No announcement yet.

Your Opinions, Please,..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, thanks you guys! You've made feel a lot better,... Even when the Dr was saying what she did, I was still thinking in the back of my head, "Blah, blah, blah,.. I'm still trying Shriner's, too". I didn't say anything more to her because I just don't have the experience or knowledge about Shriner's to do it so I didn't tell her that I didn't care what she had to say, but I thought it. Don't worry, ladies,.. I'm still going to try to get in with Shriner's.

Should I call a specific number though? Because the other day when I called, I had to leave a message, and when they called back I spoke with a wonderful gal for quite a period of time, but she's actually sending me the applications, and requested that I also send in pictures from all the angels to show all the various curves and issues with the girls,.. she said that might speed things along. She didn't offer to do it over the phone, and kept stressing on sending me the applications for ALL the girls, and so I didn't end up asking about it. Although now I do recall she said she had only worked there a few months. She said as soon as I get the apps in to plan on a 2-3 week wait, but I should call and check the status after 1 week. She, too, encouraged me that we'd get in, and they don't care one hoot about income or insurance.

I agree with everything you both said,.. I certainly was feeling that way, but it's difficult for me to speak up on something I don't know enough about,.. unlike when she started trying to talk to me about NF, and at first acted like I probably needed all this information about it, and I was able to inform her otherwise, including that I even possess one of the best physician's reference manuals on Neurofibromatosis. There probably isn't any information, of info they give out anyway, that she could give me that I don't already know. She finally changed her look, and ended up telling me she was impressed and that I was one of the most well-educated NF parents she'd ever met. Well, I don't know about that, but I know enough to ask informed questions, and press anything I feel uncomfortable about.... I'm working on that now with the Scoliosis/Kyphosis/Lordosis, LOL.

This gal started out nice, and the appt. did go well, but she also did rub me raw on a few subjects,.. one being Shriner's, another being homeschooling,.. anyone could tell she's "anti-homeschooling",... she kept asking all these questions, but not in a friendly-inquisitive sort of way,.. it was a judicial, condemning, and disapproving manner, and it really got my goat.

One thing I am finding with Kaiser, is that no, they absolutely do not like their patients going outside "the circle", and another thing,.. they don't like to do much for 'preventative' as far as doing anything before their are symptoms that are causing problems. Like with my oldest,.. that Dr said let's wait a year (even though she NEEDS to be seen NOW),.. wait for what, for her to be ten times worse?? The oncologist for my youngest daughter seems to have a similar approach,... her tumors are growing, there is cause for concern about keeping her vision intact so she doesn't go blind, and also concern about her pituitary gland being breached and putting her into instant puberty at the age of 6/7,.. of course we don't want to start chemotherapy too soon, but his comment about how they don't usually like to treat until there are visibal symptoms,.. such as an actual loss of vision (hello,..that you can't get back!), and about the pituitary,.. "she'll initially be excessively thirsty and start peeing all the time",.. WHAT?? What the?? I don't want to do anything too early, but darn it, I don't want to wait until something is beginning into the "too late" phase of anything either, you know? Yet, so many of these doctors supposedly come highly rated,... at least within 'the circle', and from other families I know. I suppose I should just stay on my toes and see how it goes,.... perhaps I'll end up looking into other carriers/plans.

Well, now thanks for letting me vent, LOL! I'm so glad I have you both on my side,.......... It's not easy to keep up a strong front by one's self, which is exactly my position 99% of the time. Alone on everything... and I'm technically not supposed to be (married 14 years in May),.. I can't wait until we can relocate so I can be around people I know again.

(((BIG HUGS)))

Comment

Butterfly,

Happy to help and support you any way I can. The nationwide number for Shriners is 1-800-237-5055. But if you go on their website (www.shrinershq.org) there is a dropdown menu listing all the hospitals around the country - just select the one nearest you and you should see their direct number.

And I know EXACTLY what you mean about not debating with the doctor. Two years ago, when I brought up the stapling procedure to our doctor at that time, I did not know much about Shriners either. So I just let her tell me how the stapling was "experimental" and then I just went home and contacted Shriners myself. She may have had the degree up on the wall, but in my gut I knew I was doing the right thing for my son. And I'm so glad I did not let her intimidate me into thinking that she knew it all and I knew nothing (which, looking back, is I think how she felt).

That's another thing I love about Dr. D'Andrea (our doc at Shriners). She discusses everything with me and really takes my opinions into consideration. After David's surgery, when they thought he might need a transfusion, she and I had a conversation and decided to wait until after the next blood drawing and, sure enough, his levels started coming up and no transfusion was needed. Again, recently, I told her I wasn't thrilled with xrays every 4 months (b/c of the radiation exposure). She thought about it and said "OK we'll do it every 6 months" at least until he hits puberty when we may need to watch it closer. I have found that at Shriners, not only is nobody interested in your money or your insurance - but there are no big egos, everybody works as a team with one goal in mind: what's best for your child.

If you have any questions about applying to Shriners or if I can be of help in any way, just ask. We've all pretty much been where you are right now

take care,
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

I just wanted to comment that when I first was diagnosed with scoliosis at my local hospital, apparently they don't have many patients with scoliosis/spina bifida occulta(minor spina bifida) and started freaking out about it and only took the one xray, no side xray. They sent me away to U of Iowa hospital, where they took two xrays, dismissed my spina bifida occulta as nothing, said my scoliosis wasn't very bad at all, didn't even tell me the exact measurements, and said I had kyphosis, too, but again, didn't tell me anything, and redirected me to the physical therapist, after giving me tips about shoving my shoulders back to help.

When I got to the physical therapist, she gave me a back roll for stability and told me to pull my body up like being on a string, but DON'T push your shoulders back.

The guy I went to was Stuart L. Weinstein, M.D.

Save the confusion, go to a shriner's hospital!

-Susannah
        Susannah

Comment

You may have to do some of the research and legwork yourself

I'd be tempted to go to her doctor and ask for copies of those x-rays and evaluate them yourself, or (preferably) have them evaluated by another doctor. It's actually pretty simple to calculate a curve by the Cobb method from a frontal plane x-ray of the spinal column if the curve is pretty well isolated on the x-ray (meaning that the full extent of the curve is visible).

By law (at least in most places), those records do belong to you, and you have the right to inspect and/or copy them whenever you see fit. If the x-rays are good enough quality, there's no reason to expose your daughter to more x-rays than absolutely necessary to get a correct diagnosis.

With most MD's, you have to be persistent and educate yourself before you go in. Most have a high enough patient load that they don't have more than 15 to 20 minutes to review charts and records before seeing you, and don't always keep up-to-date on current research and treatment options unless it's something that is his/her direct specialty.

Here's a website that gives a quick illustration of measuring curves by the Cobb method:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020501/1817.html
          28 degrees cervicothoracic, 34 degrees thoracolumbar, not diagnosed until age 34. Get yourself and your children screened early!

Comment

Working...
          X