Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IVC filters.

The procedure was painless and easy.
    Took about one hour to install and then about 4-5 hours in recovery and then home. It was conscious sedation, meaning you are awake during the procedure but I felt nothing at all.
    An IVC filter is used for preventing pulmonary embolisms in anterior/posterior back surgery patients.
    Prophylactic IVC filter placement appears to substantially decrease the PE rate from 6-12% to zero.
    A catheter is guided into the IVC using fluoroscopic guidance, then the filter is pushed through the catheter and deployed into the desired location, usually just below the junction of the IVC and the lowest renal vein.

I am on restrictions for 48 hours, no bending, no lifting, no straining and then can go back to normal activities.

Just posting this for any future patients who may get one for their surgery.
    It was a piece of cake, it is retrievable. Mine will be in from now until about 5-6 months after my anterior/posterior spinal fusion.
    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
    Curve post op = 20 degrees
    No pain anymore!!
    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Forgive me for lack of knowledge, but how did you know you needed it? I had problems with my chest tube and lack the technical term for the type of embolism I had, but am still scared that something could happen 3 months post op. Am I worried for nothing?
    Jennlynn
    Mother of 2 boys, ages 4 & 2
    Fused L5-T5.
    Curve 68* & 53* pre-op, 39 & 37 post.

Comment

Originally posted by jennlynn
      Forgive me for lack of knowledge, but how did you know you needed it? I had problems with my chest tube and lack the technical term for the type of embolism I had, but am still scared that something could happen 3 months post op. Am I worried for nothing?
      I'm not a doctor, only a patient like yourself.
      My surgeon who is doing my surgery on 2/9 and 2/16, said he installs them in all his anterior/posterior patients because blood clots are the major risk with this type of surgery.
      Perhaps his reasoning is that he does the two surgeries a week apart and the risk of a clot is higher.
      The surgeon who installed it said he has done all of my surgeons patients installs.

I do not know if you should be concerned about your situation or not but if you have questions, do not be afraid to call your surgeon, that is what he is there for.

Best wishes for a speedy and healthy recovery.
      36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
      Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
      Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
      Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
      Curve post op = 20 degrees
      No pain anymore!!
      Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Working...
      X