View Poll Results: How many scoliosis spine surgeries have you had?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll

35 41.18%

27 31.76%

9 10.59%

6 7.06%

3 3.53%

1 1.18%

1 1.18%

1 1.18%

0 0%
  • 10+

2 2.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Spine Surgeries have you had?

How many Spine Surgeries have you had?

We are trying to get a profile of the number of spine surgeries members have had for scoliosis. Please help us by repsonding to the poll. A procedure would include inititial fusion, subsequent corrections, rod removals, revisions etc.

Thanks.
    Best Regards,

JOB

Hi Joe...

What about people who have multiple procedures either on the same day or some days apart?

--Linda

procedures

Linda:

For this poll, if it is an anterior/posterior surgery on the same day then it would be one procedure. If is staged on different days then it would be two procedures.

If someone requires a seperate surgery to repair a slipped screw or broken rod, even though it is during the same hospital stay as the initial surgery, then I would also consider that another procedure.

Thanks for the question. Hope that helps.
    Best Regards,

JOB

Two Surgeries and now a Pregnancy

I was diagnosed with scolosis when i was 11 years old. I had my first surgery to correct the scolosis in 1996, i am fused from T4-L4. I had to have second surgery in 2001 because the bone graft too exceptionally well over the rod but not at all over the hardware. The hardware was tearing my right scapula muscle almost all the time so for six years i was in constant pain, the same surgeon that did the surgery the first time did the second which helped a lot as well. Now i am pregnant with my first child and anxiously worried if the scolosis will bother me through the pregnancy or not.

I had surgery when I was 13, almost 10 years ago, and being that I am almost 23 and thinking of marriage/pregnancy, I was curious as to if anyone has any input about "scoliosis and pregnancy." Has anyone every had a curvature, fusion, and then been pregnant and undergone childbirth? I have two rods in my back and a fusion, so I am curious as to how your pregnancy/childbirth went. Anything specific need to be done? Thanks!

Julie

Hi Julie...

I know many women who have had scoliosis surgery and then had children. The only complication that your scoliosis and/or fusion might affect would be that you might not be able to get an epidural for pain relief. You can read the abstract of a study on scoliosis and pregnancy here:

http://www.spinejournal.org/article....S=13&PAGE=1449

Regards,
    Linda

I had the same questions about pregnancy/scoliosis...i found some encouraging stuff on the internet.. apparently there is no reason to believe that pregnancy affects scoloisis patients different from people who do not have scoliosis..here is a medical report i found on the NSF website:

http://www.scoliosis.org/resources/m...dpregnancy.php

~gail

How many surgeries have you had

Hi
    I have had 2, I guess, even though I never think of it that way!
    My first surgery was in January 1992 at Brigham and Women's
    Hospital in Boston. Harrington/Luque rods were inserted
    to stabilize and, hopefully, correct scoliosis. I did get some correction at that time.

The second surgery was in about 1995 and the only thing done was that my original surgeon removed the bottom hook from
    the rod. (He felt that it was contributing to pain.) Very minor
    surgery. It was done prior to my Indiana Pouch surgery, while I was under anesthesia for the pouch!

Carole

P.S. That first surgery was to correct two curves, one in the 90 degree range, and the other in the high 80's. I am fused from T6 to L5.
    Last edited by Carole; 02-13-2004 at 08:40 PM.
    Carole

Cool scoliosis and pregnancy

Hi Julie, Gail and Danigirl,
    I had Harrington Rods when I was 12, and went on to have 3 children. I had an epidural with my little girl, the 3rd child, and had no problems what so ever (I'm fused to L2).
    The only problems I had at all were quite a bit of lower back pain, but I don't know that it was any worse than it would have been had I not had scoliosis & rods.
    My best advice would be to enjoy this exciting time in your lives and try not to worry too much. I don't know of a single person that had problems caused by the scoliosis or the rods during pregnancy and only 1 person that I know personally that couldn't have an epidural and she is fused to the sacrum.
    Good luck to you all and feel free to contact me if I can answer any questions.
    Be safe and God Bless,
    Debbie

Question Sporadic paralysis progressive scoliosis sacrum L4-L5 To address the acute pelvic

To address the acute pelvic pain and continual paralysis of my left leg, resulting from progressive scoliosis near the sacrum L4-L5 exacerbated by spasmodic piriformis impacting the sciatic nerve and arthritic osteoporosis, surgery seems to be indicated. I haven't had any surgery yet and have had only negative feedback from my geriatric friends about that option. DOB 1925, had 4 kids, epi twice.

When should electro stimulation, physical therapy and chiropractic adjustments be considered futile and surgery mandatory?

How long ago should my PCP have mentioned to me that I have severe scoliosis and been proactive in referring me to Orthopedic Surgeon for further evaluation?

MetaEpistemic...

To answer your questions:

Alternative treatments are futile if they're not helping with your pain. Only you can tell if they're worthwhile. Just so you know, no alternative treatment will permanently reduce structural scoliosis curves, but you may get some pain relief. In regard to surgery, only you will know when it's time. Your friends don't know what it's like for you, and trying to convince you to not have surgery may be bad advice.

Your doctor should have told you about your scoliosis when it was diagnosed. If s/he didn't, then perhaps you might want to ask why.

Regards,
    Linda

Hi there.
    Linda gave you the very best advice that I could think of. She is very knowledgeable, and I could not have said it better than she did. I do think you may need to know the percentage of your curvature in order to discuss it with medical people. But, if you are in such pain, that could be the decision maker. Whatever you decide, I do hope you will keep us posted. We all are in the same or similar boat!
    Sincerely,
    Carole
    Carole

Smile Hi, Joe

Am so glad to have this forum now! I've been a member and subscriber to The Spinal Connection for over 15 years. You and I met after I had my fusion in 1992 and you were riding across America on your bike. Bob and I attended an NSF reception for you in Syracuse, NY, and then he rode with you the next day for about 30 miles east toward Albany (he was and still is an avid biker).

Donna
    Donna R

Pregnancy, Epidural and Fused Spine

Well, I have less than 70 days left till my due date and have spoken with the anesthesiologist.

I guess, Debbie, those two lower Lumbar vertebrae that I have fused is the difference between being able to have an epidural and not.

Right now, I'm still looking at being completely put out for a c-section or going natural.

But I do realize that had I not had the T4-L4 fusion, I wouldn't be carrying this beautiful baby either, so it's all relative, I suppose.

Dani

Luckily, only 1.