Chiropratic Hope!! Had to Share!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sherie,
    That's so great to hear! How old is your daughter? Are her curves mild, moderate, or severe? I live in Pennsylvania, which isn't close to Dr. Woggon at all. So, I do the year commitment program with another chiropractor in my area. Dr. Woggon trained a whole bunch of chiropractors all over the country on his method. Is your daughter's chiropractor similiar with the clear institute? Anyway, I was lucky enough to choose from three chiropractors in my city. Mine is about 45 minutes to an hour away. For the year commitment, I have to go three times a week for 8 weeks, then two times a week for 8 weeks, and then one time a week for another 8 weeks. After that, if all goes as planned, I should only be seeing him once a month. I started in June. I'm on my first set of 8 weeks now, so I'm still seeing him three times a week. We're going to take x-rays next week to see how everything is working. . The whole "3 times a week" "2 times a week" etc. isn't the common standard. I think Woggon figures it out according to the first x-rays. In my case, 8 weeks is the time period that was decided. Anyway! Let's talk about exercises! Haha. It's pretty intense! Once I get to the chiropractor I walk around with a 4 lb. head weight on my head as well as a hip weight on my right hip. I also walk around with glasses that have the left eye covered with a patch. The whole covering of the eye-glass has to do with re-training of the muscles to work in the back. I am left-eye dominant and somehow that has something to do with my scoliosis. After that, I do 15 minutes on a wobble chair. Woggon will figure out what exercises are right for your daughter. I do three of them. In my case, they help the lumbar region loosen up and realign. I'm guessing this is what you mean by the scoli chair? Or maybe it's something else that I'll get to later...but just so you know, I didn't have to buy anything. That was a major concern for me and my family. After buying this whole muscle stim set with the COPES Program and having it not work, we were not ready to buy anything! Haha. But maybe you'll have to buy it since you're doing the week program? Anyway, after the wobble chair, the therapists do a muscle stim on my back. It's probably unlike anything you've ever seen. It's pretty cool, it looks like a power tool? Haha. They do the muscle stim on the side opposite of the curve. It makes sense because they're trying to make the weaker muscles work properly and hold the spine in proper position. It might look like it hurts but honestly, it feels so good. (In fact, my chiropractor told me that if he performed the same adjustments and exercises on people that didn't have scoliosis, it would feel extremely weird and painful.) After the muscle stim, I do a neck muscle stim with a 10 lb head weight pulling my head back for 15 minutes. It 's hard to explain but I'm laying flat on my back and the headweight is attached like a harness. THENNN, I do a lower pelvic stim. We had to add that because my lower curve wasn't progressing as well as my cervical curve. Then he adjusts me. The adjustments are grrrreaaaat. I think they're the best part. You really feel things moving, it's awesome. I'm pretty sure Dr. Woggon will do a certain adjustment on your daughter. I think all of the patients go through it. It looks scary but it's really not. It involves a harness-type thing that goes around your head. Haha, also hard to explain. It's on his website if you want to see it. I forget which number it is but it's in his slideshow. Then, after that, I do a neck stretch for 15 minutes. Finalllyyyyy, I stand on a vibrating machine with the same head/hip weights and glasses for 20 minutes while I throw around a little bag which weighs 2 lbs. It loosens up the curves with vibration. (Vibration is really important in this whole program.) During the first few weeks I sat on a chair that pulled me in opposite directions while vibrating and lifting my head. This might be the scoli chair that you're talking about but I'm not sure. I'll be using that sometime in the future, it all depends on my x-rays after the initial 8 weeks.
    So I usually spend about 2 hours in the chiropractors office. Even after all of this I have some home exercises to do.
    I have to walk with the head/hip weights and glasses for 20 minutes twice a day. Then I have to do a traction exercise with the hip weight for 20 minutes. It's really easy to set up, it just goes over a door. Then I do a spinal molding for 20 minutes twice a day. All that entails is laying on the floor with wedges placed in a certain position under my back. Very relaxing. Haha. Then I just do isometric exercises for my neck whenever I can. They're really easy and take just seconds to do.
    It might seem like a lot. At first, I thought it would be impossible, especially with school and everything! Even though I started in the summer, I was taking summer classes, and I'll still be doing this during the school year. Even so, I'm so glad I started this. It definetley opened me up to time management skills. Haha. As long as you REALLY keep yourself on a strict schedule and really manage your time, it will be fine. I'm guessing your daughter will have to do the exercises a lot after the week ends?
    And yes! I'm so glad you have a great chiropractor as well! I had a similiar experience with orthopedic surgeons. I don't know if it was just the surgeons in my area..but they were all very cold and dismissive as well! I think I was about 11 when a doctor in Children's Hospital told me I would have to get the surgery or else I would die in my 20s..haha, that's not exactly the greatest way to say things. But oh well. Actually, there's a surgery center not too far from my chiropractic center, and they actually give their patients the option of trying the clear-institute program before deciding to go ahead with the surgery. I guess all surgeons aren't as close-minded as I thought.
    I wish you guys the best of luck!!! It's pretty amazing. I bet she'll be sore! Haha, it's actually a good sign if she's really sore. It means things are moving! AND, you have every right to be skeptical! But Dr. Woggon is a PRO at this. After all, it's his method. He'll know exactly how to treat your daughter and what's best for her. Keep us updated!

Comment

I am so glad you are so positive curvey cakes, I just really hope that you are not going to regret this in the long run.
      Scoliosis and chiropractors really worry me as I have been to the best and they literally and always have told me there is no way they would touch my back and there is no way they would have done, ever.
      I believe in alternative therapy thats for sure, but mainly I guess I would like to see in about 5 years how things are going with you then, and are the results still at the stage that he has told you he hopes to get you to.
      In the mean time go for it and even though I am so very skeptical, that is only my opinion, I really and truly hope that it does work for you.
      Please dont jump up and down and growl at me, as I give you all the accolades around for your wonderful outlook.

Macky
      Last edited by macky; 08-17-2006, 01:04 AM.
      Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
      Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Curvycakes,
        Thanks for the detailed reply. The scoli chair is exactly the one with the head in traction on the vibe platform, Dr. Woggon said it is absolutely necessary for larger curves (I think anything >40). My daughter's lumbar curve is 52 and thoracic around 33. There is a dr. about 1 1/2 hours from us who is trained, but Dr. Woggon is going to write up a detailed report so our chiro can follow the protocol (he is willing to try anything to help her). She is also wearing the Spinecor brace that I'm hoping will retain any correction we can get. She is currently getting Pneumex therapy which is targeted exercise for the back muscles. She was sore from that the first week but is used to it now. My daughter is 14 (today's her bday) so I hope she doesn't get burned out from all this treatment but I feel there is a window of opportunity at her age to get more correction because she is still flexible. I'm going to try, it may not work in the long run but she will probably face surgery sometime in the future anyway so why not give it a shot? Can't wait to hear how your xrays go, please let me know.
        Sherie

Comment

I love replies. =)

Macky!! You're so nice. Haha. Yeah I really hope I don't regret this either. I wish I could have jumped 5 years ahead to see what I would be like before making this huge decision. Haha, unfortunately, that is not possible. But heyy! Lots of important things in life require taking risks. Actually,people with scoliosis have to take tons of risks. Surgery? Waiting? Chiropractic? Braces? Not only is it costly, but no matter how you look at it, there's not a 100% guarantee in any of the choices. That's pretty interesting to think about. And of course I won't growl at you. Haha. Hey, your opinion is definetley valid! Just as I wouldn't expect someone who believes in other things (like surgery and what not) to growl at me, I won't put others down. Everyone is entitiled to their own opinions.
          Sherie! First of all, happy birthday to your daughter! After I posted that reply I was like "Eeeek..that's really long. " but I'm glad it was well received. What is Pneumex therapy? What does she do? And yes, I guess it is better to start using this treatment early. I just saw my chiro today and WOWWW. The adjustments are getting better and better. I can feel things moving a lot more than I could in the beginning. It felt amaaaazing though. I felt a lot straighter, actually. And we did a mini-eval today. In the beginning of the treatments, he had me close my eyes and turn my head to the right and left, and then he told me to just keep my head straight. Well, when I opened my eyes, my head was veered off to the left. Today though, it was an inch and a half more towards the center. Woo! He was really happy about that, as was I !
          Anyway, I'll definetley let you know about the x-rays. I think I'll know in about 2 weeks?
          I didn't proofread this. Sorry if there are any mistakes!

Comment

Curvey-cakes you crack me up in such a nice way.

I am really finding this all very interesting and would dearly love you to keep posting to let me know how things are progressing. Like when you get your next lot of X-rays etc.
            You are so very right when you say there are risks in everything, and wouldnt it be absolutely fantastic if it all worked. No one and I do mean no one would be happier than I would be. Ground breaking eh !!!!

Macky xx
            Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
            Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

I could describe pneumex but I think it would be a lot easier if you look at the website, there are pix of some of the therapies. www.pneumex.com . I had to call the company to find a provider in my area. There are 2 things with pneumex she's using, the treadmill while unweighted and the special back machine. The dr. is also doing adjustments and using a Cox table to derotate the spine (he loosens the lower part of his table so it moves freely, places his hand on her lumbar area to put pressure on it while rotating the table with his free hand, takes a certain amount of physical strength) We don't know if it's working, but she feels her spine afterward, and it looks like it's moved over some. Wearing the brace in between also helps to improve her posture, in fact, it's very difficult to tell she has scoliosis at all in her brace. Are you familiar with the Spinecor. It's an elastic brace, quite a few people are using it on this forum. It's hardly noticeable under clothes. I think people with smaller curves (under 30?) are having great success with it, I don't know how well it's working for the larger curves, but it really straightens my daughter out when she's wearing it so I think that's beneficial in it's own way. I think you are absolutely, 100% right about the risks. I too would love to know if this is going to work in the long run but if we don't try, then for sure, we won't know.

Take care, you have a great attitude. Sherie.

Comment

X-rays!

Hi everyone! I know it's been so long since I've posted, but I've just been super busy. I don't really have a lot of time to write now, but I'll post the essentials! We took x-rays a while ago and once again, everything improved. =) I was really excited. The main curve improved ten degrees, which we weren't really expecting because we're just concentrating on the neck and pelvic curves, but it was a nice surprise anyway! =) We added four pounds on the head weight, so now it's 8 pounds. It'll help with getting the biggest curve lower. Hmm..other than that, we're just doing some new things! Haha, I realize I'm not being very specifc, but I'm on a time constraint - - calc test tomorrow!
                Last edited by curvycakes; 07-04-2008, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Curvy,
                  This is excellent news! This chiropractic work you are untertaking is far more intensive and specific than anything theyve ever tried for me. Some of the procedures you are enduring are reminiscent of experiments I thought of conducting on myself. I hope that perhaps I (and all of us here) will get to run into such a healer!

-BaDnOn

Comment

Working...
                  X