Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

doc recommendations in southern ct (yale)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doc recommendations in southern ct (yale)?

I just went for my first xray since 1992 - and sure enough both my rods are cracked. I live in southern ct - and the doctor i saw today recommended a surgeon through Yale -i was wondering if anyone knew of anyone in this area that really specializes in revision - maybe even in nyc..... and do you usually need surgery once you find out the rods are broken??? i don't have TOO much pain at the moment....
    i had Cotrel-Dubousset (CD) rod surgery in 1991 -when i was 17 and really haven't had any problems - until now....
    Thanks for any input,
    Robyn
    Last edited by robynhoffman; 02-21-2006, 08:25 PM.

revision doctor

The forum listed below deals with revisions; you might find a good surgeon there. I think they have a list.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flatback_Revised

Karen
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Robyn,

To answer your question about getting surgery when you have broken rods, well it depends if you want to and have too much pain. In my case I was in a lot of discomfort and it got worse with time, with all the clicking and grinding and that's why I decided to have surgery to replace the rod, the screws and add fusion. It's all unique to everybody, depending where the breakage is. You probably have an area of non union in your fusion-hence the reason of the breakage- wich is always best to get fixed, but it's your decision's and your ortho's as well.

Good luck to you.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
      X