No announcement yet.

back itching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My posterior surgery was closed by a plastic surgeon, and yes both scars itch and the skin around it does too. My plastic surgeon said to gently massage Aquaphor Original Ointment on after showering and it has helped significantly. My anterior scar was just stitched up and I only rub Benadryl Anti Itch Cream around it ..........not on it directly.
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Comment

hi mattie.
      i remember my back itching like crazy for what seemed like an eternity.
      i used alpha keri lotion which helped the most. i also put vitaminn e oil on the scar.
      sadly, it's going to itch for a while and scratching is not going to help that much. be sure to moisturize plenty around you scar and it won't be so bad.

take care
      rem

Comment

Here is one my dad set me onto. It is called Bag Balm. It is in a green can which you can find a Walgreens. It was used back in the day to rub on cow's tits to keep them smooth. The farmers figured out it stopped itching and made their skin smooth. For real, look it up.
        March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
        15 1/2 Hours
        Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Some times my back itches real bad and sometimes I can go about a week without it itching. When I put lotion on my scar it helps, but it is hard to reach. I have my husband put lotion on my scar when he's around and I start itching. I think I am going to try to find a long handled sponge, that way I can put the lotion on myself.
          My husband told me the best thing for scars to help them fade is Vitamin E.
          We have lloquid Vitamin E and I have used it a few times but not consistently.
          Thanks for the replies. Mattie

Comment

Mattie,
            I'm 16 months post op and still have itching fits from time to time...I think Jen Q might be onto something in regards to the nerves healing. At one point in time, my entire back and right hip were numb and all of it itched like crazy. As the sensation comes back (slowly), I've noticed that the areas that are no longer numb don't itch but the ones that are still numb do still have those itching fits!

Comment

Itching internal and external is good....

As you can see from all the replies it is a normal process during the healing of your body from the surgery. Take good care not to scatch it too much. The intenal itching is definitely very aggravating, but I had the same problem after my small intestion surgery a few years back.Have someone give you a rub when it itches like that.
              As for good creams to use on the scars I found udder butter to work well (sold at horse feed stores) or try the Hand Remedy protective conditioner by Earth Therapeutics (has shea butter and alpha-hydroxy in it) the latter one I used for a bad scar on my leg last year and now it has virtually disappeared.

Comment

Working...
              X