and cars???

Before my revision surgery I just about found it impossible to sit in any but the most padded back chairs. In the car, since my torso was so shortened by my triple curves, I used assorted pillows to sit on for the correct height with a soft small pillow in my concave area. Other little pillows were placed in strategic spots-like under my right arm which kept banging on the console.

After revision and thoracoplasty my hump is greatly reduced and I am taller. Since most car seats in sedans are so low I still need to sit higher. I bought a wheelchair seat cushion which is actually great and not expensive. Just the right height for me.
      I use a small pillow in my lumbar area.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I have found that seat heaters area great releif. I have a portable on that plugs into the DC outlet of vehicles without built in heaters.

Comment

Hello Professor,

I have a 960 Volvo and the seats fit me well. I do however have to use a plastic bag on the seats to slide in and out of the car with ease because the seats are mohair. I also have a Toyota Highlander with leather seats...those seats are absolutely the best! The automatic controls allow you to position the seat and lumbar support anywhere you want it! It sits great and rides so smooth.

I have a La Z Boy lift chair. It has been a God send! To this day...3 yrs. post-op, it is still my favorite chair. In my opinion, it is so much more than a lift chair...there has to be a lot of technology behind it. I can be in pain and instead of taking pain meds I can get in this chair and get out of pain. The chair just fits and positions my body perfectly.

Kindest Regards,
          Gail

Comment

Hi, Right before I had my surgery, I bought a brand new Nissan Quest (with cloth seats, not leather). It has a power drivers seat adjustment, which adjusts in a million different ways and power side and back doors. The power doors are a huge blessing! It drives like a luxery car and it is high enogh that it is easy to get in and out of. I definately do not suggest a low sedan type car! My husband has a Honda sedan and I hate getting in and out! Too low!!! Very uncomfortable. So two things I would look for are heighth and power doors and seats! Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by CaliGirl
              My husband has a Honda sedan and I hate getting in and out! Too low!!! Very uncomfortable. So two things I would look for are heighth and power doors and seats! Good Luck!
              I'd agree with you on the ground clearance. My wife won't drive anything BUT a small car, but I have had to veto several in the past that I've had trouble crawling in and out of.

I currently have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma pickup with Prerunner (4x4) suspension. It sits at exactly the right height for my butt. My wife's Corolla, however, while tolerable, can drive me nuts when my lumbar curve is acting up. I've refused to ride in it when my back is hurting.
              28 degrees cervicothoracic, 34 degrees thoracolumbar, not diagnosed until age 34. Get yourself and your children screened early!

Comment

Portable seat cushions?

Anyone tried any of the orthopedic seat cushions out there? I'm thinking about trying one of the "sacro-ease" type cushions that are wedge-shaped and have the cutout in the back to ease pressure directly on the sacrum and spinal column. The wedge shape is supposed to tilt the pelvis forward for a more natural position.

Anyone tried these types of cushions? Any feedback?

Comment

Cars and chairs

Before surgery, I owned a very low and small sportscar and had no pain whatsoever to get in or drive, but since the surgeries it's impossible for me to drive and had to sell it Right now, we own a Honda Accord and it's still too low since I had revision surgery three months ago, and I find that I'm more comfortable in Sedans or four doors, so I will buy that instead. I use a pillow for now for lumbar support, but before this last surgery I didn't need it so we'll see when I'm less stiff from surgery after more time. But like everyone said, pillows help for the lower back.

As far as chairs, I finally decided to get a good, not too firm or soft office chair. It's a GOD SEND, instead of those couches or hard chairs with no arm support. My lower back was killing me when I sat on those, as well as my sciatica. Again I put a pillow for support, and use it for everything, wether I'm online or watching TV, etc.
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I feel that the right car seat is sometimes dependent on how tall you are. For me, at 6'3" I prefer suv's because the seats are usually larger and they are positioned high enough to allow you legs to be more parallel with the floor which for me takes pressure off my back. I also try to find seats with the longest seat cushion as they offer more support for my thighs which again takes pressure off your back. As mentioned above, seat warmers and power adjustable lumbar support and power seat adjistments are mandatory. Whenever I rent a car a demand a car with power seats...these alone offer great comfort.

Comment

Recommendations for best cars and chairs

This string caught my attention immediately. I am new to the forum. I drove a GM van for several years with progressive pain and problems getting in/out of the vehicle due to the height and also uncomfortable position of legs while driving. I purchased a 1996 Volvo 850 stationwagon in October '05 and have been very pleased with the comfort of the seats (leather) and the multiple adjustments and heater in the seat. Also, the seat is low enough to allow my legs to be more lateral, much like a sports car and I find this much more comfortable to my back.

I am still looking for a comfortable chair for work and home. I sit most of the work day at the computer. I have what is termed an "ergonomic" office chair but it is very uncomfortable. Any suggestions are appreciated. I have been thinking of the wedged cushion with the cutout as mentioned and think I will go ahead and try one.

Comment

Originally posted by windwalker7
                        I have been thinking of the wedged cushion with the cutout as mentioned and think I will go ahead and try one.
                        I just bought one of those myself. The jury is still out, as I haven't had enough time to sit and evaluate the "before vs. after" levels of back pain.

I'll agree with your statement about the van-- I've had similar experiences with most GM products. I think the problem is possibly thigh support. Seats that have a longer depth (more thigh support) shift some of the weight of the upper body to the upper legs, away from the low back, and make it a little more tolerable. This also helps explain why I can't tolerate most small cars, regardless of who makes them. Higher seatbacks (shoulder level, preferably) seem to help as well.

I agree with you on the "ergonomic" chairs. They're designed for people without back problems, and trying to force the spine into a "normal" position doesn't go over well with my back, since my curves seem to be fairly inflexible.

Extra padding seems to help, too, but that seems to be pretty universal.

Comment

Office chair

Mine is suede, and ligthly padded. I use a pillow with it, and that's for my lumbar support wich is what I need, but it can depend on the person and their type of pain. I'm really in love with this chair, and it's nice looking as well. Bought two, one dark blue and one brown. I bought it at "Bureau en gros", wich is a furniture shop for office supplies here in Canada, but I don't know what would be similar in the US.
                          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I drive an '04 VW Jetta, and is very difficult for me to get in and out of post surgery. I hit my head on the door frame, and the seats have a lip on them that make scooting very hard. My husband has a brand new Impala (Chevy?) that he has as a company car. I MUCH prefer getting in and out of his car. There is so much more room to get in and out, the doors aren't heavy, and the seat is comfy and not too low. For a sedan it works really well. (Prior to getting the new Impala, he had a Suburu Outback station wagon. That was the most uncomfortable car EVER, both pre and post surgery.

As for chairs - I just use pillows and folded towels to imrovise my very own ergonomic chair.
                            Meg is Spinewhine
                            31 years old with thoracic curve
                            Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
                            Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
                            http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X