No announcement yet.

Chiropratic Hope!! Had to Share!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

19 patients at 3 clinics is not very many. Braces have been used for years and hundreds of people have benefited from them. If this were an ongoing study for many years I might take it into more consideration, but only treating 19 patients and calling it fact is a bit concerning for me. What were the selection criteria. They say it was random, but where did the patients come from. What was the ratio of male to female, were they from all over the country or just from one region. I think the study might have been a bit biased.
    I do think that some alternative treatments have potential to work in scoliosis cases, but am unsure who or what will work for it. I have yet to see any hard evidence that one method works.

Comment

alternatives

We all have to keep in mind that when visiting these Orthopedic Dr's that they are "surgeons" thats what they do..... Unless we continue to look at other alternatives and find other ways to help our bodies, the "surgeons" will not tell us any differently.. they might not even know of anything different. smile...
      just a thought.
      Kristy

Comment

Furthermore the supposed Malaysian "study" referenced is from 2001. As I have pointed out before that might as well be 30 years old in scoliosis research time. Additionally, Drs Woggon, Morningstar and Lawrence have all continued to grow and refine since this study which is already almost 2 years old. I know Dr. W learned new things just last week from me as certain muscle weaknesses of mine go against normal protocol! Ugh, how frustrating it must be.

My hats off to these gentlemen (and ladies) who continue this admirable work in the face of scrutiny, narrow minds, and those just not willing to let go of traditional beliefs. Again, we make so many strides in science and healthcare in the US (and the world in general)...why would we refuse to believe we can take this all the way to the top? That our children, and our children's children MAY never have to face scoliosis ever again? That it may be a foreign word to them? If you place money aside, I cannot see why even the best spinal surgeons would not support this hope. To never have to cut open a child for scoliosis is a blessing, not a curse. It may not be here 100% just yet, but people need to believe and support. I know every parent on here, if someone guaranteed their child's health non-surgically would jump at the opportunity. No one ever "wants" to have surgery. It is just that is all that has been available for so long we are kind of resigned to believing that is all we can ever expect. I pray the day will come when that changes. Step by step we are getting there. I know b/c I've experienced it firsthand.

For me the proof is already in my own spine. Have a wonderful Monday all!
        Katie- age 28
        Ironman Triathlete in Training
        Love the outdoors, my family, rescue dogs, and this wonderful challenge of scoliosis which has shaped who I am today
        Diagnosed with scoliosis at 12 Braced '92-'94
        Curves before chiropactic care: 47 thoracic, 45 lumbar, no cervical curve, lots of pain
        With chiro so far reduced to 32 thoracic, 31 lumbar a beautiful cervical curve, 175% inc lung capacity, 401% inc range of motion, 1/2 in taller balanced legs pain free and only getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by KristyK
          We all have to keep in mind that when visiting these Orthopedic Dr's that they are "surgeons" thats what they do..... Unless we continue to look at other alternatives and find other ways to help our bodies, the "surgeons" will not tell us any differently.. they might not even know of anything different. smile...
          just a thought.
          Kristy
          I could not agree more Kristy.

Mandy- This study is almost 2 years old. Only 19 people we used for the initial study, because they had to start somewhere. Rest assured when Paul Harrington did his first rod surgery it wasn't on 1,000 people. He started small. Did a study. Measured results. Then chose to continue. Since this study these docs have seen many many more patients including myself. Thanks!!
          Katie- age 28
          Love the outdoors, my family, rescue dogs, and this wonderful challenge of scoliosis which has shaped who I am today
          Curves before chiropactic care: 47 thoracic, 45 lumbar, no cervical curve, lots of pain
          With chiro so far reduced to 32 thoracic, 31 lumbar a beautiful cervical curve, 175% inc lung capacity, 401% inc range of motion, 1/2 in taller balanced legs pain free and only getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by Celia Vogel
            Let's see...... I graduated from University and decided I'd rather stay home and raise my kids. I didn't like the idea of someone else doing it for me. I exercise everyday, jog etc. I have to say, things are a lot better now than they were three years ago. I've grown in so many ways and I don't think I'll ever be the same person I was before this scoliosis journey started. I really believe there is power in numbers and by sharing ideas we can get closer to the "truth". Believe it or not.... I can't think of ONE crazy scoliosis story
            I run too! Isn't it the best! I hope to have children soon and feel the same as you...they will be raised by me...that is how my mom did it and she has had such an impact on my life.
            Katie- age 28

Comment

Denverbackchic,

I wish you success and continued happiness Hey....whatever makes you happy, right ???? Personally, I think the study is bogus. I don't consider myself to be a pro surgery person but when it's necessary it's necessary. There are many non surgical avenues you can try....yoga, Schroth, etc. It's delusional to even think that scoliosis can be corrected after a few weeks !!! I would also be concerned about the amount of radiation to your neck (thyroid) that you're subjecting yourself to. It really IS stories like this one (and the one about eye exercises correcting scoliosis) that makes me run far FAR away from chiropractors and gives them ALL a BAD name.

Canadian eh
              Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Katie,
                Congratulations on your success with Dr. Woggin and the Clear Institute. If my daughter were older and more committed to treating her scoliosis, I would definitely take her there. She is 15 and in the denial mode. Her last x-rays were scary and I think she is beginning to see the light. We are currently using the SpineCor brace and chiropractic. The doctor we have is very caring and has been treating scoliosis for 15 years and uses some of the same techniques as Dr.Woggin.

Personally, I will try every non-surgical option that is not detrimental before letting my daughter have surgery (which she doesn't want). If she has to at some point, we will go to Shriners as others on this forum have said it has the best doctors in the country.

Some people on this forum must have had bad experiences with chiropractors because they bash them at every turn. There are incompentent and unethical chiroporactors just in things for the money, claiming to "cure" scoliosis and people should run away from them. But there are also incompetent and closed-minded orthopedics that won't ever consider anything except surgery because that's the business they're in. We each just have to judge what is best for our own child and encourage others.

Thanks for pointing out the method that worked for you. I wish there was something that would work for everyone with scoliosis, hopefully future research will bring a cure to light.

Comment

LATinger,

I don't have ANY personal experience with chiropractors ! I think the content of this thread is enough to scare ANYONE away from chiropractors once and for all !

Canadian eh
                  Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Chiropractic study of scoliosis treatment

I'm not "dissing" chiropractors, I'm just being skeptical, as it is in my nature. As with any study, there are definitely flaws, as well as good aspects to the work. It did pass the peer review, apparently, but as people here have brought up, there are a number of flaws with the study.

As the study of chiropractic for the treatment of scoliosis is in its infancy, I'd like to see a thorough, long-term study of these patients, and of many more, in a double-blind study to see if there's actually something here worth pursuing.

I myself have been to a chiropractor twice now. I don't know if it's done anything to the scoliosis (probably not, as the chiropractor admitted to me that he can't cure it or treat it very much), but I can attest to the fact that my back pain has subsided, so it can't be all bad.
                    28 degrees cervicothoracic, 34 degrees thoracolumbar, not diagnosed until age 34. Get yourself and your children screened early!

Comment

LATinger,

I don't have ANY personal experience with chiropractors ! I think the content of this thread is enough to scare ANYONE away from chiropractors once and for all !
                      Celia I am confused? How does this thread scare you? I have had a tremendously positive experience with chiros. As I mentioned in my first post on this thread it is a NON-SURGICAL thread. If you are scared on non-surgical remedies, then don't post here.
                      Katie- age 28

Comment

Originally posted by LATigner
                        Katie,
                        Congratulations on your success with Dr. Woggin and the Clear Institute. If my daughter were older and more committed to treating her scoliosis, I would definitely take her there. She is 15 and in the denial mode. Her last x-rays were scary and I think she is beginning to see the light. We are currently using the SpineCor brace and chiropractic. The doctor we have is very caring and has been treating scoliosis for 15 years and uses some of the same techniques as Dr.Woggin.

Personally, I will try every non-surgical option that is not detrimental before letting my daughter have surgery (which she doesn't want). If she has to at some point, we will go to Shriners as others on this forum have said it has the best doctors in the country.

Some people on this forum must have had bad experiences with chiropractors because they bash them at every turn. There are incompentent and unethical chiroporactors just in things for the money, claiming to "cure" scoliosis and people should run away from them. But there are also incompetent and closed-minded orthopedics that won't ever consider anything except surgery because that's the business they're in. We each just have to judge what is best for our own child and encourage others.

Thanks for pointing out the method that worked for you. I wish there was something that would work for everyone with scoliosis, hopefully future research will bring a cure to light.

Thank you SOOO much! It HAS WORKED FOR ME! I REPEAT IT HAS WORKED FOR ME! I fail to understand the ignorance that cannot read my numbers and see that my spine is getting better non-surgically. I hate to say it, but that is why I firmly believe there are surgeons on here saying that just to save a buck. Why else would someone choose to read my post, see my results, and then still say that chiro doesn't work? It may be new, it may be experimental, but it is working for me, and I couldn;t care what people think b/c I am the one with the success. Oh well. It cracks me up. They can leave their jaws on the floor when I post my 6 mon xray. How people cannot be happy for someone like me amazes me...but then again...I could care less! I post so that people suffering through this never stop looking. And people do read this, and maybe it will stir some thoughts and healthy conversation.

As for your 15 year old I was the same way! I was in denial. I wore a brace 23 hrs a day for 2 years, and cried, and fought and was teased at school. But it did hold my curve so that it did not get worse and I am so thankful to the Shriner's for that. There is actually a lady on here named Maria that is writing cool stories about Shriner's kids...way cool. Lots of very moving stories. Tough to see now but it will make your child stronger! I will keep you in my thoughts. When she is ready the treatment that is appropriate, whatever it may be, will present itself. But I agree with you...nothing works unless they are compliant. I went through that too.
                        Katie- age 28

Comment

Originally posted by The Professor
                          I'm not "dissing" chiropractors, I'm just being skeptical, as it is in my nature. As with any study, there are definitely flaws, as well as good aspects to the work. It did pass the peer review, apparently, but as people here have brought up, there are a number of flaws with the study.

As the study of chiropractic for the treatment of scoliosis is in its infancy, I'd like to see a thorough, long-term study of these patients, and of many more, in a double-blind study to see if there's actually something here worth pursuing.

I myself have been to a chiropractor twice now. I don't know if it's done anything to the scoliosis (probably not, as the chiropractor admitted to me that he can't cure it or treat it very much), but I can attest to the fact that my back pain has subsided, so it can't be all bad.
                          Professor- Excellent post regarding this study. YES! That is what I have said...it is not perfect, but just enough of "the good stuff" to not toss it down the drain. That is why in the nearly 2 years since this study it has been refined further and is actually about to be incorporated into the core curriculum at Parker College of Chiropratic in Dallas to be studied further! Every new cure, treatment, drug, surgery, adjustment has to start somewhere. I feel this is for sure "somewhere." I have already got results myself. I just wish I could put people in my body for 1 day. I have never felt this good, and my 11 degree improvement is sooo noticeable. I am so excited about where it will go from here!!! The future is all sunshine for this gal.
                          Katie- age 28

Comment

LATinger,

I don't have ANY personal experience with chiropractors ! !

Then don't have an opinion on this. You can't diss what you have not tried.
                            Katie- age 28

Comment

Denverbackchic,

You STILL don't see how this thread gives chiropractors a bad name You are living in some kind of La La Land if you think you can correct adult structural scoliosis in a few weeks non surgically !!! I'm all for non surgical approaches, but this one is BEYOND ridiculous. I have to concede that there are vulnerable people out there that are desperate for a "cure" but please know that you are setting yourself up for an ENORMOUS let down. As far as I'm concerned, those quacks at the Clear Institute should be put in jail !

Canadian eh

Comment

another story...

So it is not just my story, and since I created this thread and wish to get back to the positives of my chiro experience here is a post from another scoliosis support site from another of Dr. Woggon's patients!
                                She started at 30 degrees and it scoli FREE 3 years later. How cool is that? She posts on www.scoliosis-support.com that is how I met her.

I was diagnosed with it, when I was 15. I have done everything for it from a brace to
                                physical therapy to chiropractic to the copes brace. My spine will never be straight but
                                most peoples are not, I still have a slight curve, but it is not
                                considered scoliosis anymore its about 5 degrees in thoracic and
                                0 in the lumbar. The only thing I did avoid was surgery
                                as after extensive research, I found it to have a low success rate,
                                and it does not fix the problem. I finally found an easy way to
                                cure it; well it’s not easy just it seems like common sense. I am
                                now a case study, and I am going into researching and specializing in
                                scoliosis after I finish Chiropractic school. I could probably talk
                                on for hours as I have been through it all. Having to live with scoliosis
                                for some time, it was not a fun battle. I was to a point, where
                                I could not walk for a year it was so bad. I was on every pain med and
                                muscle relaxer out there, and life sucked. The brace I think helped
                                it not get worse than it did, but that was just to much to have to deal with
                                My mom finally met a great Chiropractor one day who was young and female
                                she hired me on as a CA and one day we were at a seminar. A dr came up to me
                                and told me he could tell i was in pain and what was wrong and told me he knew
                                someone that could help me. At that point I didn’t believe but I had nothing to lose,
                                I refused to get a rod fused to my back. So we made arrangements and flew to Washington state
                                to goto Dr. Pettitbon’s spinal mechanics summer workshop. Little did I know this week
                                would change my life forever. It was the most painful week ever. Emotions running high
                                and I was being adjusted, exercised and worked on all day for 7 days. I was in pain
                                but I could see and feel it begin to work. It is all documented in the mentioned case studies below.
                                I have been lightly following his program for about 3 years and I am pain and scoliosis free still
                                to this day. I even model now from time to time and have done runway shows, Dr Dennis is an AMAZING person
                                and I thank god everyday for allowing me to cross paths with him. As you will see in the case study I was
                                pretty bad and its amazing how just in one week I went my curve lost 7 degrees with his program. After
                                about 6 months of heavy work it all paid off!! I am going back to see him and his crew soon to show them
                                how awesome I feel and look. I hope by sharing my story I can help other people who have shared my pain and
                                frustration. I am now going research and continue to find a cure for scoliosis.
                                Also, going the non surgery route is not an overnight fix, but it is a lifelong fix,
                                where as surgery is not. Please follow the links below to see that I am living proof there is a way to
                                battle scoliosis.

1. http://www.drwoggon.com this is the most amazing Dr in the world

who specializes in Spinal Mechanics and probably the world top on

scoliosis he is whom I am going to see in Dallas. This is his

personal website

2. http://www.clear-institute.com This is Dr. Woggon’s website, but

for his institute that teaches and researchers on scoliosis. Under

this part, Click the link to download this class, you will find me

and my case study along with others and some really helpful

information PLEASE LOOK AT THIS IF NOT ANYTHING ELSE!! It’s long but

will tell you more than you ever wanted to know not just from a

chiropractic bias either. The link is under the news section.

“NEWS: New Scoliosis Class Download available. Click here to

download.” I am on slides 197-230.

Leah Age 23 no longer living with scoliosis and wanting to fix the world!!
                                Katie- age 28

Comment

Working...
                                X