back itching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back itching

My back itches all the time. It feels like it's inside. I asked the Dr. and he said it is healing and causing it to itch. Has anyone else had the back itch alot after surgery. It has been 3 months since surgery. Everything is looking good and going good according to the Dr. I am doing my PT now and it is going real good. Just the itching is awful. Day and night but mainly in the evening and night. Maybe because I am busy during the day and don't notice it as much. Just was wondering if maybe it is a allergic reaction to the hardware. When I asked the Dr. he said he didn't think so. Maybe it will soon go away or ease up.

I remember mine itching too. I wouldn't worry about it much. I think wounds itch when they're healing and scarring anyways. I put a moisturizing lotion on my back after I shower and that helps me (I'm 9 years post-op and it still itches from time to time)

Comment

Hi Mattie...

Is it the type of itch that scratching doesn't effect? I have that from time to time by my anterior scar.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Mattie, My back has been very itchy. The last month hasn't been so bad. I think it is finally going away. I have also had the kind of itching that Linda is talking about. My husband would put shea butter and lotion with shea butter on my back every night at bedtime and every morning. It helped quite a bit.
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

back itching

I don't care how much I scratch it still itches. It itches along my incision mostly. But sometimes it feels like it itches all the way inside. It is awful. I put lotion on and after I do it helps but not for long then it starts again.
          I guess it is just one of the things I have to live with. Thanks for the replies, at least I know now that I am not the only one that is bothered by this.

Comment

Hi Mattie...

I think the itch on the surface is different than the other itch. It sounds like you have very sensitive skin. I do as well. I've found that I need to avoid scratching, because once I start, it just gets worse. Now, when I have an itch that won't go away by itself, I apply an icepack, which usually resolves the problem.

If these problems don't go away soon, be sure to mention them to your surgeon.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

After my surgeries i had a lot of itching as well...to the point where it would wake me up in the middle of the night..i think its just the process of healing. My back also still itches occasionally and nothing helps
              18 year old female
              scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
              corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
              After second surgery, fusion was a success.
              Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
              Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Comment

Mattie

I feel like the itching is on the inside. I know it is probably from the healing.
                But at first I thought maybe I was allergic to the hardware. My dr. says it is just healing. My scar itches also, but that can get relieved, but the inside is what is the worse. Well good luck to all of you and try to do what you can to relieve the itches. I will do the same. Thanks for the suggestions, I will try anything to see if it helps.
                Mattie

Comment

itching

Hi Mattie

I had a Harrington Rod inserted some 21 yrs ago and remember the itching all to well it was like it was itching inside and no matter how I rubbed or scratched the skin it did not help. It continued for a couple of years after the surgery, I came to the conclusion it was a nerve sensation not an actual itch. not sure if I am correct but it is a thought, I could relieve it by flicking the skin, all the best.

Cheers Jen Q

Comment

Back itching

Hi Mattie -
                    Just thought I would let you know that I had the same problem with my back itching after my surgery in 2000 - it was driving me CRAZY!! I had suffered with it for quite awhile until I mentioned it to my physical medicine doctor during one visit. He gave me a prescription for Nortriptyline caps 10 mg, a generic for Pamelor, an antidepressant. He explained that I didn't need it for depression; for some reason this medication reduces the itching - and he was right. I no longer have the back itch. I don't like taking yet another medication but this was worth it. I will be trying soon to wean off of it to see if the itching stays away. Just another option for you.
                    trulyaries
                    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Back itching

Hi all, my itching is getting less. I think maybe I am healing inside and that is helping. I am going through my PT now and I believe all this combined is helping. Good luck to all.
                      Mattie

Comment

This may be weird, but my back feels itchy sometimes, and when I go to scratch it it is in an area that still feels numb from my surgery! I guess it's like a lot of you said that it is the process of healing. But darn it is hard to get to those spots and scratch it or put lotion on it! Darn scoliosis!

Comment

judyk, I know mine feels the same way. I have areas that feel numb, and other areas that are tender. I guess it's just something we have to live with......................Mattie

Comment

Yes, I think this is normal. I am 2 months post op and have had quite a bit of itching. About 2 weeks after it was real bad. I think it may have been the sutures inside dissolving. It still itches time to time. My fiancee has some nice long nails and takes care of it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa
                              Hi Mattie, My back has been very itchy. The last month hasn't been so bad. I think it is finally going away. I have also had the kind of itching that Linda is talking about. My husband would put shea butter and lotion with shea butter on my back every night at bedtime and every morning. It helped quite a bit.
                              If you wouldn't mind would you tell me what this shea butter is? I know alot of my itching problem is from pain meds but will try anything.
                              Thanks, Jess
                              March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
                              15 1/2 Hours
                              Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                              X